==[ The 20th Anniversary Mapping Contest - 20AC ]==

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Sinnical
Average

Re: ==[ The 20th Anniversary Mapping Contest - 20AC ]==

Post by Sinnical »

papercoffee wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:34 am
Sinnical wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:17 pm I'm interested
As part of the contest or as a bonus content.
I don't really wanna win anything. Just wanna make a map :) so bonus I guess
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Thanks for the replies guys.

@evilgrins: While everyone likes puppies, I think getting a dead one in the mail might be problematic. ;)

@Renegade: Steam gift cards are always very useful, but.....it's seems like giving someone money for their birthday...it screams "I had no better ideas!". But, a good idea, thanks :)

@UnrealGGecko: GOG is very possible. Maybe UT GOTY either on Steam or GOG, whichever is preferred by the winner? I think this sounds like a possible solution.

Thanks again guys. I think I'm stressed mainly because gifting contest winners is really the only way I earn my keep in the community. :(
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Carbon wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:11 pm I think I'm stressed mainly because gifting contest winners is really the only way I earn my keep in the community. :(
Pal... That's unhealthy thinking.
I feel more like, we exploit your generosity...
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

How is it going folks ...any previews of your nice maps?
XaNKoNII
Skilled
Personal rank: Phenix

Post by XaNKoNII »

papercoffee wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:46 pm How is it going folks ...any previews of your nice maps?
Im intending a Battle Royale map (or a cool Last man Standing) for both the contest and the Classic ut99 server, this may very well end up as collab between me and a maper/coder :mrgreen:

This is the sketch and the first whiteboxing wich im making to adjust first the layout before I we go into the design stage.
I gotta be honest, my course on Landscape architecture started and im gonna bleed it into the design :lol2:

OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

XaNKoNII wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:22 pm I gotta be honest, my course on Landscape architecture started and im gonna bleed it into the design
That sounds like a very interesting and exciting combination - looking forward to the result - good luck with the map and with the course :tu:
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Post by fudgonaut »

So I was working on my first CTF map early this year. I was hoping to get back to it, but life got in the way. My landlord is selling our building so we're in a mad scramble to move and I don't have the bandwidth to finish the map. I can no longer afford to live in the state of Washington, it's simply too expensive, which means I'll probably be moving back East near my family, which means I won't have time to work on this (or much else) for many months.

Would anyone be interested in taking over map development, for submission as a bonus map? Or interest in just finishing the map at all?

The following has been completed:
- Geometry
- Textures (99% original textures by yours truly)
- Zoning
- Music (a killer track)
- Sound FX

The following is mostly done but could use finesse:
- Ligting
- Weapon + Pickup Placement

What it really needs is someone good at pathing. I have (what I believe is) a fairly streamlined set of pathnodes set up, but the gameplay is not great. The nodes need some love to get bots to take some of the routes across the map. It could be made really interesting/fun with the right skills (which I have not had the bandwidth to learn)

I'm pretty pleased with it - it's got an interesting/fun Redeemer placement, a neat skybox trick, and the animated water is pretty badass if I do say so myself. It's not small, about 30mb all told.

I'd hate to see my efforts go to waste. Any takers?
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

@fudgonaut
We would count it as team effort ...and for a Bonus Map would this be really awesome!
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Ok so me and RoninMastaFX are planning on teaming up, and was gonna ask if we can submit it as a contest entry? Its gonna be an original DOM map, currently still in design stage.

I am also finishing a small DM arena that'd probably put it in the Bonus maps. Trouble is it got absolutely wrecked by the G0blin :( , once I finish fixing stuff like invisible walls and platforms, I should be done with it.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

btw. Did you put RoninMasta and your self on the participant list?
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:28 am No not yet, will do if I get the ok from you all :P
Added you and RM-FX
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Flak promised us an Epic goody bag so don't worry about the prize.
@Carbon even without the box sets for prizes you are a very valued contributor to the community.
Porch Viking
Average

Post by Porch Viking »

I'm interested, but I won't have time to work on a map for a couple weeks. I'm in crunch time trying to finish up my Xan cosplay for the last big convention this year.

Once that's taken care of, then I can focus on mapping. I'm thinking a small 3-4 player deathmatch map, to limit the scope. I burned myself out hard with that city map last time around.
darksonny
Adept

Post by darksonny »

Dr.Flay wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:01 am Flak promised us an Epic goody bag so don't worry about the prize.
@Carbon even without the box sets for prizes you are a very valued contributor to the community.
Carbon what about, instead lookin' hardly in current times for a nice ut/unreal box, to make a sort of miniature (example:An U logo key chain, mini statuette about a skin like malcom, skaarj or whatever ut/unreal related), shirt/bag/cap/wristband/U-belt with the u logo or similar to these things? Maybe you could try to talk first Flak to see if they allow this unusual one-per-year prize ideas?
I second DrFlay idea