DM-Castellum Final

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
McFrag
Average

Re: DM-Castellum-RC2

Post by McFrag »

ok, I've fixed the sky. Its just an ordinary pain zone. If a player gets killed in there she/he looses a frag.

Link to RC3:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhO0_2oZHvVCg-gu8xS ... A?e=Cp5ftR

Thanks again!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: DM-Castellum-RC1

Post by papercoffee »

McFrag wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:44 pm Link to a cool Video about it from Sören (The musician):
Someone knows how to advertise his map, huh?
:mrgreen:
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: DM-Castellum-RC3

Post by Red_Fist »

But it's much better to use the cloudzone because it wont show the bullets and rockets hitting the SKY. !!!!

So all you needed was add a kill trigger, I would totally leave in the cloudzone, All that work and it's dorky to see stuff hit the sky. :cry:
________________________________-
oops, never mind I see you left it in.
Binary Space Partitioning
McFrag
Average

Post by McFrag »

Red_Fist wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:53 pm But it's much better to use the cloudzone because it wont show the bullets and rockets hitting the SKY. !!!!

So all you needed was add a kill trigger, I would totally leave in the cloudzone, All that work and it's dorky to see stuff hit the sky. :cry:
________________________________-
oops, never mind I see you left it in.
Bit there is a cloud zone above and around the pain zone. All projectiles are getting soaked away by it. At least on my system. Did you observe the sky explosions in RC3?
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

No I didn't play the map before I posted, it's working fine.
Ubir4
Adept

Post by Ubir4 »

Nice Work!
McFrag
Average

Post by McFrag »

Argh, a last minute nasty bug makes me terribly sad. I tried for the whole night to get rid of it, but even rebuilding whole parts of the map didn't solve the issue.
I'm talking about the "air walk" issue you can see in the video (linked above) beginning at second 0:40. Players can just walk in the air when jumping from the bridge into the room with the armor aiming at the lights at the rounded walls. Funny thing, even when I deleted the whole room and rebuild it, or exchanged the sloped ceiling from subtractive brushes to additive ones, or changed order of the brushed, the air walking behavior remained. It only went away when I used no sloped ceiling at all - which of cause looks ugly and really doesn't fit the maps style.

Did anyone of yo observed a bugs like this before? Any clue how this could get fixed?
:???: :???: :???:
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Switch into the BSP cut view
BSPcut.png
BSPcut.png (113.18 KiB) Viewed 523 times
...maybe a totally different brush in a another part of the map is causing those errors
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

It's those damn semisolid brushes if you ask me.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Try altering that sloped ceiling a bit, I just had a similar bug on a map I was working on, took a long time to find the problem but for me it was one of the corners of a brush was 1 UU off to the side, probably while I was vertex editing it.

I swear this editor can really be picky sometimes :sad2:
McFrag
Average

Post by McFrag »

I played around a bit with the build options. One setting combination which makes this issue disappear without causing new trouble is:
Optimization = Good
Optimize Geometry = true
Build Visibility Zones = true
Minimize Cuts = 0
Ignore Portals = 100

With this setting the map plays and looks correctly, but in the BSP Cuts view it look rather terrible.
I forgot how terrible this whole BSP hole topic was.... :)

=MERGED=

I'm tired and maybe even close.

RC4:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhO0_2oZHvVCg-gu8xS ... A?e=UDls36

Fixed airwalk bug
Fixed resulting BSP holes (Yes, those freaking semi solids...)
Fixed LiftExit now using correct tags of the two triggers triggering elevators
Very slightly improved pathing

Know issues:
In you stress your z-achis perspective in one or two corners, or when flying up as spectator to look down you'll find PSB holes. Damn ....
Last edited by papercoffee on Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: double post
papercoffee
Godlike

Re: DM-Castellum-RC4

Post by papercoffee »

@McFrag Please read the House Rules ...it's now the second time that I have to merge your posts.
Please refrain from double posting within a 24 hours time limit. You can edit your former post to add more content.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

McFrag wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:30 pmI played around a bit with the build options.
I recommend putting a kind of striking "Readme" containing the build settings into the map in case that you or other wants to rebuild the map later.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I see what is wrong, you built it wrong (not a bad thing but for the air walk problem)

You used an add brush inside to then subtract away for space which leaves a subtract brush being subtracted inside a subtract brush.

So if that spot was hollowed out from the main brush subtract in the first place, there would be no need to carve out a new spot to make the add brush gone.

Like too many steps when just one area would be just one empty spot.

Keep in mind I am no pro either, but it's just the mechanics of starting out with an empty or solid space in the editor by default, so here we need to always subtract a space first away from a solid chunk void, and becomes confusing.

The other thing are those zones below for the lava, they really don't need to be a zone at all. Just delete them and put in a green 2 sided non solid and not a "portal" since there is no need since people can't get in the lava in the first place. Only unless you were doing something with zone lighting, but it don't need a zone actor at all.

The other thing is get rid of all the stuff outside the map before you go crazy trying to fix BSP holes.
McFrag
Average

Post by McFrag »

Hello again,

I know it went a bit far with this map here. When I started the fist post I really believed it would be just a matter of some days until the final release.
Reality proved me wrong. :ironic2:

However, today I'm glad to be able to finally release "the beast". :mrgreen:
I'll upload it to UnrealArchive and share the link here:
https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... f6d40.html

This version doesn't have the "airwalk bug" anymore and also the obvious BSP hole are gone. In fact I only know of one and this this one is a bit tricky to find. Let's just call it a map

I want to thank all of you who took the effort to look into the map and who helped improving it! It is really so cool to see an active community for such an old game! You rock!

THANK YOU!!!

@papercoffee : sorry for the double posts. House rules now finally read and understood :agree1: