[SOLVED] Help with building DM-Megaplex / RA-Inoxx

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
TourianTourist
Novice

[SOLVED] Help with building DM-Megaplex / RA-Inoxx

Post by TourianTourist »

Hey,

I was trying to edit the following map in my UnrealEd, which came with UTv436:

https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... 82b06.html

This map was extracted out of RA-Inoxx, which has the same problem, really, so you can also try that one.

There are these copy-pasted tower structures, which are initially hidden in the editor and which seem to cause massive BSP holes all around them and all have these glitched support beams after building the map. I've tried all sorts of build options, but I can't get the map to build properly without having these holes... Sadly, my experience with UnrealEd is very limited, so I'm hitting a roadblock here. Can someone please check what might be causing these issues and what can be done to fix them? And how was the author of DM-Megaplex able to build it in the first place?
Last edited by TourianTourist on Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Help with building DM-Megaplex / RA-Inoxx

Post by sektor2111 »

I think he build map and then he moved brushes away. At least this is what I see...
TourianTourist
Novice

Post by TourianTourist »

sektor2111 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:38 pm I think he build map and then he moved brushes away. At least this is what I see...
Well, the brushes for the tower(s) are still there (just hidden) and in the exact spot as what has already been build. The problem might not even be caused by these towers, but it's where all the visual glitches occur.

I'm experiencing the same problem in RA-Inoxx, where for example I have deleted everything but the BlockParty arena... and I'm getting the same glitches around the big tower thing (I'm talking about the sky scraper with the six yellow steel beams, which occurs in multiple of the arenas on the top).
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

TourianTourist wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:54 pm ... and I'm getting the same glitches around the big tower thing (I'm talking about the sky scraper with the six yellow steel beams, which occurs in multiple of the arenas on the top).
I don't know but when playing Megaplex that area looks fine - one can walk around it, on it, over it - there don't seem to be any BSP holes. So presumably the issue is a result of what you are actually doing to the map? Perhaps you need to post something that shows what you are doing so somebody can identify the problem?
TourianTourist
Novice

Post by TourianTourist »

OjitroC wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:18 pm I don't know but when playing Megaplex that area looks fine - one can walk around it, on it, over it - there don't seem to be any BSP holes. So presumably the issue is a result of what you are actually doing to the map? Perhaps you need to post something that shows what you are doing so somebody can identify the problem?
Yes, the published version of DM-Megaplex is fine. No BSP holes or anything. Which is why I have been asking how the author managed to pull this off, because I can't replicate it any longer...

All I've been doing is open the map in UnrealEd, show the hidden actors and build it. That's all. No modifications to the map or whatever. But it creates a mess in the upper area for some reason. I've tried different build options, but I couldn't get a result without any errors.

Same with RA-Inoxx, which is where DM-Megaplex stemmed from. There seems to be something that Inoxx has done here, where the Unreal Editor has issues...
Last edited by TourianTourist on Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I sent map in PM, it needed some things done, it should be better to work on.
Binary Space Partitioning
TourianTourist
Novice

Post by TourianTourist »

Red_Fist wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:49 pm I sent map in PM, it needed some things done, it should be better to work on.
Hey, thanks! Yes, this works great. What exactly have you done to make it work, other than pruning the map? I've tried that, but it didn't help...

I'm asking because my goal is to re-create the other three Dreamcast maps, DM-BlockParty, DM-Singularity and DM-StationControl for the PC out of RA-Inoxx. DM-Megaplex was just an example of where someone already did it for this one arena, so your efforts will only help me partially. But if I understand what you've done, maybe I can do the same for the others.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I don't know what did RedFist but I made brushes/groups visible and they are not in location where buildings are visible...
If you try to select brush using a surface, Editor is crashing demonstrating that brush is gone. You can only duplicate what is already there for recreating that geometry - lol, another idea to protect map. I think map is half stripped by brushes.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I changed brush colors in case they made some black, but there wasn't any and hit showall actors. So the brush colors are probably not exact as default editor, but close.,,,rebuilt map

Made all semisolids solid
Ordered all the nonsolids "to last",,,rebuilt map

Got rid of all the stuff outside of map,,,rebuilt map

Then selected allbrush, use invert (ying yang icon) to select all "actors" inside, and ordered all those "to last",,,rebuilt map

"reset all" for red working brush.
Added in DM gametype
And typed "texture cull" in the command line area at the bottom of the editor, it culled out two UTtech2 textures
Renamed map and in the level info area.,,,rebuilt map saved map.
Last edited by Red_Fist on Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Did you check the version from this mappack out? Maybe this one is more stable (though the item placement might be wrong).
https://unrealarchive.org/mappacks/unre ... ca322.html
TourianTourist
Novice

Post by TourianTourist »

@Red_Fist:

Thank you very much! I'll look into this, you are helping me a lot here!
UnrealGGecko wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:07 am Did you check the version from this mappack out? Maybe this one is more stable (though the item placement might be wrong).
https://unrealarchive.org/mappacks/unre ... ca322.html
Oh, cool, I haven't seen this yet... Correcting item placement is not an issue (in fact I have been doing this for most of my current project), so these maps could probably do the trick as well, as long as I don't have to rebuild them. Or maybe they are already fixed similar to what Red_FIst hast done. This is also super helpful, thank you!
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Keep in mind those other maps may (will) have completely different or other types of problems, or no problems at all until you start working on them.
TourianTourist
Novice

Post by TourianTourist »

Red_Fist wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:09 pm Keep in mind those other maps may (will) have completely different or other types of problems, or no problems at all until you start working on them.
Yeah, they have the same problems and it seems like I can only use one of them without re-building geometry+lighting, which is "Inoxx4" (Station Control). With Inoxx1 (BlockParty) they didn't even bother with rendering the hidden brushes for those towers, but there is another version of this map out there, which I might be able use. But then there is still Inoxx5 (Singularity) left, which is completely missing the city roof view out of the windows for some reason, so this one is completely useless and I'm back to working with RA-Inoxx again...

It's a shame, because I got so far (I've got all other Dreamcast exclusive DM maps ready except for these) and I'd wish I had your level of experience to do this, but I'm in no rush and I will finish my "little" 20th Anniversary project eventually. And if you're willing to help me out further, let me know.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I don't get what you mean about "3 towers" there is only one structure in that map I sent. Are you making a new map that has 3 ?
TourianTourist
Novice

Post by TourianTourist »

Red_Fist wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:58 pm I don't get what you mean about "3 towers" there is only one structure in that map I sent. Are you making a new map that has 3 ?
Sorry for the confusion. There are mutliple arenas in RA-Inoxx (which comes with the Rocket Arena mod), four of which got turned into separate DM maps for the Dreamcast version of Unreal Tournament: DM-Megaplex, DM-BlockParty, DM-Singularity and DM-StationControl. I'm interested in all four of them, but each of them has one of these tower structures that is causing these glitches.

So, in the end I'm working on four different maps, but they all were originating from RA-Inoxx. So, if you have some more time on your hands, probably the best / least complicated way of helping me would be fixing RA-Inoxx, so I could build the map without issues. I can go on from there.

But that's a lot to ask, so I'm already quite happy with the example that you've provided with DM-Megaplex.