FNB All Good Things BETA Feedback

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
TexasGtar
Adept

Re: FNB All Good Things BETA Feedback

Post by TexasGtar »

Wanted to see if I could upload images here before I got down to serious testing. I saw a bot having some minor issue with an elevator..lol Some things never change. Haha.
Images are testing things. Will do more testing this weekend like I said. Just wanted to see if I could upload an image first.
Attachments
fnbtest2.jpg
fnbtest1.jpg
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

Some more minor suggestions. Some of my comments may just be my stupidity and ignorance to the reason why.
Attachments
fnbtest11.jpg
fnbtest11.jpg (33.79 KiB) Viewed 995 times
fnbtest10.jpg
fnbtest9.jpg
fnbtest8.jpg
fnbtest7.jpg
fnbtest6.jpg
fnbtest6.jpg (28.68 KiB) Viewed 995 times
fnbtest5.jpg
fnbtest4.jpg
fnbtest3.jpg
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Hey Texas... this forum has a big rule about making double posts, and even though I see why you did might I suggest doing as I do?

Host your images on another site then link them to your posts for display. That way you can do as many images per review as you like and no one will give you a hard time about it.
Nice review, by the way.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

TexasGtar wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:57 am Some more minor suggestions. Some of my comments may just be my stupidity and ignorance to the reason why.
Pic1.jpg
Pic1.jpg (146.24 KiB) Viewed 976 times
Yes, I found that dead end rather confusing and wondered why there wasn't some kind of pickup there.

Initially I also found the opening and non-opening doors confusing and wondered if they should be differentiated in some way but I think that once you've played the map a few times (and just explored it out of game as it were) you tend to remember the doors that are the ones to use. Having said that, some form of differentiation might stil be useful.

EvilGrins wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:12 am Host your images on another site then link them to your posts for display.
There is a problem with that - third-party image hosting sites may disappear or become otherwise unuseable - this is evident from a perusal of early posts on this forum where a fair proportion of images are no longer viewable thus reducing or removing altogether the value of the posts.
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

Thanks evilgrins for the heads up on the double posting. I won't do that again. I guess I need to go read the rules. That's on me. And hi, I remember you. Good to see you still around.

============================
I can remove the images once FNB is done with them so they aren't taking up the sites bandwidth. I did shrink and compress them but I'll be happy to conform to whatever the house wants as far as posting images.

And I agree you you OjitroC about them disappearing on 3rd party sites, but I can understand why a forum doesn't want to host them either. These are only going to be useful to the mapper and once he finishes the map I can remove them and hoping that will be okay. And about the layout learning curve, once i realized it was 'Z' shaped I started to get the hang of it.

======================================================================
MORE FEEDBACK:
The gameplay and pickups were good for me. I enjoyed running through it a few times. You have some great lines of sight and made a good, solid CTF map. I wish the central area was more of a fight but I love wooting by more. lol
I never did find the damage amplifier but saw several bots who knew where it was. The pathing is class A. Saw bots taking several different routes, grabbing all the stuff. They are very reluctant to go out the door into the water. lol
They'll take the elevator, head down the stairs, down the hallway and walk right up to the door and then stop......turn around and go back. lol Bots are excellent at chasing down flag carriers. Good at maneuvering around the whole map.
I like you have put transporter pathing at perfect places too. Well done on the pathing of the map. Never saw a bot go for the redeemer though. Bots don't like to get wet. :nonono: BUT they WILL chase down a flag carrier in the water without hesitation.

I was wondering why some of the glass is so clear and you can look out at the underwater world, like in the banners hanging room, and then for some reason you have other glass with such a splotchy dark texture you can't see anything out of the windows except the light boxes. Your "skyboxy" areas and playable outside areas are so nice, I wish you would make the glass clear where ever you can where there is a view. Not sure why you did use the dark texture unless you were trying to make it look like algae was growing on it or something, but I think the map as a whole would look more open, larger, and give a better perspective on the atmosphere of the setting with the clear glass look.

