BR - Mansion (for the mapcontestst)

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
XaNKoNII
Skilled
Personal rank: Phenix

BR - Mansion (for the mapcontestst)

Post by XaNKoNII »

Yes you read that right, BATTLE ROYALE map for UT99 :facepalm: , well you can always play Last Man Standing :mrgreen:

Want to try it? well its still not official but i want to make a playable Whitebox version to be tested online on 8th of November ill uptdate everyone on that :tu:
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: BR - Mansion (for the mapcontestst)

Post by papercoffee »

Tooooo much open places ...add some hills and stuff.
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

I don't really think the white works well with the light. You could just pick a ground texture and put that on every ground and a wall texture to put on every wall etc. The level will better readable for a player and it's easy for you to quickly select all faces matching that texture and swap it for another if you want. Some color could also indicate the mood/setting you are going for.
And like paper said it's too open (hit scan dominant) and looks like a lot of walking. It's hard to judge the scale by the bland whiteness or anything to compare it to for size.
Nobody wants to be caught out in an open space like that. So what you could do is add a risk-reward situation by placing a pickup/power-up in an exposed place (and add extra danger for a really good powerup).
I can't really see all the angles well, but the staircases seem to be very long with a lot of steps.

It seems some of the bigger brushes are not aligned with a bigger grid (its better for the engine to align those to a higher grid number like 512 or something. For normal brushes I don't go below 16 usually.)
The prefix BR- is also used for Bombing Run for UT
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

Personally I love big unreal nature maps for BattleRoyale like for example Nyleve and lots of open map Napali stuff.
Big nature maps with houses bridges water.
Just ''default'' textures.

This box looks promising for sure i like the idea!
Bit difficult to judge the scale indeed, but personally i hope you fill it up with lots of hills and nature stuff ;)
Imagine some nalis working on some stuff like that mediterranean well you posted xD

Best map for BattleRoyale for me i came across:
https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... fd710.html

*edit, that doesn't say City type maps won't work for this gametype, they work perfectly!
Just prefer the nature maps xD (Played alot of Erangel/Sanhok on PUBG)