Mover question

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
McFrag
Average

Mover question

Post by McFrag »

Hello,

I’m looking for a specific mover configuration. I searched the internet and this forum but couldn’t find the answer. This can only mean that my requirements are either to simple to write about them, or that they are too complicated, too unusual, or just too stupid.
However, I still would love to configure my elevators in this way and can’t help myself but to ask here. 😊
I want to have an elevator that moves (upwards) and stays open until the player leaves the platform. so, theoretically, if the player decides to just camp on the elevator it would stay open until forever. (To prevent this being a terrible bad design the area must not be a dead end). But as soon as the player moves on (leaves the mover) it returns to its base.
Normally I would set this up with a trigger that sends the elevator back down which is located in front of the elevator and that the player must pass when moving on. But I need to consider, that the player gets killed on top of the platform and thus can never activate the trigger. This would lead into an elevator remaining in the wrong position until somebody activates the trigger accidently. I don’t want this because for the gameplay of my map it is crucial that the elevator always gets back as fast as possible. With the described behavior I basically want to give players enough time to get of the elevator without having to setup a high “StayOpenTIme” for it.

Any idea how this could be achieved?
Thanks!
Barbie
Godlike

Re: Mover question

Post by Barbie »

When a triggered mover reaches the upper position it fires an Event that activates a custom Actor that periodically scans the region around the mover for players. If no one is found, it sends the mover back and deactivates itself.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

set mover to " trigger control " stand all day long, it's like Quake 1 used to do so you could trap players below for them to get killed in a fight, LoL was fun too. Or if someone is following you you could stay on the mover long enough to get THEM since they have to shoot from below or you could quick get off and track them.

Make a tall trigger collision and put a retrigger delay in for the time of the move time add up and down. So if you did leave right away the trigger will work right away again in synch as soon as the mover goes back to keyframe 0. you may also need a very slight delay in the mover like .05, or .01 so it don't go up so fast as soon as you touch the trigger, just long enough to get on the lift.

The drawback is someone can stand in the trigger below and never let you down or allow players to go down that way. So don't do a to big of radius to allow for less tolerance so if they step out the trigger the retrigger delay won't allow them to hold the mover up in case they move away. And set mover to ignore when crushed.

Pretty sure you can do this without a trigger, but I always had better results with a tall trigger. You get problems with the mover radius and sluggishness, I can't remember, but I always opted to use a trigger.

Also if the player dies it will still move down.
Binary Space Partitioning
McFrag
Average

Post by McFrag »

ok, I got it.
Its quiet easy apparently. All you need is a normal triggered mover. Set the collision hull of the trigger as high as the elevator. In the mover set Object->InitialSate to TriggerControl. I also recomend to add a slight "DelayTime" of 0.250000 to the mover. All done :)
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I am talking more a delay of the total mover time put in the triggers "re trigger delay" then the mover will have to cycle only in the the trigger time allows it to move.

BUT, if you stay put you can keep the mover up, you want to synchronize if the trigger can be triggered only when the mover is down, and not through it's cycle or while moving.
Last edited by Red_Fist on Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Binary Space Partitioning
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

This is the same as doors from Niven ( which I happily ruined before in that mutator...)
As long as Player is in trigger's radius (collision) and Mover is a "Triggercontrol" type, it won't move until you "UnTrigger" it... Here is definitely needed an adjusted trigger according to mover's movement if said mover is a LIFT.