FNB All Good Things BETA Feedback

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Koolflux
Experienced

Re: FNB All Good Things BETA Feedback

Post by Koolflux »

Seeing a big, good-looking map like this makes me feel like a newbie when it comes to mapping. I'm simply envious (in a good way) of your mapping skills.
"I am the Alpha and the Omega." ~Xan Kriegor
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:34 pm 2) Reading others' comments I learned about the trap door and the falling, though where it winds up seems a bit weird... being in an underwater base and you plummet downward yet somehow wind up in what looks like close to the surface. Not a big deal, but this just seemed especially wrong...
I think it is actually very cleverly done as it brings another Bioshock location into the map - falling into the pit and being transported there is similar to what happens in some of the more sophisticated maps set in the 'sky' when you fall off a platform and are teleported to another location rather than simply killed. So no, it's an inventive and entertaining way of dealing with falls into the 'pit' which adds to the experience of playing the map.

I must admit I knew nothing about Bioshock before playing this map but I did go and have a look at some 'stuff' to find out where that 'other' location is (and possibly the fall into the pit echoes, in reverse perhaps, what happens in that game?).
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

In Bioshock you swim up to what FNB did outside steps (that I recognized right away), is the beginning of the game and you more or less play inside after that but underwater all the way through, everything is underwater and it's only for looks, you can never go out into the scenery. There might be some areas you can, but it was not like playing outside at all. :(
Binary Space Partitioning
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Red_Fist wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:45 pmThere might be some areas you can, but it was not like playing outside at all.
Have you tried shooting the fish outside?

I've noticed on some other maps that sometimes you can't get outside but you can still shoot at what's outside and it registers as a hit. Could be fun to shoot the GIANT squid out there just to see if it attacks the structure the game takes place in.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

Glad you're enjoying this :)

@grins yes you can shoot fish! you have to go out through one of the airlocks and pick up a scuba tank. There's a few sliths out there as well. You can turn the whole place against you pretty fast - and the bigger critters take more shots to kill. If you just hang/float around, the biter fish schools will pester you. If you do a flag run and head out there the enemy team will come after you.

@red_fist, ya, you can go outside in bioshock2 - some missions you travel on foot between some buildings, you are afterall a big daddy in bs2. You just walk along picking the odd thing up.

@Ojitro - if you get the chance you should play these bioshock games. To me they are kinda staples - you can play pretty as you like (rpg, sim, stealth, shooter, "magic" in the form of gene-spliced "powers") the stories in these games are really well done, draw you right in.

Originally I wanted to do a small SP thing, the LH was the obvious starting point of that. The little map lived okay as a small file in the campaign.
Adding it into a single larger map has been extremely problematic (CSG/BSP wise).
When you look at that little LH in the Editor it doesn't look like much, but ue1 just hates those brushes.

My original idea was you spawn in the water (like in the real game), enter the LH and go down to the bathescape (would be a mover of some sort)
Get inside that and journey down to the city of rapture, as you do in BS. Enter a welcome area, get attacked by some waves of monsters until you
can reach some spot to go a different area. Well, that was started anyways but would've been a tonne of work to get done for a contest. I did
try to do that once before for a contest at Unreal SP and that was also undoable. Anyhoo - I made a CTF map instead. Once that's done might
make a DM/DOM out of it.

Cheers
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

A MH all you need is a start and end, I do know it would take some configuration of the map to do so. But the "map" makes it worth the time. I would start it the way you have now, but block the drop to get into the water, then the steps would be the end. So fighting in the water would be the last section-stage. OR, the reverse of that.

Use monster kill amount to complete counters to open the exit (see my electrolyte map for bots to wait, if you wanted to do that)

In any case it's, very good mappage.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

Okay thanks for the feedback! I have to just fix the LH door mover and finish with the sound work. Then it's final. Hope to get that done in the next week or so... After that I won't have much time (if any) to do ut mapping until probably March/April. We'll see how it goes!

I did want to see how it plays as a DOM (with modification of course). If it works well that way, it could pass for a FFA DM, so could have a DM/DOM as well. Folks might like it better that way.
We'll have to see -But- might not have time for that.

@red_fist - I'm not sure it would work as a MH... If you wanted to hack around with it that way, you can go ahead. Although, if you wanted to make an MH iwould suggest wait until the final, then do your MOD.

When I post the final it will be two zipfiles, as with the BETA. I will revisit my correspondence with Creavion regarding using his stuff. I'm not sure I can redist the facepalm files in my package - I may have to just list his stuff as required.