The wall posters to me look odd because they are not framed. But i like that there is something on the wall. The expecting mom cigarette was my favorite. So bad. :lol2:

Overall, really fun map to play and plenty of eye candy. You still got it. Here are a few more images.
Attachments
fnbtest16.jpg
fnbtest15.jpg
fnbtest14.jpg
fnbtest13.jpg
fnbtest12.jpg
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

sites bandwidth is no problem. ;)

That problem could be solved by the sprite trick.
Then would there be no need for a bsp sheet.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

wow, that's a crap load of feeback! I'll respond to this over the next few days time allowing (unfortunately have no time right now :/ thanks guys

ps - what card and renderers are you using?
the texture transparencies and render + coronas look fine on my system (i7-4790K 4ghz 32G ram, GTX970 Win10 Pro, OpenGL driver for UT (latest)
No edges show and all texture effects appear normal to me...

Thanks again
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Here from me you need to fix BSP holes and a few alignments instead of wasting time for "rendering" stuff and maybe some pathing stunts for water demonstrating that Bot has no problems to get wet - LOL :omfg: . You cannot do a map perfect for everyone - that's a myth.
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

FraGnBraG wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:32 am
ps - what card and renderers are you using?
the texture transparencies and render + coronas look fine on my system (i7-4790K 4ghz 32G ram, GTX970 Win10 Pro, OpenGL driver for UT (latest)
No edges show and all texture effects appear normal to me...
Thanks again
If it looks good on your machine then just ignore those things.
My computer is not geared for anything. Nothing fancy. i5-7400 3.00ghz 8 GB ram Windows 10 home
Open gl with latest drivers. Intel HD graphics 630.
I have a Nvidia card in one of my dead machines. That might be worth a shot to see if it fixes some of my visuals. But I'm not messing with it right now.
That why I like uploading images. What I see may not be what you see.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

for the curious... There's two things about the inspiration photos in the hidden room: that is the atrium of a building I actually work in in RL(tm). Every morning I would walk into that place, look up at that skylight, and I'd think "man, this place looks like it came from a video game like bioshock or something". Tom_caT (bless him) had taken a stab at making a bioshock themed DOM map for the 2009 OMC contest, which he never finished. I did help him with some of the brushes but the ideas were all his. I think it felt a bit like bioshock, but not quite enough. Well when the 20AC contest was announced i thought I might revisit what he was trying to do, and then got my own ideas for an SP campaign, etc. After playing the actual bioshock series, I built the Light house, and then started playing with a few layouts which were mundane at best. Actually, many levels in the series _are_ mundane, just don't seem that way due to lighting, details and various gameplay elements. So when looking elsewhere for inspiration, didn't have to go any further than the atrium from my workplace :) Obviously made dimensional/scale changes to allow for UT99 movement, and added extra structure and details but essentially feels familiar.

Anyways, there's a little story - Cheers
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

Interesting map. Classic FNB map, while at least being a bit less confusing that normal, at least after your fifth time. :D
Couple of things, though (I used Beta...1?)
1) There is an ICH around pathnode256, preventing you to get the medpacks. There is no brush present in UED so I assume it's either a render error or a faulty blockvolume radius.
2) Brush2412 has a BSP-hole in the side.
3) Brush2318...? What? Also, the area is suddenly under water when running through that section.
4) When I first started the match, I was setup near the blue Shock Rifle spawn in blue base, as a team red player. Interesting. Didn't find out which playerstart caused the issue, though...
5) Upper ceiling areas around the flags have missing glas windows.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Swanky wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:41 am4) When I first started the match, I was setup near the blue Shock Rifle spawn in blue base, as a team red player. Interesting. Didn't find out which playerstart caused the issue, though...
Did you use any team colour on your player model?
I noticed this sometimes when I used the green team colour that I started at the opposing team.
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

Yeah that might've been the issue. Been running around using green. My bad.
Isotoxin
Adept
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by Isotoxin »

I tried to run this the other day, but some dependencies were missing? Can you provide a zip with all files included?
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Isotoxin wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:30 am I tried to run this the other day, but some dependencies were missing? Can you provide a zip with all files included?
The missing dependencies are from 2 must-have/must-play maps (these can be found at UnrealArchive and elsewhere) - CTF-FacePalm ctf-facepalm_39cbbc10.htm and MH-Antalius mh-antalius_4fa14057.html
Last edited by OjitroC on Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.