Spectator start point

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Spectator start point

Post by EvilGrins »

When doing map edits I find it handy to go in-game and check how things are going, but I periodically find that where I start in Spectator Mode doesn't have access to the rest of the map.

Been trying to figure out what determines where spectators start, but I'm not having any luck.

More often than not the only way I can check out a map like that is by using the bots' view, but that limits me to only wherever they go.
Attachments
Shot0106.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Spectator start point

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:24 pm When doing map edits I find it handy to go in-game and check how things are going, but I periodically find that where I start in Spectator Mode doesn't have access to the rest of the map.
Could you not Ghost to where you do have access to the rest of the map and then go back to spectating?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:58 pmCould you not Ghost to where you do have access to the rest of the map and then go back to spectating?
2 things... I was not aware i could play the map and then switch to spectator, if that's what you mean.

Cheat Codes don't work when you're in Spectator Mode.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:03 am 2 things... I was not aware i could play the map and then switch to spectator, if that's what you mean.

Cheat Codes don't work when you're in Spectator Mode.
Oh right, didn't know that.

When you spectate in a map and find when you start you don't have access to the rest of the map - if you exit the map and restart it, do you always start in a place where you don't have access? If so, you could just start the map normally and ghost up and out of the map (so you don't interfere with the action) and watch from overhead what goes on?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:19 amif you exit the map and restart it, do you always start in a place where you don't have access?
Yep.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

You can start map normally and bind a key for quick ghosting. I could quickly test maps which I worked on with no issues by ghosting in area with interest - of course, monsters are getting mad because they can see you... unless you input other commands...
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Don't need a keybind for that. Not that hard to type in "ghost".
sektor2111 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:33 amof course, monsters are getting mad because they can see you... unless you input other commands...
I used to love doing that while ghosting, get a monsters attention and then retreat into a wall.

Monster would run up to the wall, and continue to stare at me.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

You could use MrLoathsome's Random Spawn Location mutator (RSL.u) and see if you spawn where you have access to the whole of the map.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Offtopic, but what map is that? Looks awesome!

Ontopic, I did notice quite a few AS maps get in that situation, I remember one of them (forgot the name of the map), where if the spectator started in the defender room, the mapper left an arrow to an air vent that would let them out to explore the map.

Worst case scenario, like some people said, „ghost” and disable HUD.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Wouldn't it be easy to code a Mutator that uses ModifyPlayer() to set the world collision of spectators to FALSE? Then a spectator can fly around like in ghost mode.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett