Crucified Nali - Want to make indestructable.

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
TexasGtar
Adept

Crucified Nali - Want to make indestructable.

Post by TexasGtar »

So is there a way anyone knows of to make a crucified Nail indestructable?
I'd like to have one hanging from chains but do not want it destroyed because then the chains look fake defying gravity once the Nali is destroyed.
I don't want to make the chains movers to move after being destroyed. I want the Nali to always be there for "ambiance"

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Attachments
naliq.jpg
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Re: Crucified Nali - Want to make indestructable.

Post by Metalfist »

Yes you can.
You can place a mesh (for example the knife) and then go to properties and change its mesh to a nali (under display i believe). Then you can set the pose of the mesh as well (I need to check which param). Check the animation window on how the poses are named and fill that name in.
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

Metalfist wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:39 am Yes you can.
You can place a mesh (for example the knife) and then go to properties and change its mesh to a nali (under display i believe). Then you can set the pose of the mesh as well (I need to check which param). Check the animation window on how the poses are named and fill that name in.
That sounds crazy so it will probably work. :noidea I never would have thought of that.

I'll see if I can get it to work. Thanks. That was super fast reply. :thuup:
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

What happens if you just remove the collision radius/height (or is that a silly idea)?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

MapGarbage turns any selected decoration into a BlockAll making a clone of initial decoration. It should be enough indestructible... I guess.

In other hand, is doable a dynamic decoration (set as KeyPoint) configurable with animations and even sounds - triggered or defaulted for animating from time to time.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

If you use a knife, no animations will be played because knife has bStatic=true. Better use Decoration.U for example for such.
Or set Collision to (0/0) for CrucifiedNali to avoid taking damage.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

It's not a Cyberus... but I would go simple on that and just max out its health. To something higher than 9999, something that could survive multiple redeemer strikes.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:16 pm It's not a Cyberus... but I would go simple on that and just max out its health. To something higher than 9999, something that could survive multiple redeemer strikes.
Thing is ... it's a Decoration (Decoration->Carcass->CreatureCarcass-NaliCarcass->CrucifiedNali) rather than a ScriptedPawn - so it doesn't have a Health property.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Check to see how this one was done:
https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... cad84.html

Other than size, I've played the map and haven't seen the ones there die yet... though admittedly I haven't tried to kill them either.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:09 pm Check to see how this one was done:
https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... cad84.html

Other than size, I've played the map and haven't seen the ones there die yet... though admittedly I haven't tried to kill them either.
Those two have a DrawScale of x10 and a very small collision cylinder (for their size) of 48/24, plus Collision bCollideWorld and bProjTarget are set to False - however from a quick and obviously lucky test, if you can find the right spot they can be destroyed - admittedly I only did this with one of them. It would be very difficult to destroy them accidentally.

Setting the collision cylinder to 0/0 and altering the other Collision properties in situations where the 'players' are not going to come in contact with the crucified nali (as in that map) would seem to be an effective way to make them indestructable.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Option #2: Put up a sign next to the Nali saying "Please do not shoot, burn, gib, or otherwise harm this Nali."

That or try and get this going; setup to the Cyberus monster could be adapted (maybe) to your Nali thingy:
Barbie wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:04 pm
EvilGrins wrote:Still working out if there's a way to kill it
No chance if its variable "bVulnerable" is set to TRUE initially. That pawn does not take any damage then:

Code: Select all

class Cyberus expands ScriptedPawn;
function TakeDamage( int Damage, Pawn ins, Vector hitloc, Vector m, name damageType) {
local int oldhealth;
	if ( ! bvulnerable){ //allow shield to handle damage.
		shield.ScaleGlow = 4.0;
		shield.Fatness= 255;
		shield.bhidden=false;
		PlaySound(Sound'UnrealShare.Pickups.Sbelthe2', SLOT_None, 2.7*SoundDampening);
		shield.hold=98;
		return;
	}
EvilGrins wrote:Haven't tried telefragging it yet.
A similar method is used to prevent that Pawn of telefragging (variable "bCanTelefrag").
As I have seen in the code of Cyberus.u there is a special trigger "HurtPawn" that can set bVulnerable to TRUE for all "cyberus" pawns.
Here's Cyberus if you wanna monkey around with it, see if what it has can be adapted to your Nali · https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/112145.html
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

