CTFM-Samira

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Koolflux
Experienced

CTFM-Samira

Post by Koolflux »

For a while, I'd been thinking about when to release this map, and now, I have finally decided to release it.

This is CTFM-Samira. It is a four-way Capture the Flag map with an ancient Egyptian theme. While I don't consider it perfect, I'd still say I made a pretty good map here, especially when I compare it to older maps I have made.
SamiraModDBShot.jpg
This is a four-team CTF map, so you must have MultiCTF on your UT for this map to work.

As always, I will appreciate any feedback.

ZIP file download:
CTFM-Samira.zip
(3.47 MiB) Downloaded 32 times
"I am the Alpha and the Omega." ~Xan Kriegor
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: CTFM-Samira

Post by EvilGrins »

How's the bot-pathing?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Koolflux wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:56 am ... While I don't consider it perfect, I'd still say I made a pretty good map here, especially when I compare it to older maps I have made.
I've not played it yet and only wandered around but it's very nicely done, with a real sense of place and surprising large :gj:
Koolflux
Experienced

Post by Koolflux »

EvilGrins wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:51 am How's the bot-pathing?
I would say I did a pretty decent job with bot-pathing, save for one small issue: bots on the Green Team sometimes walk back and forth in one of the three entrances to the green base (there's three entrances for each of the four team bases).

Other than that small issue, from playing botmatches on this map myself, the bots have been navigating around the map just fine.
OjitroC wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:59 am I've not played it yet and only wandered around but it's very nicely done, with a real sense of place and surprising large :gj:
Thanks. I'm pretty satisfied with it myself, too.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Played it, had loads of fun, lighting is really good outside, bots play pretty well and the gameplay itself is great.

My only tiny nitpicks might be these: the "lava" for me is weird that it's a violet liquid :P , the music I'd reccomend more the version from AS-Saqqara, that one starts off with actuall chants and fits egyptian themed maps perfectly, and MAYBE an adittion for a sniper nest on bases? Other than those nitpicks, this map is really really good. :mrgreen:
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Tonight I learned I have both the CTF4 gametype as well as the MultiTeam CTF gametype (not sure how that happened) but I tried both of them on this map; they're nearly identical with slight variations, and the latter version plays a bit better.

So good gameplay, bots use the whole space. They tend to favor the side tunnels over the central ones when entering a base from the outside. They mostly only use central tunnels while inside bases, still using the side ones as well but definitely more than they do when entering from outside.

Now as most have noticed anytime anyone submits a map my 1st goto spot is to ask "How's the bot-pathing?" and from what I can see here it's mostly handled very well with 1 slightly glaring exception...
...bots tend to get hung up on the sides of the staircases.

Predominantly the right side, they seem to head at any staircase from the right more than the left or center. When heading up to the flag-stand they briefly miss the stairs and go along the right side of it, but on the center staircase across from the flagstand they literally get to the right side and seem unable to get back to the center easily.

This happened more with standard CTF4 than it did with MultiTeam CTF.

Still, all in all, great map. I look hopefully forward to more CTF4 style maps, as that's one of my favorite gametypes.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

It looks to me like there is no direct path between one or two of the flagbases and the nearest pathnode (that is, the pathnode and the flagbase are not connected) and this may account for some of the bot behaviour mentioned by EG.

There is one set of steps without any pathnodes
map1.jpg
Koolflux
Experienced

Post by Koolflux »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:44 am Played it, had loads of fun, lighting is really good outside, bots play pretty well and the gameplay itself is great.
I'm glad you had fun. I had fun building it, even though I encountered a couple of General Protection Faults along the way.
the "lava" for me is weird that it's a violet liquid :P , the music I'd reccomend more the version from AS-Saqqara, that one starts off with actuall chants and fits egyptian themed maps perfectly, and MAYBE an adittion for a sniper nest on bases?
I'll admit, the blue colored lava is sort of unrealistic. I'm not really sure what made me decide to go with that. Lava in maps that feature it is usually a reddish orange color, so it could have been more a desire for something different than anything else.

I've never played on AS-Saqqara, though I have heard that map's version of the track.

And about the sniper nests in the team bases... I could do that. I'll just have to figure out a place to put them in, maybe make some small changes to the layout.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Koolflux wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:42 pmI'll admit, the blue colored lava is sort of unrealistic. I'm not really sure what made me decide to go with that
A lot of the tournament is on alien worlds... so why not blue lava?
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Koolflux wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:42 pm I'll admit, the blue colored lava is sort of unrealistic. I'm not really sure what made me decide to go with that. Lava in maps that feature it is usually a reddish orange color, so it could have been more a desire for something different than anything else.

Yes, nice to see something different for a change - I didn't really see it as lava per se but as some kind of toxic 'liquid' though, as EG says, it can be an alien world and so doesn't have to be the usual lava.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Have you had a look at the bot issues and at adding sniper nests?
Koolflux
Experienced

Post by Koolflux »

OjitroC wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:02 pm Have you had a look at the bot issues and at adding sniper nests?
I am thinking about adding sniper nests. I am aware of the issues with bots as well, so I'm considering fixing that, too.

One possible thing I think I could do with regard to sniper nests would be to add a couple of them into each flag room.