The most RiDiCuLoUs Mapping Contest!

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
User avatar
ExpEM
Adept
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:48 am

Re: The most RiDiCuLoUs Mapping Contest!

Post by ExpEM » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:36 am

@EvilGrins, are you ready for the vote?
Signature goes here.

User avatar
EvilGrins
Godlike
Posts: 8884
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:12 pm
Personal rank: God of Fudge
Location: Palo Alto, CA

Re: The most RiDiCuLoUs Mapping Contest!

Post by EvilGrins » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:36 am

ExpEM wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:36 am
@EvilGrins, are you ready for the vote?
Soon...ish.

Don't want to get in the way of the No Rules mapping contest.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
Image
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758

User avatar
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:26 am
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko
Location: Kaunas, Lithuania

Re: The most RiDiCuLoUs Mapping Contest!

Post by UnrealGGecko » Sat May 28, 2022 9:11 pm

bumping this, cuz EG didn't do it yet....

if mappers are ok with this, should this be a mappack? :P

User avatar
EvilGrins
Godlike
Posts: 8884
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:12 pm
Personal rank: God of Fudge
Location: Palo Alto, CA

Re: The most RiDiCuLoUs Mapping Contest!

Post by EvilGrins » Sat May 28, 2022 10:01 pm

Yeah, I've been fairly scatterbrained lately.

All but 1 of the maps, because I forget which off hand but 1 mapper made a map deliberately bad and unplayable for his own definition of ridiculous.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
Image
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758

User avatar
OjitroC
Godlike
Posts: 3028
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: The most RiDiCuLoUs Mapping Contest!

Post by OjitroC » Sat May 28, 2022 10:55 pm

EvilGrins wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 10:01 pm
Yeah, I've been fairly scatterbrained lately.

All but 1 of the maps, because I forget which off hand but 1 mapper made a map deliberately bad and unplayable for his own definition of ridiculous.
PrinceofFunky was the mapper - No 2 map at the top of the thread - it was a literal (and not incorrect) interpretation of Ridiculous. I thought it was quite funny actually and quite skilled in how he managed to get everything required into such a small space. It is obviously unplayable but it can be entered.

User avatar
ExpEM
Adept
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:48 am

Re: The most RiDiCuLoUs Mapping Contest!

Post by ExpEM » Sun May 29, 2022 7:15 am

OjitroC wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 10:55 pm
EvilGrins wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 10:01 pm
Yeah, I've been fairly scatterbrained lately.

All but 1 of the maps, because I forget which off hand but 1 mapper made a map deliberately bad and unplayable for his own definition of ridiculous.
PrinceofFunky was the mapper - No 2 map at the top of the thread - it was a literal (and not incorrect) interpretation of Ridiculous. I thought it was quite funny actually and quite skilled in how he managed to get everything required into such a small space. It is obviously unplayable but it can be entered.
Yes funny, Yes rules were taken too literally, but please exclude from the pack, we don't need anyone come a year or two looking at the UT99 brand and going WTF is this shit? This forum is more or less the ONLY ONE LEFT for UT99... Let us not F__k up the image of the community here.

Edit: Nothing against you Prince, I just don't think it's good advertising for noobs is all.
Signature goes here.

User avatar
Feralidragon
Godlike
Posts: 5456
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:24 pm
Personal rank: Work In Progress
Location: Liandri

Re: The most RiDiCuLoUs Mapping Contest!

Post by Feralidragon » Sun May 29, 2022 1:53 pm

Yeah, broken maps should not be part of any pack at all.

It's fine as an "inside joke", as something only funny to those actually into map making, but because of that players wouldn't really get the joke and would just wonder why such a broken map would be in the pack at all.

User avatar
papercoffee
Godlike
Posts: 10148
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!
Location: Cologne, the city with the big cathedral.

Re: The most RiDiCuLoUs Mapping Contest!

Post by papercoffee » Sun May 29, 2022 3:56 pm

it's too good to be included ...I get it.

User avatar
EvilGrins
Godlike
Posts: 8884
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:12 pm
Personal rank: God of Fudge
Location: Palo Alto, CA

Re: The most RiDiCuLoUs Mapping Contest!

Post by EvilGrins » Sun May 29, 2022 4:38 pm

papercoffee wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 3:56 pm
it's too good to be included ...I get it.
Image Image Image
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
Image
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758

User avatar
OjitroC
Godlike
Posts: 3028
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: The most RiDiCuLoUs Mapping Contest!

Post by OjitroC » Sun May 29, 2022 6:36 pm

Interestingly, of the maps posted in this thread for downloading, that map has had the most downloads - make of that what you will.
Feralidragon wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 1:53 pm
It's fine as an "inside joke", as something only funny to those actually into map making,
I thought it was funny and I'm not into map making - I merely saw the absurd/ridiculous angle, it's piece of Absurdist art perhaps?

Since the map has been up in this thread for over 2.5 years without any overt objection might it not be appropriate to include it WITH an explanation in the Map Pack Readme perhaps setting out EG's review of it and PoF's comments in this thread on why he made it the way he did?

User avatar
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:26 am
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko
Location: Kaunas, Lithuania

Re: The most RiDiCuLoUs Mapping Contest!

Post by UnrealGGecko » Sun May 29, 2022 11:03 pm

I could do something like this: not include it but point to it in the readme with a link, just for the curious, sound good? :P

Love ya Funky but frig sake I remember that and... Yeaaaaaaa :mrgreen:

User avatar
ExpEM
Adept
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:48 am

Re: The most RiDiCuLoUs Mapping Contest!

Post by ExpEM » Sun May 29, 2022 11:14 pm

UnrealGGecko wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 11:03 pm
I could do something like this: not include it but point to it in the readme with a link, just for the curious, sound good? :P

Love ya Funky but frig sake I remember that and... Yeaaaaaaa :mrgreen:
This is probably the best option.
Signature goes here.

User avatar
OjitroC
Godlike
Posts: 3028
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: The most RiDiCuLoUs Mapping Contest!

Post by OjitroC » Mon May 30, 2022 12:11 am

UnrealGGecko wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 11:03 pm
I could do something like this: not include it but point to it in the readme with a link, just for the curious, sound good? :P

Love ya Funky but frig sake I remember that and... Yeaaaaaaa :mrgreen:
Yes but you would need to explain why it is not in the map pack.

User avatar
papercoffee
Godlike
Posts: 10148
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!
Location: Cologne, the city with the big cathedral.

Re: The most RiDiCuLoUs Mapping Contest!

Post by papercoffee » Mon May 30, 2022 1:30 am

my 2 cents ...include it but in a subfolder and the subfolder name has a warning. :mrgreen:

User avatar
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:26 am
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko
Location: Kaunas, Lithuania

Re: The most RiDiCuLoUs Mapping Contest!

Post by UnrealGGecko » Mon May 30, 2022 4:01 pm

papercoffee wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 1:30 am
my 2 cents ...include it but in a subfolder and the subfolder name has a warning. :mrgreen:
How long can I make a subfolder name? :ironic: