[WIP] CTF-20AC-Valhalla

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Porch Viking
Average

[WIP] CTF-20AC-Valhalla

Post by Porch Viking »

EDIT: The final version of the map can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13573&p=116619#p116619

Here is CTF-20AC-Valhalla, a CTF map based around, well, Valhalla, with some additional inspiration from Sovngarde from Skyrim. This map is intended for the 20th Anniversary Contest. There's still some work to be done, but I finally have it in a presentable shape. Give it a try and let me know any suggestions to improve it!
Val-WideShot.jpg
Additional screenshots:
Click here
Val-Entrance.jpg
Val-Inside.jpg
Val-BaseExterior.jpg
To-Do:
  • A bunch of terrain work around the outside
  • Improve bot pathing
  • Add missing details
  • Make a proper texture for spilled booze
Suspected issues:
  • I'm positive the item and weapon layout can be improved.
  • I probably made the map way too big to begin with, but it's too late to fix that now.
  • The area behind the bases' sniper ledges feels awkward. Should there be a proper room at the top of the steps? A link between the top of the steps and the high ledge in the flag room? Replace the steps with an elevator and delete that hallway?
  • Players can get on the roof, but I'm unsure if this is actually much of a problem.
Attachments
CTF-20AC-Valhalla BETA 11-28.zip
(2.69 MiB) Downloaded 36 times
Last edited by Porch Viking on Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Re: [WIP] CTF-20AC-Valhalla

Post by Loose Cannon »

Just played it a little and I really like the layout. A lot of different passage ways. The wooden bridges with the chain supports are beautiful! Booze spilled from the barrels?? That's alcohol abuse!! :-) Some of the spilled booze has a BSP issue, but I know you're still tinkering with the map. Nice job!
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I might want to remember THAT SPACE character used in UT's files names is not really a great thing.
Some AlternatePath ?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Downloading, will try and play it before the weekend is over.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I like the design and the layout, nice variety of different sized spaces, quite a bit of z-axis action - the bridges are really cool - good atmosphere as well.
probably made the map way too big to begin with, but it's too late to fix that now.
The size is fine - it's nice to see some larger maps.
The area behind the bases' sniper ledges feels awkward. Should there be a proper room at the top of the steps? A link between the top of the steps and the high ledge in the flag room? Replace the steps with an elevator and delete that hallway?
Feels OK to me - I don't think there is a problem there.
Players can get on the roof, but I'm unsure if this is actually much of a problem.
That's OK as well - adds a bit of interest.

A couple of things - I think the lift returns a bit too quickly after reaching the top and the lighting in central hall/building is too bright (the lighting there is fairly uniform and it possibly needs some variation).
Porch Viking
Average

Post by Porch Viking »

I've done some more work on the map. Fixed up a few things, added some alt paths and translocator spots, then spent forever trying to stop them from only using the translocator.

Try it out and let me know what you think!
Attachments
CTF-20AC-Valhalla-BETA-12-3.zip
(2.99 MiB) Downloaded 24 times
Porch Viking
Average

Post by Porch Viking »

I wound up not having too much time to work on this, so I just did a few minor tweaks. More polishing could always be done, but I'm satisfied with how it's turned out. Here's my final version for the contest.
Attachments
CTF-20AC-Valhalla.zip
(2.99 MiB) Downloaded 59 times
Koolflux
Experienced

Post by Koolflux »

Just played on it for a little bit, and it's a great map. I like the architecture; it's very well-done. It plays well with bots too. My favorite part is the rainbow bridge to each team base. It kinda reminds me of Bifröst, the rainbow bridge between Asgard and Midgard in Norse mythology. Maybe that was the inspiration?
"I am the Alpha and the Omega." ~Xan Kriegor
Porch Viking
Average

Post by Porch Viking »

Koolflux wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:01 pm Just played on it for a little bit, and it's a great map. I like the architecture; it's very well-done. It plays well with bots too. My favorite part is the rainbow bridge to each team base. It kinda reminds me of Bifröst, the rainbow bridge between Asgard and Midgard in Norse mythology. Maybe that was the inspiration?
Thank you! That is indeed the inspiration. I've also heard of a flying longboat among the myths, which I worked into the alternate pathways.
cromy
Novice

Post by cromy »

Nice map! very enjoyable and well done with the architecture! :)
Let's rock!
:rocket2:
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

Like this map alot!
Nice vikings theme, and ofcourse the rainbow!
Can't wait to get some decent online CTF action on this one.
True contest winner in my opinion!

Locked and loaded on the FragNight server!
Porch Viking
Average

Post by Porch Viking »

cromy wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:19 pm Nice map! very enjoyable and well done with the architecture! :)
Thank you!
esnesi wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:45 pm Like this map alot!
Nice vikings theme, and ofcourse the rainbow!
Can't wait to get some decent online CTF action on this one.
True contest winner in my opinion!

Locked and loaded on the FragNight server!
Awesome! I'd love to join (and probably suck at my own map :lol2: ), but I'm going to a party this Friday night.