Thank you all for all the good ideas.
Metalfist - Tried the knife trick. Worked good for being indestructible. Looked a little hokey because weapon fire is obviously going right through it. And I never could figure out how to add the animation to the "knife" nali.
It is a good enough work around. I also tried to place a "knife" nali directly on top (overlay)of the actual nali so when the actual nali gets destroyed, there is still a nali presence there. It's probably going to be good enough. I like the idea of friendly fire hitting the actual nali until it explodes. After that you have the shoot through "knife" nali to look at so my ambiance remains. It's not a perfect solution but way better than what I had before. So thanks for the trick.
I never would have thought to try something like this.
------------------------------------------------------------------
OjitroC - I thought about that but I wanted it to take fire and have the blood spurts in case friendly fire hit it. I'm going to try it and see if I can get the blood spurts with a super tiny collision radius but I think it will look like the weapon fire will pass right through it. But still worth a try and see what it does. Haven't got to doing it yet but will let you know how it works when I do.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
sektor2111 - Sounds like something else to give a try and see if it will work. I'll let you know. Thanks.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
evilgrins - You know, if I put a sign there saying don't shoot the nali, everyone is going to want to shoot it. lol
The script on the Cerberus says shield will take damage. Not sure nali has a shield. I don't know about that one. Thanks for the ideas though.
I'll keep trying stuff and see what i think works best.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Barbie-That sounds like it may be the best solution if I can set animations to the fake nali. Thanks. Will definitely try this.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I don't get the spam "or idea" with Cyberus - to me that's a mess. First of all CrucifiedNali is DECORATION all day long and all night long, and it doesn't have more things to do with a PAWN.

//=============================================================================
// CrucifiedNali.
//=============================================================================
class CrucifiedNali extends NaliCarcass;
Topic is about making a CrucifiedNali indestructible - a decoration and ONCE AGAIN, each mesh has it's own animations - knife has nothing to do with animations or whatever mesh changed.
As a sample, this is what I used in certain patch plugin making a sort of false Pawn animating from time to time. It works, TESTED

class E_MonkStatue expands MonkStatue;

event PostBeginPlay()
{
	InitialState='Chatting';
}

Auto State Chatting
{
Begin:
	Sleep(2.00);
RandomChatting:
	Sleep(RandRange(8,12));
//	if ( Level.Game.bGameEnded )
//		GoTo('End');
	if ( HasAnim(Animsequence) )
		PlayAnim(Animsequence,0.6);
	GoTo('RandomChatting');
End:
}
This will run some animation if it's embedded with a configured mesh, it's animating on a random interval 8-12 seconds and guaranteed it won't go anywhere if is bPushable=False and all properties adjusted properly. Here was used a MonkStatue but can be used a KeyPoint not a static one, and a checker if has display type DT_Mesh. I removed Lines with Level.Game because this was aiming client and client doesn't have any Level.Game and would cause Accessed Nones errors, but code works if has a checked for Level.Game or it's authoritatively guided by a server. Here I used a blocker for colliding projectiles placed in the same place in server and client, and client was having added this actor spawned by a notifier smoothly animated by client itself. Maps might have such things more or less dynamic and/or configurable.
Here can be added a TakeDamage spreading some whatever blood each time when it gets damage - I did not needed such things, these were decorations replacing that Introdude junk trying harder to run animations which doesn't exist in a mesh changed.
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

Okay tried what i could on the ideas. I think I will just use the no collision on a regular nali. If I use the knife idea I lose the animation and blood spurts.
Zero collision I also lose blood spurts if accidentally shot but keep the head raise and wiggle animations. It's a compromise. Lots of good help and i appreciate all the help!!!!

I have another nali question but I'll start another thread for that one. hope to see you all in the other nali thread. :tu:

:gj:
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

If you want some blood and Nali animation when shooting at him, why don't you use a custom one where the damage code is removed? Test map attached.
(To take that "UndestroyableCrucifiedNali" stored in MyLevel into your map, open above map and then your map. The MyLevel stuff stays, and you can add the Actor to your map.)
Attachments
TestUndestroyableCrucifiedNali.unr
(7.11 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett