CTF-Starscream

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Koolflux
Experienced

CTF-Starscream

Post by Koolflux »

Alright, it's official. After spending three weeks working on it, I am proud to say it is finished. Here it is: CTF Starscream!

MAP DESCRIPTION:
"The FFS Starscream is one of the fastest ships in the galaxy, being able to soar through space at 3
lightyears per hour. It is bold and treacherous, much like the Decepticon it is named after."

As always, any feedback is appreciated.
Attachments
CTF-Starscream.zip
(4.7 MiB) Downloaded 31 times
"I am the Alpha and the Omega." ~Xan Kriegor
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: CTF-Starscream

Post by sektor2111 »

#1 - I WON'T replace Lights.utx file having 10711 bytes with the one provided in archive dated 2011.

#2 - I think it's not ready, lol.
MapGarbage wrote: CTFReport: --- Reporting AlternatePaths setup: ---
CTFReport: For Team 0 = 0 pieces.
CTFReport: For Team 1 = 0 pieces.
DefenseChecks: Map has 0 DefensePoint Actors for team 0. Check if this is wrong.
DefenseChecks: Map has 0 DefensePoint Actors for team 1. Check if this is wrong.
No AlternatePaths and no Defenses ?

Note: In my private CTFGame No One will have Insta unless mutator used is stock InstaGib - Everyone or No one.

Because this map do looks... very well, before using it I'll write some patching, but not exactly next days because I won't be around. Because...
Overcrowded1.PNG
It's not like I'm in love with these paths.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

1. Is it intended that Trigger13 as well as Trigger19 triggers *both* buttons (Mover1 and Mover3)?
  2. You have set bStatic=True for ut_biorifle1, UT_Eightball1, enforcer1, ut_biorifle0, UT_Eightball0, enforcer0. That does not work proper in online games. Also I suspect that weapon Mutators will fail on these. Was your intention to have the weapons stayed and/or not rotating?
  3. Paths can surely be improved - too many, too close and put away PathNodes from Inventory or NavigationPoint Actors.
Otherwise nice work so far. :tu:
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Barbie wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:54 am You have set bStatic=True for ut_biorifle1, UT_Eightball1, enforcer1, ut_biorifle0, UT_Eightball0, enforcer0. That does not work proper in online games. Also I suspect that weapon Mutators will fail on these. Was your intention to have the weapons stayed and/or not rotating?
Oops ? I've excepted this check - my bad...
Koolflux
Experienced

Post by Koolflux »

Barbie wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:54 am
  1. Is it intended that Trigger13 as well as Trigger19 triggers *both* buttons (Mover1 and Mover3)?
No, that wasn't intended. I wanted those triggers to only trigger the buttons they're intended to, so idk how that happened.
Barbie wrote:[*]You have set bStatic=True for ut_biorifle1, UT_Eightball1, enforcer1, ut_biorifle0, UT_Eightball0, enforcer0. That does not work proper in online games. Also I suspect that weapon Mutators will fail on these. Was your intention to have the weapons stayed and/or not rotating?
Yes, my intention was to have them not rotate. But I do see how that can cause problems with online games and mutators and such.
Barbie wrote:[*]Paths can surely be improved - too many, too close and put away PathNodes from Inventory or NavigationPoint Actors.
Admittedly, I suck at pathing, as hard as I try. CTFM-Triton didn't have the best paths either, but in that case it was because I didn't even try. I just went to Build Options and clicked "Create New Path Network"; essentially letting UnrealEd do the work for me. Whereas here, I actually tried to do bot pathing myself.

Additionally, I forgot about AlternatePaths for the bots and DefensePoints near the flags. And apparently, a Super Shock Rifle in a CTF map is not a good idea either.
sektor2111 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:17 am #1 - I WON'T replace Lights.utx file having 10711 bytes with the one provided in archive dated 2011.
Didn't know there were different versions of Lights.utx. Maybe I used the wrong version, idk.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback/criticisms. Constructive criticism helps me get better at mapping.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Koolflux wrote: Yes, my intention was to have them not rotate.
Just set bRotatingPickup=false then (Section Inventory).
Koolflux wrote: a Super Shock Rifle in a CTF map is not a good idea either.
Maybe replace them with an extra strong ShieltBelt (set ShieltBelt0.Inventory.Charge for this) or a HealthPack for example?
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Koolflux
Experienced

Post by Koolflux »

Barbie wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:38 pm ]Maybe replace them with an extra strong ShieltBelt (set ShieltBelt0.Inventory.Charge for this) or a HealthPack for example?
That's actually a great idea! Maybe I'll do that.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Barbie wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:38 pmJust set bRotatingPickup=false then (Section Inventory).
Maybe in client these have to be properly replicated if I well recall a weapon won't rotate if:
- bRotatingPickup = False
- RotationRate.Yaw = 0
- bFixedRotationDir = False
- probably doesn't hurt bMovable = False else above properties are enough...
bStatic set is BAD idea - forget it - weapon was never intended for that - this is not a decoration.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

In response to map tests, base access is only through a tunnel, I don't think that's the best idea. If AlternatePath type navigation points are used, we can see Bots taking different weapons and playing in different ways. There is no problem with rotating weapons if they are set correctly - for sitting fixed in place. As an exercise of myself, the map does not need 189 PathNodes because it works perfectly with only 52 PathNodes excepting items too close each other from being loaded into the navigation network. From 2.21 MB the map file was reduced to 2.07. SuperShockRifle aka Insta is not for this environment.

[off-topic]
The most fun time is when the bases change in the middle of the game, red becomes blue and blue becomes red...
Related to this may be that changing the bases can happen not only once, but many times when whatever other map looks very unbalanced. And then I still have to work on that mutator ...
[/off-topic]