Anyways, thanks again to those that tried it out and left comments. :rock:
Cheers
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

FraGnBraG wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:53 pmI will revisit my correspondence with Creavion regarding using his stuff. I'm not sure I can redist the facepalm files in my package - I may have to just list his stuff as required.
He made his package openly usable when he released his map ... I wouldn't worry about it.
LightningHunter
Novice

Post by LightningHunter »

Good looking stuff as always, Frag! I always enjoy your maps.

By the way, I noticed your CTF-DMU-ClusterFkk map in your signature. Good stuff! Just so you know, I was the one who made the DMU conversion. Hellscrag made the first UT Classic Pack, while I made the rest (DMU-ClusterF_ck was in UTClassicPack][). Anyway, I enjoyed playing it. :D
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Absolutely marvelous map, with some kickass gameplay as well. Think I found an invisible wall or something around one of the red bases staircases (forgot which one, think it was a curved one with some plants right next to it).

Looking forward to the final release :gj:
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

i have to get the missing packages but would love to test this. Just like old times. :rock:
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

TexasGtar

Hey weren't you an UP forum poster ? or was it BeyondUnreal.

The packages are in the larger zip
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

Red_Fist wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:39 pm TexasGtar

Hey weren't you an UP forum poster ? or was it BeyondUnreal.

The packages are in the larger zip
Yes. UP. For years and years. Good times. okay I'll see if I can find them. Didn't see it first read through. Thanks.
edit: Looks like FNB removed the link. I'll see if I can dig up the Creavions maps.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

Hey Hi Texas :rock: Long time no see! Nice to see you here :tu:
Wow! there's lots of folks here at ut99 from all over, even from UP and NaliCity.
I'm sure you'll recognize some names. They also do contests here! Usually one a year.
I have a large collection of map, as most peeps here do, and in my collection I have a
smallish folder of "number one keepers" - like the top 25 (of thousands)
You have two maps in there man: "upbg-clue" and "woot-n-roll"
high scores for creativity!! I'm also a musician so I relate well to the musical theme!
Hope to see you posting!
Cheers
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

FraGnBraG wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:06 am Hey Hi Texas :rock: Long time no see! Nice to see you here :tu:
Wow! there's lots of folks here at ut99 from all over, even from UP and NaliCity.
I'm sure you'll recognize some names. They also do contests here! Usually one a year.
I have a large collection of map, as most peeps here do, and in my collection I have a
smallish folder of "number one keepers" - like the top 25 (of thousands)
You have two maps in there man: "upbg-clue" and "woot-n-roll"
high scores for creativity!! I'm also a musician so I relate well to the musical theme!
Hope to see you posting!
Cheers
Hi! So happy to reconnect with you. You are too kind about my maps but those were my favorite too. I went to your music page and had a listen. You like all kinds of music. That's good. Need to listen to more. but I liked what i heard for the most part. One was a little too techno for me but the other stuff was impressive and original, good ideas going in some of the tunes I listened to. Might have to get the band back together. lol
So I'm working like a dog still, building boats instead of houses now. It's different but still wood work. Lots of the guys there play music, sing, rap, drummer, 2 guitarists and a keyboard player so I have been pulling the guitar out and thinking about doing some recording.

Anyway, back to this map. I'll try to get around to testing it this weekend. Still need to get the u files and utx. But I have the rest of it. Really glad you are still mapping. I'll give it a good run and let you know what I think and upload ss's of trouble areas as usual. Been a while since I tested a map. I might be a little rusty. Ha. It's like finding out there is a Hendrix song you never heard before or a new star wars movie you never knew existed. Looks like you have several new maps since last we texted. I can't wait. New FNB maps for me. The screenshot in the first post looked fabulous. Really nice lighting and the great sky boxes and cool modern architecture. Looks fairly wide open too which I like.

Yes, I saw some familiar names here. There were a lot of fine people back in the day. It's good there is still a gathering hole. Hope you are doing well and things are going good for you and yours. You are my favorite mapper by far and it isn't even close. Lord Simeon was my second favorite. He did some fun maps. Your maps made me feel like I was in that environment, not just playing a "map". Great achievements you have created. Super impressive work. If there was a mapper hall of fame you would already be in there. Thank you for all the cool maps brother! I have enjoyed them to no end. Your efforts are appreciated and have given me much joy playing them over the years. I'll try to have some map feedback Saturday night for you.