Does any of you knows a good reason to put all sort of texture properties to a portal which is HIDDEN in all ways ? (CTF-((Apo))ARC_PlaTIDUS in stage)
Why I'm asking ? Because after removing all those stupid alignments and extra super duper "Detail" properties for a texture INVISIBLE, the warp zone started to work perfectly, no HOMS, No BSP problems, just a great Warp.
What are for these corrections for a texture which doesn't have to be seen in run-time ? Anti-cheat support, cheat support ? Please, light my tiny brain.
- Posts: 7404
- Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:12 pm
- Personal rank: God of Fudge
- Location: Palo Alto, CA
- Posts: 404
- Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:06 pm
- Personal rank: Brush Commander
- Location: inside ze bocks
Surface properties (invisible or not) affect warp zone portals, a proof of this can be found by flipping the texture.
Next: If you ask me about some common "RANT". Let me see:
- annoying sounds for any player hitting any kicker in any Base - to me it looks like a jerky setup making me to mute game or turning off speakers;
- 0.2 logic at inventories for a map intended for normal CTF - a normal CTF needs NORMAL setup and weapons not only one ammo type and redeemers;
- zero paths at lifts - not all of them need paths I have to admit...;
- perhaps it does a funky thing if a flag goes down in water and warping... and warping back, and so on until it's returned by itself - a waste of time;
- PlayerStart-s causing less reachable routes and... a lot of paths that are not needed nearby Other paths.
Given said instances found here and in other map (which I was editing - paths fixing) I wrote another feature in "Garbage-Lord":
- Replacing an Inventory from map - aiming maps with paths tweaked (where it's not recommended any rebuild) and connecting newer inventory exactly in place and marked as it was the original;
- Putting down stupid lights boosted at maximum values 255 Brightness and 255 Radius. If a value goes over X then it will be changed at another defined Y - lower, all in the same time in less than a second.
These are coming out after doing more other tests.
Edit: Subject - Next thingy
LevelInfo does look like is hosting (image from here) 3 Linked lists - two are empty even if map has monsters because PawnList is created in run-time and also SpawnNotify is None here. My question is: Then why do we need other data like NavigationPointlist because these can be mapped in run-time too. If map is sitting unused on Hard-drive can be simple - empty - nobody is navigating on a map sitting in a folder from whatever computer. When a server/game loads it for players, we can generate this linked list in a few milliseconds, it's not needed to be there hard-coded as usual. Actor connector I think can be even smaller than the number of total bytes generated by this list when it's a big one, actor also might have code stripped and only 1 line explaining the purpose of this actor placed in map and scheduled for auto-destruction at end of task. Can we do smaller maps than a small map then ? Maybe yes. What do you think about this ?
- Posts: 808
- Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:32 pm
- Personal rank: Soulless Automaton
- Location: France
Only texture orientation affects warpzones as it is used to define the way the two sides of the warp are connected. All surface flags (apart from Portal) and the texture itself are useless.PrinceOfFunky wrote: ↑Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:45 pmSurface properties (invisible or not) affect warp zone portals, a proof of this can be found by flipping the texture.
- Posts: 901
- Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:13 pm
- Personal rank: Good news everyone!
- Location: Canada
To create warpzones, do your csg work, make sure the mating portal "box" or "shape" both match, add new sheets. Transform them permantently if you like. Add the wz actors and build. Run the map - If any portals are blocked (black or glitching out) then reverse/flip one of the two portal sheets - do not transform after you flip it. rebuild and voila portal will usually work. If not then flip the other sheet instead. This has always worked for me. Many of my maps have wz portals in them and they all work.
As for causing a linked list in run-time, if ALL UT versions are not having issues, UT469 OFF-Line (not tested ON-Line yet - perhaps it doesn't worth) does a funky crash at "FindPlayerStart" and ONLY 469. Maybe it has another "fix"... And... it's not an one time crash when game was crashing at "server-travel" (was a local game) to the same map - trying to play/test maps multiple times... but this is another chapter to discuss even it was another curiosity of me.