The most RiDiCuLoUs Mapping Contest!

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: The most RiDiCuLoUs Mapping Contest!

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:27 pm ...has a curious purple tile pattern on the floor at the top and bottom of the staircase which seems kind of out of place as it matches nothing else on the map. The Warlord did a lot of damage before it was killed; average health for one of those is 1100, this one is closer to 1260.

Aren't those steps where the weapons are?

The Warlord's health is curious as, when its default properties are viewed in the editor, it is 1100 but in the map it's 1265. EDIT - it's because the Warlord's default property BIsBoss is set to True which gives it a 15% health boost - 1100 + 165 = 1265.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

This was easily the fastest review I did, and not for good reasons.

DOM-RMC-DOM_RM_c
· The tiniest map yet.
· Technically 1 weapon, dispersion.
· Music is a decent remix.
· 1 Nali Fruit.
· Badly positioned Stone Titan.

When I saw the filename of the .zip I was confused how anyone could make a tiny Assault map; AS-RMC-HugeRooms being the filename. However what was inside was in fact a Domination map with only 1 Control Point, and I'm not sure how to put it any other way but this is a HORRIBLE map!

First off, there are no textures:

ReadMe file says not to use the texture file that's in the .zip, which was okay as I already had that but even so... that in the screenshot on all surfaces is the default texture to indicate there are no textures. Also, as can clearly be seen the Nali Fruit and Control Point are too high off the ground to reach. From what he posted earlier in the thread the Stone Titan causes a lot of bouncing, so I'm assuming players would get bounced up to where they could touch those things... except for 1 other problem.

Literally the moment the map starts, the Stone Titan dies. Tried giving it a go, just to see, with no bots but it died all the same... which nixed any bouncing and thus makes the map fairly pointless.

The impression I get is the Stone Titan is supposed to be outside the room, causing things to bounce as it rampages out there, but each time I started the map you can see it's ½ merged with the room.

Which is probably what killed it.

There's armor in a small alcove on a wall, though I'm unsure if it would even be reachable with the bouncing that is not viable.

For what it's worth, the .zip file was a mess too. There are 2 copies of the map in there, in different directories, possibly the one I didn't play is the better version. Also the directories in the .zip are the typical ones you'd see to indicate where the files should go, but none of the files are in their correct places for that either.

I may do a followup review of the other identically named map in the .zip later.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Perhaps the map author interpreted 'ridiculous' too literally (thinking it applied to the maps rather than to the contest) - the map is, after all, "arousing or deserving ridicule : extremely silly or unreasonable : absurd, preposterous" :P
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

OjitroC wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:05 pm
EvilGrins wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:27 pm ...has a curious purple tile pattern on the floor at the top and bottom of the staircase which seems kind of out of place as it matches nothing else on the map. The Warlord did a lot of damage before it was killed; average health for one of those is 1100, this one is closer to 1260.

Aren't those steps where the weapons are?

The Warlord's health is curious as, when its default properties are viewed in the editor, it is 1100 but in the map it's 1265. EDIT - it's because the Warlord's default property BIsBoss is set to True which gives it a 15% health boost - 1100 + 165 = 1265.
Interesting... I just put this guy into the map and didn't know he has a special setup.
EvilGrins wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:27 pm Name of the map isn't in the selection window. Again, not a big thing but it seems careless.
What do you mean?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:12 am
EvilGrins wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:27 pm Name of the map isn't in the selection window. Again, not a big thing but it seems careless.
What do you mean?
When you're selecting the map you wanna play, that little window to the right that shows a tiny screenshot of the map, recommended number of players, and who made the map? Where the map name typically is, your map has (untitled).
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Ah ... yeah I forget to put any level info into the map.
I'll gonna fix this.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

DM-RMC-TitansChamberV1
· Very nice space.
· 2 weapons, pulse & shock.
· Star Wars themed music, nice!
· Health packs, 1 armor.
· Stone Titan in chamber below the playspace.

This is a very well put together map, Star Wars theme & music definitely hitting my geek-spots nicely; Titan below the main play area vaguely reminiscent of the rancor from Return of the Jedi. There's a grating in the floor that allows the Stone Titan to see the players running above when they pass over, causing it to rampage which periodically shakes the whole map.

Bots use the whole space well.

Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

EvilGrins wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:30 amThere's a grating in the floor that allows the Stone Titan to see the players running above when they pass over
Pawns cannot "see" through masked textures - the kind of Brush instead of the Texture decide if Pawns are in a line of sight to other pawns. The reason that the Titan notices the players was probably the mover in the middle where the Titan can get a look at them when it opens.
(Have you tried shooting the switch close to the "matrix" sign? ;)
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

OjitroC wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:59 pm Perhaps the map author interpreted 'ridiculous' too literally (thinking it applied to the maps rather than to the contest) - the map is, after all, "arousing or deserving ridicule : extremely silly or unreasonable : absurd, preposterous" :P
Exactly that, I thought that was the point of the contest, like a troll contest. :loool:
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

PrinceOfFunky wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:19 pm Exactly that, I thought that was the point of the contest, like a troll contest. :loool:
The more I think about it, the funnier it is - the whole 'package' is absurd (in a good way) from the map itself to the muddled zip and readme - it' a work of art into which a lot of thought has gone.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Barbie wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:01 amHave you tried shooting the switch close to the "matrix" sign?
Nah, I tested it with bots.

*tries that*

Sounds like something opens, but I don't see anything opening in the play area or down below.
PrinceOfFunky wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:19 pmExactly that, I thought that was the point of the contest, like a troll contest.
While initially a silly idea, as many of mine are, I was kinda hoping some decent maps would come from this.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:10 pm Sounds like something opens, but I don't see anything opening in the play area or down below.
The floor under the armour opens but you need to turn around quickly to see it.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:53 pmThe floor under the armour opens but you need to turn around quickly to see it.
Or you could shoot it from the far side of the room to see it, therefore no need to turn.

Makes the map cooler, because you can even get down there... although the Stone Titan kills you almost immediately; you can even shoot at it through the flooring.

Would've worked better with a UTDMT, so it can score points too from whoever it kills.
Attachments
Shot0012.png
Shot0037.png
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

OjitroC wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:03 pm
PrinceOfFunky wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:19 pm Exactly that, I thought that was the point of the contest, like a troll contest. :loool:
The more I think about it, the funnier it is - the whole 'package' is absurd (in a good way) from the map itself to the muddled zip and readme - it' a work of art into which a lot of thought has gone.
Aw, thanks :D Did you check the screenshots in the zip and the MyLeveled creenshot?

Anyway the armor is reachable with the translocator (even if I didn't want it to be) and the control point is reachable thanks to the impact hammer.
The map follows every single rule that was written in the OP post.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Not sure if I am allowed to post this here, but I don't think it's worth it to start a WIP topic for this since I am close to finish it.

Like I mentioned earlier, I meant to do a quick map, and in this one I focused mostly on gameplay, and it ended up being far more fun than I expected.
I think I will call it DM-RMC-CrossInfestation, and here's how it currently looks like (it looks huge, but it's tiny as required, some folks like papercoffee will know what's going on here :mrgreen: ):

Only a bit of BSP and pickups are missing (for gameplay purposes only, I don't want to overdo it visually), but this is pretty much what my submission will look like.