Crediting others for their work is important...

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: Crediting others for their work is important...

Post by EvilGrins »

TourianTourist wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:44 pmI kind of have a similar problem with Jeroen Van Sweeveldt, who've made the PC version of CTF-Sundial, which I want to use for my upcoming PS2/Dreamcast map pack.
You mean this? Think somebody beat you to it.
https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... d9b3d.html
OjitroC wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:51 pmHere's the readme from his CTF-Tundra[[ice]]V2
Huh... guess I missed that one. Thanks!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:35 pm Take LexiconDevil, for example. He's got a lot of great maps and I found 1 practically screaming for an edit... which admittedly I've started;
At the risk of hijacking the thread - just a quick diversion. In both versions of CTF-Tundra[[ice] that I have there are some really horrible HOM effects (textures sliding and overlapping when you look at them and then move your viewpoint) at the margins of the map - they're particularly noticeable to the sides of and behind both bases and also when viewed from the top of the hill in the centre - does the version you have not have those HOMs?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:42 amIn both versions of CTF-Tundra[[ice] that I have there are some really horrible HOM effects (textures sliding and overlapping when you look at them and then move your viewpoint) at the margins of the map - they're particularly noticeable to the sides of and behind both bases and also when viewed from the top of the hill in the centre - does the version you have not have those HOMs?
Hadn't noticed any in-game.

I re-texturized the map. The generic ice all over everything was bland and annoying so I replaced it with snow, with cold looking stone along the tops of the structures of the bases.

Haven't changed the outer textures of the background as yet, but that's next.

If/when the author gets back to me, there's some pathing help I need... though I'm trying some things on my own to see if I can fix them.
Attachments
Shot0059.png
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

"Just make sure to mention him in your readme and do not try to pass his work as your creation."

Amen to that, if I was dead (or not) they better put my nick name in there someplace.
Binary Space Partitioning
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Credits goes at Bill Gates too - everywhere, without his computers/os you would not have any UT... :mrgreen:
Have you released your stuff outside in the wild ? Good... Take in account that in China everything can be copied/adjusted including a crapped UNR file which friends are calling it UT map and let me see what can you do about that... If crediting is important, don't forget The Master.

PS: I think I'll screw up a messed up work even after 70 hours passing from author's death. If in this old game everyone is sitting stuck in permissions you can say bye to development... These maps were helping me to understand all sort of bugs, by working on them, else I wouldn't be capable to understand what is here and there, what is this and that. If I don't want some of my small server-side things to be known, I'm simply not releasing them in public (this doesn't mean that I'm not sharing them privately if I'm asked for them).
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

sektor2111 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:26 amCredits goes at Bill Gates too - everywhere, without his computers/os you would not have any UT...
Pretty sure I could've played it on an Etch-a-Sketch...
sektor2111 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:26 amThese maps were helping me to understand all sort of bugs, by working on them
In that case I may send a pathing request on this one in the near future over on HoF.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:25 am
OjitroC wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:42 amIn both versions of CTF-Tundra[[ice] that I have there are some really horrible HOM effects (textures sliding and overlapping when you look at them and then move your viewpoint) at the margins of the map - they're particularly noticeable to the sides of and behind both bases and also when viewed from the top of the hill in the centre - does the version you have not have those HOMs?
Hadn't noticed any in-game.
You don't get anything like this from the hill in the centre?
TundraIce.jpg
sektor2111 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:26 am If in this old game everyone is sitting stuck in permissions you can say bye to development... These maps were helping me to understand all sort of bugs, by working on them, else I wouldn't be capable to understand what is here and there, what is this and that.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that you can't do this. Have a look at the links that Metalfist posted to get a better understanding of the debate here.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:59 amYou don't get anything like this from the hill in the centre?
Haven't noticed anything like that so far, nope.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:56 pm Haven't noticed anything like that so far, nope.
Oh well, that is odd - I have tried different renderers but with the same result.
TourianTourist
Novice

Post by TourianTourist »

EvilGrins wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:24 am You mean this? Think somebody beat you to it.
https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... d9b3d.html
Yeah, this. Not sure what you mean, though, by "beat you to it". My version will be a little bit different and included in a map pack.
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

Creditting is not sufficient according to the Unreal Engine EULA: https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/eula/publishing

Part 11 clearly states ownership (of selfmade content) to the developer, so you NEED to ask AND get permission to abide that part. Part 12 clearly states that this EULA replaces any prior EULA released as it is in effect from 1998 to present year, and covers the Unreal Engine itself, not just one particular version of it.

The EULA is ment to secure EPIC a steady income from royalty from the games developed using their engine, this does not include UT99, or does it? Back in the days (EULA released with UT in 1999) we where not allowed to charge money for anything related to UT, but now we are, this EULA opens up for that, we just have to pay royalty for the income.
Retired.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

TheDane wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:00 pm Part 12 clearly states that this EULA replaces any prior EULA released as it is in effect from 1998 to present year, and covers the Unreal Engine itself, not just one particular version of it.
I've read it several times and I don't think Part 12 states that the new EULA replaces any previous EULA - the year 1998 refers to the year when the Unreal® Engine was first subject to copyright. I am not at all sure that the EULA to which UT99 is subject can be retrospectively altered (plus there is the practical consideration that no-one would be aware of the changes and so unable to act upon them or abide by them - this is dealt with in the current version of the Engine by requiring people to set up an account to download the software and to provide an email address for contact by Epic should that be necessary). In addition, there is much in the current EULA that doesn't relate to UT99 (one example being that individuals are not able to download the Engine code for UT99). It seems fairly clear to me that that EULA refers to the current version of the Engine rather than to previous versions.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

We were talking author to author, I still say so long as you don't make money off the other guy, and credit him in the new version, there is no need for permission.
Binary Space Partitioning
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Side Note:
At no point did Outlook buy-out or take ownership of hotmail.
Both are brand names owned and created by Microsoft. Microsoft simply wanted to consolidate their email properties into 1 shared name.
My hotmail address works just fine thanks in all MS logins, including skype and the MS webmaster account.

It is just a name. Hotmail was never a piece of software. It is just a domain name, which you can map to whatever IP address you want as long as you still own that domain.
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

OjitroC wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:32 pm In addition, there is much in the current EULA that doesn't relate to UT99 (one example being that individuals are not able to download the Engine code for UT99). It seems fairly clear to me that that EULA refers to the current version of the Engine rather than to previous versions.
I'm sorry, but I don't follow your logic here? You agree to it refering back to 1998 as Unreal Engine, but still seem fairly convinced that it refers to the current version of the engine? The current version doesn't go back to 1998, only UE1 does?

I agree that this new EULA is indeed tricky, and EACH AND EVERY prior EULA has been completely removed from EPIC's websites, and they have NOT replied to my previous attempts to clear this out, by mail nor their forums, so.....??

But, legaly, you should abide by this EULA, since it's the ONLY one accessable at the moment, and because it refers to Unreal Ungine unnumbered - dating back to 1998.
Retired.