Question, Laser Color UTtech3 Bolt texture

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
KillRoy1972
Experienced

Question, Laser Color UTtech3 Bolt texture

Post by KillRoy1972 »

Hey,

So I am playing with my map I'm making for the contest, but now I have something I con not firuge out.

I'm pretty much novice when it comes to mapping, learnign every day, and I know the basics of mapping (i guess) but I have a problem.

So in the map I want to block some area with a visual, and I found the BOLT texture in the UTtech3 Deco package.

PRetty straigh forward, using a sheet, set it to non-lit, masked and traslucent and does the job very good imo. (pic 1)

But because it is a CTF map, I want to have the same "lasers" in the blue base, and here we have the problem, the color. I want it to be blue (pic 2 ugh!)

Simple question, How do I make this blue?

Seems to me the 'texture' is not reallt a texture, but a generated thing i think. First I thought it was a aminated texture, but I can not export it, alter the color and import it again.

Any Ideas on how to do this, Again I am really novice when it comes to coding and stuff, so keep it simple or a step-by-step guide is appreciated.

Or maybe even other ideas on how to make it in other ways..

Thanx!
Attachments
Shot0017.jpg
Shot0018.jpg
Tyr
Skilled

Re: Question, Laser Color UTtech3 Bolt texture

Post by Tyr »

This texture isn't a real image. It's an animated fire texture. If you right click on the texture and go into the properties you see that this is an effect on a black background. So at first, you can create a new texture in your MyLevel with class "Fire Texture" and size 256 x 32. You can snipe the settings for the fire effect from the bolt texture (see Firepaint properties).

You must set a color palette under Texture -> Palette in the texture properties. Open the file Palette.utx. Select the texture you want to use and click "use" in the Palette row of your fire texture.

Now you can draw the effect onto the black box in the texture properties window with blue color. It's a bit fiddly because it's freehand and you can't draw straight lines.

Released:
KillRoy1972
Experienced

Post by KillRoy1972 »

I see, I am also interested if someone has a answer for it.

Anyway, I came up with a decent alternative.

I made two textures, one red and one blue.
basically I draw a line 1 pixel wide accros the whole black background (128x42). Added a darker line next to the base line so the beam is three pixes wide. Added some noise to it (lighter and darker parts)

imported it to the editor, added it to the brush, made it trasnlucent, masked it and unlit, and streched it out 1 to 100 and made the texture pan, added coronas..

Now it looks loke a laser, in the color i want and it has some various to it. (pic 1 yay!)
Attachments
Shot0019.jpg
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Those are some nice lazers, good job!

Topic bookmarked, as I am quite interested in this as well, love me some lazers! :) might make a CTF4 map with them sometime.
Tyr
Skilled

Post by Tyr »

KillRoy1972 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:44 pm imported it to the editor, added it to the brush, made it trasnlucent, masked it and unlit, and streched it out 1 to 100 and made the texture pan, added coronas..
Hefty amount for that effect. I had build a fire texture, added coronas and bam! ;)
Released:
KillRoy1972
Experienced

Post by KillRoy1972 »

Okay, I've done it!

Made me some lasers the way you discribed..

Pretty easy once you know how to do it!

THNX!!

BTW, the drawing is a bit of a strugle, but when you hold down to pointer, the drawer can not get out of the drawing box, so drawing a straight line with the edges as a guideline is pretty easy after a few times!
Attachments
Shot0026.jpg
Tyr
Skilled

Post by Tyr »

Very nice! Good work! :tu:
Released: