Reduce polys on a T3d in UED 2

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Tater
Average

Reduce polys on a T3d in UED 2

Post by Tater »

I was wondering if anyone has any idea of how to reduce the poly count of a T3d brush. I came across a HUGE map where the author has removed all brushes and saved without rebuilding. Since this was done you can't do anything to it that would require a full rebuild. I converted the map into 1 T3d brush so that it can be edited and rebuilt but the problem is that because the map was so big it has an enormous amount of polygons. I've been looking for something to convert the brush into a mesh so that I could use something like meshmaker and reduce the count. Anyone know of a way?
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Re: Reduce polys on a T3d in UED 2

Post by Hellkeeper »

If you have UT2003 or UT2004 available, import the brush into their editor. From there you can export it as a .obj which should be easy to open in most modeling softwares, such as blender.
If you have Unreal with patch 227, you can import it, convert it to mesh, then export is as a .obj.
Quite a roundabout way to go about it, I know.
You must construct additional pylons.
Tater
Average

Post by Tater »

I do have Unreal 2003. I'll have to install that from Steam. I didn't think that the T3D's were compatible between Unreals but I can try.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Tater wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:24 pm I do have Unreal 2003. I'll have to install that from Steam. I didn't think that the T3D's were compatible between Unreals but I can try.
T3Ds are just text files, you can use UnrealToObj to export T3Ds to OBJ, then lower the polys with whatever software (like Blender) and export it back to T3D using ASE2T3D (which requires your obj to be exported as a ASE).
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
Tater
Average

Post by Tater »

Unfortunately the Unreal2obj crashes at 36000 faces. This T3D file alone is 22mb so it might be too big.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Tater wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:55 am Unfortunately the Unreal2obj crashes at 36000 faces. This T3D file alone is 22mb so it might be too big.
You can use these: http://www.clintons3d.com/plugins/wip/index.html
before to export a t3d from UEd you should select everything and use Transform Permanently (also Reset Pivot helps sometimes), otherwise the brushes will be messed up.
Every subtractive brush will be count as an additive one when importing I think, you probably want to get rid of portal sheets before exporting.

EDIT: Apparently the t3d exporter from that link just prints "Hello World" in a file.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"