request for fix a ctf map

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: request for fix a ctf map

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 6:14 pm Entertaining alignment at Grid over there...
Oh well - it was a Beta 2 and it was going to be improved but presumably the author never got round to doing it. Still it's a fun map to play.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

To be honest I cannot say absolutely nothing at design chapter, else Editor is... Editor, you can expect building bugs because this mess is unable to held vertex data if brush is handled-rotated, I did some testing previous days and I know results - pretty disappointing.
But... If I'm talking about paths... Here is not only a screwed up work, but Editor is participating in stage with thousands of specs.

I got a sample with that Brush replaced and... under 2000 reachspecs + AlternatePaths + Paths toggling attached - I like how are playing Bots now this beautiful map...

Edit: Aaand... nope. There is still a borked spot nearby that Brush and by moving things a little bit bug is moved elsewhere... Too bad... I do not intend to stay here two months fixing it...
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Yes, fix one thing and another bug appears - this is on the ground floor in the Blue base in Swanky's CTF-Double-X_quick&dirty2020 - an invisible barrier that permits player movement through it but not projectiles as can be seen from this (the 'barrier' is just in front of me and quite deep so it's more than just a 'wall')
DoubleX.jpg
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

All I did was order the add brush "to last"on the walkway section at the edge of the walk, not on the straight walk section but the first brush that touches it.

I didn't test the whole map before or after, but that blocking area went away.
Binary Space Partitioning
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Red_Fist wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:06 am All I did was order the add brush "to last"on the walkway section at the edge of the walk, not on the straight walk section but the first brush that touches it.

I didn't test the whole map before or after, but that blocking area went away.
Perhaps you'd like to post your version?
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Be quicker easier for you to edit it, takes a second, I used original map. The add brush that meets the straight walk way on the blue. Just right click the brush and "order" "to last",, rebuild.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Hmm, I already wrote that ONLY rebuilding the map makes the obstacle vanishing. Putting it to last was not necessary.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Barbie wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:35 pm Hmm, I already wrote that ONLY rebuilding the map makes the obstacle vanishing. Putting it to last was not necessary.
Yes, I saw that - I just wondered if there is a solution that doesn't create a 'bug' elsewhere in the geometry of the map but perhaps that's not possible in this map?

EDIT -- Just rebuilding the map does work indeed - having tried that, I got the small 'black hole' obstacle reported by darksonny but it isn't big enough or high enough to prevent walking over it, for me anyway. Thus far there seem to be no other 'bugs' like the invisible barrier in the Blue base.
Red_Fist wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:35 am Be quicker easier for you to edit it, takes a second, I used original map. The add brush that meets the straight walk way on the blue. Just right click the brush and "order" "to last",, rebuild.
I tried that but the invisible barrier in the righthand side groundfloor Blue base that I referred to in an earlier post appeared.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Send every problem spot brush "to last" and see what gives.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Red_Fist wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:53 pm Send every problem spot brush "to last" and see what gives.
Could do but personally I'm happy with the way it is now - there is really very minimal (almost unnoticeable) interference with movement and gameplay.
darksonny
Adept

Post by darksonny »

OjitroC wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:58 pm
Red_Fist wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:53 pm Send every problem spot brush "to last" and see what gives.
Could do but personally I'm happy with the way it is now - there is really very minimal (almost unnoticeable) interference with movement and gameplay.
Thanks to everybady, and Barbie, indeed this is what I did finally to get any decent result...I saved into my collection as ctf-double-x_v2.zip and added a note with the partial fix in another txt file "notes version 2". That is it. Thanks!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

That might not be the only issue with the map.

You'll note, he's standing on nothing.
Attachments
Shot0131.png
Shot0125.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:05 pm That might not be the only issue with the map.

You'll note, he's standing on nothing.
Yes, I've just noticed that as well. There are issues to do with the pathing (as sektor noted) with some nodes too close to the edges of the walkways - I use relics and they spawn at pathnodes so I can see, in-game, where some of the pathnodes are.

For me, the invisible 'platform' and small barrier aren't really woth worrying about or trying to fix.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Mmmm... it's different.
Those lousy things are just happened because some parts were automated - those paths are not user made. All Nodes placed over ledges were demonstrating that Mr. Fat-Boy Scout could walk around leaving Nodes in supposed good locations - those are "brushes" capable to stop everything. That's why I checked a bit of details and... Nah... too bad it was a beauty...

PathsLinker also confirmed some barrier around that "only-a-brush" with problems. Two nodes around it claimed unreachable path - blocked by BSP. After rebuilding map spot was okay but... I saw bugs elsewhere, because those brushes have funky floating values I can even show that said brush turned in semisolid has a sort of polygon not a polygon, turning it into various formats is not an answer, brush is bugged and it's closer to some nasty BSP Cuts which are demonstrating that map has other serious problems too. Feel free to export map in t3d and... smile, be social, be happy, whatever. Be nice, if you are not nice use plastic surgery or something cheaper like a mask, lol...