Crediting others for their work is important...

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Crediting others for their work is important...

Post by OjitroC »

TheDane wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:16 pm I see that obsolutely nowhere in my EULA nor the only one public available. Please provide me with a valid link to such written sentence writen and posted by an official source? That would be great, then we would know we are under the old agreement if it's online at an official place, otherwise we are down to the agreement in our OWN purchase, not any EULA posted by others through their purchases. Your egreement is yours alone, it does not affect me or others?
That quotations is from the version of the EULA posted by Wormbo.

Yes, of course, that is the point - you are bound by the EULA for what you purchased - I'm bound by the EULA for what I purchased. That doesn't make them any the less 'official' or indeed any less binding on us. The EULA doesn't have to be online to be 'official' - it becomes official when you first use the software to which it refers. What I've posted are examples of EULAs. There will not be a single 'official' EULA for UT99 - there will be (possibly quite a few) EULAs for different versions of UT99 as packaged and distributed by different lisensors and sold in different legal jurisdictions.
TheDane wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:16 pm Please stop this yes-no-yes-no-yes-no, don't copy/paste stuff, give me a link to the official EULA where it states that an agreement cannot be altered? Many (if not all?) companies does this, e.g. PayPal has updated thier agreement 3 times alone this year. It's very common to adjust agreements to fit "today". UT EULA as you post reflects the status 20 years ago - EPIC is entitled (according to my personal EULA) to do so?
When you first signed up with PayPal you will have entered an agreement with them that allowed them to change the terms of their agreement with you. The EULAs already posted set out their terms and limitations - except for the one for Wormbo's version of GOTYE, they all make clear that they are the complete Agreement - they do not say that they can be subject to alteration by the Licensor and so it follows that a reasonable interpretation is that they can not be retrospectively and subsequently altered. Provisions for subsequent change have to be written into an Agreement in order for it to be able to be changed (as they are in the EULA for UT2003 I posted). Epic only have the rights over your use of the software that they took upon themselves in their Agreement with you - unless they gave themselves the right to change the Agreement and you agreed to it by using the software, then they have no other rights (other than those relating to their trademarks, etc and those provided by wider copyright law). The Agreement is between two parties - one party can not change an agreement unilaterally - there must be a mechanism for change that enables the user to consider their rights and whether they wish to continue to exercise them (to use the software) - unilateral change does not do this.

Finally, it's clear (to me anyway) that the EULA for the current Unreal Engine relates solely and exclusively to that Engine and not to previous UT games. Everything in it is directed solely to that - not least because, as I've said, users of UT99 do not use the Unreal Engine and they do not have access to the Unreal Engine Code.

It would be interesting to see your EULA.
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

OjitroC wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:01 pm
TheDane wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:16 pm I see that obsolutely nowhere in my EULA nor the only one public available. Please provide me with a valid link to such written sentence writen and posted by an official source? That would be great, then we would know we are under the old agreement if it's online at an official place, otherwise we are down to the agreement in our OWN purchase, not any EULA posted by others through their purchases. Your egreement is yours alone, it does not affect me or others?
That quotations is from the version of the EULA posted by Wormbo.

Yes, of course, that is the point - you are bound by the EULA for what you purchased - I'm bound by the EULA for what I purchased. That doesn't make them any the less 'official' or indeed any less binding on us. The EULA doesn't have to be online to be 'official' - it becomes official when you first use the software to which it refers. What I've posted are examples of EULAs. There will not be a single 'official' EULA for UT99 - there will be (possibly quite a few) EULAs for different versions of UT99 as packaged and distributed by different lisensors and sold in different legal jurisdictions.
TheDane wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:16 pm Please stop this yes-no-yes-no-yes-no, don't copy/paste stuff, give me a link to the official EULA where it states that an agreement cannot be altered? Many (if not all?) companies does this, e.g. PayPal has updated thier agreement 3 times alone this year. It's very common to adjust agreements to fit "today". UT EULA as you post reflects the status 20 years ago - EPIC is entitled (according to my personal EULA) to do so?
When you first signed up with PayPal you will have entered an agreement with them that allowed them to change the terms of their agreement with you. The EULAs already posted set out their terms and limitations - except for the one for Wormbo's version of GOTYE, they all make clear that they are the complete Agreement - they do not say that they can be subject to alteration by the Licensor and so it follows that a reasonable interpretation is that they can not be retrospectively and subsequently altered. Provisions for subsequent change have to be written into an Agreement in order for it to be able to be changed (as they are in the EULA for UT2003 I posted). Epic only have the rights over your use of the software that they took upon themselves in their Agreement with you - unless they gave themselves the right to change the Agreement and you agreed to it by using the software, then they have no other rights (other than those relating to their trademarks, etc and those provided by wider copyright law). The Agreement is between two parties - one party can not change an agreement unilaterally - there must be a mechanism for change that enables the user to consider their rights and whether they wish to continue to exercise them (to use the software) - unilateral change does not do this.

Finally, it's clear (to me anyway) that the EULA for the current Unreal Engine relates solely and exclusively to that Engine and not to previous UT games. Everything in it is directed solely to that - not least because, as I've said, users of UT99 do not use the Unreal Engine and they do not have access to the Unreal Engine Code.

It would be interesting to see your EULA.
I'll start the circle again by replying: NO! (your turn to say yes now, let's just stick to "yes" and "no" - works faster for everyone :tu: )
Retired.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

darksonny wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:22 pm Is here any dead mapper in current times? I dont know of any as im aware of
I think Pizzi it's one (indeed not here - it's in the grave somewhere) of them and the rest are somehow "in state -dead-" as long as they don't return any reply at e-mails...

On-Topic
Subject here is map-editing credits - I would like to know which VALID EULA terms for UT99 have information about Levels not Engine modifications or spam type assumptions - I'm curious what is specified here. Original UScript is not encrypted so you can keep in mind this thing about all purposes at this Level of working.
Other debates out of credits for people's work are OFF-TOPIC. It's a good thing to have some gratitude for original maker out of laws and rules - it's more humanity which is in front of rules and craps, because these are a Human made things after all - some of them might be less fair and not covering all reality samples. So, be a human before anything else.
Last edited by sektor2111 on Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:33 pm On-Topic
Subject here is map-editing credits - I would like to know which VALID EULA terms for UT99 have information about Levels not Engine modifications or spam type assumptions - I'm curious what is specified here.
For the answer to that, I think you need to look at the EULA you have for your version(s) of UT99 (which governs what you can do).
sektor2111 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:33 pm Other debates out of credits for people's work are OFF-TOPIC. It's a good thing to have some gratitude for original maker out of laws and rules - it's more humanity which is in front of rules and craps, because these are a Human made things after all - some of them might be less fair and not covering all reality samples. So, be a human before anything else.
Certainly agree with that.