A question for the mappers...

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

A question for the mappers...

Post by EvilGrins »

...if you've made at least 2 maps, you can answer these:
1) What's the best map you ever made?

2) What's the worst map you ever made?

3) Have you ever been tempted to go back and fix the worst map you made? If not, why not?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
TexasGtar
Adept

Re: A question for the mappers...

Post by TexasGtar »

1.Still working on that one.
2.There is so many, it's too hard to pick just one.
3.Tempted? Never. Never tempted.
Koolflux
Experienced

Post by Koolflux »

1. Probably FD-Twilightwood.
2. I'm not really sure what map I made that I would consider the worst.
3. Tempted? Yes, to go back and fix up CTFM-Triton. I don't like that big empty central room in between the three teams. Plus, there's the issue with doors not always opening.
"I am the Alpha and the Omega." ~Xan Kriegor
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

EvilGrins wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:10 pm ...if you've made at least 2 maps, you can answer these:
BR-Riveting is my favourite and my most polished map overall. UT2004 map though.
EvilGrins wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:10 pm 2) What's the worst map you ever made?
DM-Cooling.
EvilGrins wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:10 pm 3) Have you ever been tempted to go back and fix the worst map you made? If not, why not?
Yes and I did so on a few maps; others I left to their fate. Those I didn't bother with were those I was not very fond of.

Still, almost all my maps have at least one issue I only discovered months or years after I stopped working on them. One has a BSP hole, one has a lighting issue, one has imperfect zoning, etc. After a certain amount of time has passed, I consider it counter-productive to go back fixing maps which are "past" and I let them.
You must construct additional pylons.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

I don't think I'll be able to answer that as I didn't make enough actual maps yet.

Most of them do give me the point I'm missing and I still miss them. I even had testers and they didn't mention all of that missing points. But of course I still didn't get the point on a few things so I just skipped them too.

So I just slowly make it little by little.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

1) Gameplay wise, DM-Maris. From a technical point of view, probably DM-TMC-Narean. Outdoor maps are just so finicky.
2) One of my first attempts at mapping. Neither do I know its name anymore, nor do I still have it. It's some 16 or 17 years back.
3) I think that one would be "beyond saving". I did find a nitpick in DM-Vrais the other day, though, and I am considering fixing it.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

1) CTF-Blice: by far where I put most work in a map, and despite some of its performance issues (even the lite version), it's still what I somewhat had in my head to build.

2) Pick any of the first 2 here:
viewtopic.php?t=12769
or the 3rd if you meant a full original map. :lol2:

3) No! :omfg:
I cannot fix first-rate certified garbage: it's just... garbage (and a humble reminder of where I started).
Whitey
Average
Personal rank: Bunny Tracker

Post by Whitey »

CTF-BT-TheTemple

2) What's the worst map you ever made?
DM-Stalwhite
3) Have you ever been tempted to go back and fix the worst map you made? If not, why not?
Nope, it was perhaps 3rd map i ever made and was just garbage. was meant to be a stalwart rendition and would be worth starting from scratch.
Favourite-Weapons: Sniper & Shock Rifle
Favourite-Drink: coffee
Favourite-Games: UT-GOTY & VietCong
Favourite-Map: DM-Deck16][
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I still want to fix my first map, DM-3pole, now that I know a fearspot needs to be enabled, stupid bots jumping off high pillars.

Plus try to fix the gravity tubes so they work better, and the way I made the BSP.
Binary Space Partitioning
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

hmm... :what:
As I recall, started in 1999 - first maps were one simple blocky quake 2 map and two half-life map layouts, built with worldcraft.
Followed these with four unreal maps:
1. ancient temple full of mostly homs and also some sliths
2. a blocky crypt full of skaarjs and paupes
3. strange terrain map made out of rotated primitives and featured stone titans and little nali houses with really small doorways and windows, lol.
4. giant space station full of monsters. Interestingly, the basic layout concept lived on to become the base layout of BigAndUgly, a couple of years later.
Then in early 2000 I got ut99 and also broadband cable and was just a FFA player for about two years, making only a few maps in that time.
"The Whacky world of Pain" in mid 2000 was my first big project. I was actually "MouthFullOfLips" back then, mostly played InstaGib and snipers online.
"FragNbrag" appeared sometime during 2001. After having played many hundreds of maps online (yes, back in the days when there were thousands of
active populated ut99 servers) it occurred to me I could probably make better more interesting maps than most of the simplistic crap were all playing.
so that's when I jumped in. I went from "Whacky" to "Ring of Stones" (late 2002) in about 10 or so maps. RoS was the first Fragnbrag "public" map release
although there may be some earlier maps (alphas and betas) around.

The bunch of maps from this period will never see the light of day, lol, especially when I have so many unfinished projects from more recent times.

Worst map? best map? can't really say (i hate them all, lol) Something can be a masterpiece of art and vision, yet be a pathetically bad multiplayer map that doesn't
even run on a server. (AngelHeart, paranoid, myself, etc.). Something can be simplistic and ugly yet is a blast to play online with people. Depending how you choose to think about it, the most challenging maps to make (imo) were the 300k maps. Ya, 90% crap, 10% gold. Most of the time I try to stick to rendering rules like 400 polys per scene, pretty hard to do, actually. Regardless of hardware, the ue1 is still extremely limited. Anyhoo

@Red_fist I had no idea 3pole was you, lol!

@swanky Did you ever consider porting your excellent Killing Floor projects (backwards) to ut99?
These would be great: Corruption, constriction (in that order) :)

Cheers
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Swanky
Adept

Post by Swanky »

@Fragnbrag Nope, actually I didn't because of how different the two games work. Corruption (for the uninitiated) might work with some reworks and a good amount of time. Given that parts were actually based off of DM-Vrais (which I just updated) and detail parts taken off of CTF-FoT-Selket I'm not sure I should make that call. Might look into it some day. Got another idea in my head that might prove more worth (think of Tomb Raider 2013's mountain temple).
Constriction I think would not work well as a UT map. The movement is far too fast, the layout cramped and mostly one dimensional and it was mostly used as a learning experience. Old City might be interesting if I ever wanted to do another two story map. It has good connectivity and doesn't require a lot of retrofits, plus I could use hourences textures. Lighting might be problematic, however, given it's an outdoor city map in sunset and there's lots of curves.

€ However. I just got diagnosed a serious back injury so the above is mostly future talk.
€ Had a look over the maps again. Corruption is way bigger and intricate than I remember. The way the layout is built does not lend itself to UT, not even with reworks. It's tight and cramped but beautifully anti camp. Constriction is exactly the way I remember. Small, cramped, a bit of all over the place. Real learner map. Basically no z-axis, tight layouts. It's a house, so... Old Town on the other hand might be a good UT map. Doesn't need a lot of reworks besides the river area. Missing cars for the long street might be an issue. Basically the easiest and best candidate for a retrofit. Still not sold on the idea. If you (or anyone else) wants to give it a go, though, go ahead. :)
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

@Swanky
They could still be interesting as MH maps.
Swanky
Adept

Post by Swanky »

The layouts are tight, cramped, intertwined. There's not a lot of room for monsters, and connectivitiy is more akin to classic UT maps. Like I said, I don't see it happen, but if you want to do it, go ahead.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

""AngelHeart, paranoid, myself, etc.)""

The mapping editor rules say NEVER name a package "MySelf" :P
Binary Space Partitioning