Unreal1 NPC bots that work in ut99

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
User avatar
EvilGrins
Godlike
Posts: 7499
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:12 pm
Personal rank: God of Fudge
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Contact:

Unreal1 NPC bots that work in ut99

Post by EvilGrins » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:11 am

Pretty cool, found these by accident. Basically you an put them on maps, name (so they don't show up as "Player" with numbers) them, and skin them... if you've got skins for the Unreal1 models.

Just the human models, there's no Skaarj NPC unfortunately.

Ideal for standard Deathmatch, there doesn't appear to be a way to assign them to teams like the UTDMW/UTDMT.
Attachments
UnrealNPCs.zip
(3.63 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
Image
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758

User avatar
esnesi
Masterful
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:58 pm
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Re: Unreal1 NPC bots that work in ut99

Post by esnesi » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:25 am

Would love to use these on a gametype, where players are forced into these unreal skins.
Image
- --Discord

User avatar
EvilGrins
Godlike
Posts: 7499
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:12 pm
Personal rank: God of Fudge
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Contact:

Re: Unreal1 NPC bots that work in ut99

Post by EvilGrins » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:04 pm

esnesi wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:25 am
Would love to use these on a gametype, where players are forced into these unreal skins.
Not quite the same thing, and if you could force players to use these Unreal models that would be something separate from this.

As to game types, these are really not designed for team games as you can't assign them to a team. By default they'd show up on the scoreboard as being on the Gold Team but they wouldn't actually be playing on it, attacking those on the Gold Team as much as they'd attack anyone else. Although I suppose they could be configured to play on a team by coding or something.

Their current setup options are limited, mostly just skinning and being given an actual name.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
Image
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758

User avatar
esnesi
Masterful
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:58 pm
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Re: Unreal1 NPC bots that work in ut99

Post by esnesi » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:09 pm

EvilGrins wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:04 pm
esnesi wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:25 am
Would love to use these on a gametype, where players are forced into these unreal skins.
Not quite the same thing, and if you could force players to use these Unreal models that would be something separate from this.

As to game types, these are really not designed for team games as you can't assign them to a team. By default they'd show up on the scoreboard as being on the Gold Team but they wouldn't actually be playing on it, attacking those on the Gold Team as much as they'd attack anyone else. Although I suppose they could be configured to play on a team by coding or something.

Their current setup options are limited, mostly just skinning and being given an actual name.
Ah i understand.
My goal would be, to be able to use these in online coop, or online DM/CTF matches with unreal weapons on them indeed.
Would make the experience cool complete 8)
Image
- --Discord

User avatar
OjitroC
Godlike
Posts: 1856
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: Unreal1 NPC bots that work in ut99

Post by OjitroC » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:11 pm

EvilGrins wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:04 pm
Their current setup options are limited, mostly just skinning and being given an actual name.
Yes, these are the kind of thing used by Jeff Martin in his Bladerunner map for Roy Batty and in the Westworld map for the gunslinger (plus in a couple of other maps of his).

User avatar
EvilGrins
Godlike
Posts: 7499
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:12 pm
Personal rank: God of Fudge
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Contact:

Re: Unreal1 NPC bots that work in ut99

Post by EvilGrins » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:37 pm

OjitroC wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:11 pm
EvilGrins wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:04 pm
Their current setup options are limited, mostly just skinning and being given an actual name.
Yes, these are the kind of thing used by Jeff Martin in his Bladerunner map for Roy Batty and in the Westworld map for the gunslinger (plus in a couple of other maps of his).
Matrix maps too, there's about a dozen of these.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
Image
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758

User avatar
OjitroC
Godlike
Posts: 1856
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: Unreal1 NPC bots that work in ut99

Post by OjitroC » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:55 pm

esnesi wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:09 pm
Ah i understand.
My goal would be, to be able to use these in online coop, or online DM/CTF matches with unreal weapons on them indeed.
Would make the experience cool complete 8)
I think UnrealModels1.u has some 'Unreal' Bots for UT99 (as well as a number of TournamentPlayers). There's also UnPlayers1.01 (uploaded by Leo on this forum I think) - it has a variety of Unreal characters (StoneWoman, Wizard, PostalGuy plus others) as UT Bots and Players. Perhaps these would suit your requirements?

User avatar
esnesi
Masterful
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:58 pm
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Re: Unreal1 NPC bots that work in ut99

Post by esnesi » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:58 pm

OjitroC wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:55 pm
I think UnrealModels1.u has some 'Unreal' Bots for UT99 (as well as a number of TournamentPlayers). There's also UnPlayers1.01 (uploaded by Leo on this forum I think) - it has a variety of Unreal characters (StoneWoman, Wizard, PostalGuy plus others) as UT Bots and Players. Perhaps these would suit your requirements?
Thanks, will go on the hunt!

[edit]
I see it's requested here as well
viewtopic.php?t=4009
VA gives problems with the current newnet setup (Freezing death animations), so that's a nogo sadly.
Will look further into oldskoolamp'dfull, i assume it adds more features on SP, then online sessions.
Last edited by esnesi on Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Image
- --Discord

User avatar
OjitroC
Godlike
Posts: 1856
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: Unreal1 NPC bots that work in ut99

Post by OjitroC » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:06 pm

esnesi wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:58 pm
Thanks, will go on the hunt!
To save you a bit of time, here's the UnrealModels
Unreal1Models.u
(76.08 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
The other I can put together if you can't find it, it's just that I've used some of the models and their skins so they're scattered in different folders - it would just take a short while to find them all and zip them up.

User avatar
EvilGrins
Godlike
Posts: 7499
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:12 pm
Personal rank: God of Fudge
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Contact:

Re: Unreal1 NPC bots that work in ut99

Post by EvilGrins » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:35 am

Interesting.

So I edited a map with a Skaarj on it and then went into play it so I could check it out but I couldn't find it; even dragged in a radar. What I did notice was that I couldn't use spectator mode and I was forced into that same Skaarj form.

So, placing an Unreal1Models Skaarj on the map forces all players to be in that same form... and won't let them hide in spectator mode.

Reason I look like that is because that's the same skin I was using but from a different model.
Attachments
zzzzzzzzzzzzClip0001.png
Shot0056.png
Shot0040.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
Image
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758

User avatar
OjitroC
Godlike
Posts: 1856
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: Unreal1 NPC bots that work in ut99

Post by OjitroC » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:57 am

EvilGrins wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:35 am
Interesting.

So I edited a map with a Skaarj on it and then went into play it so I could check it out but I couldn't find it; even dragged in a radar. What I did notice was that I couldn't use spectator mode and I was forced into that same Skaarj form.

So, placing an Unreal1Models Skaarj on the map forces all players to be in that same form... and won't let them hide in spectator mode.

Reason I look like that is because that's the same skin I was using but from a different model.
The Unreal1Models are all Botpack.TournamentPlayers (the UnrealI Player models 'converted' to UT) - they're something to be played as rather than to be put in a map.

Looking at the .u file, I see I was wrong about there being any Bots as all the models are TournamentPlayers although the .int does suggest there are Bots.

User avatar
EvilGrins
Godlike
Posts: 7499
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:12 pm
Personal rank: God of Fudge
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Contact:

Re: Unreal1 NPC bots that work in ut99

Post by EvilGrins » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:19 pm

This is a general test map I use for things (can't do everything on HallOfGiants) so I set it up with 1 Skaarj.

· Putting a Skaarj on the map forces Human Players to use that model, regardless whatever they're setup with.
· It forces Human Players to play, can't use spectator mode.
· Curiously it doesn't seem to have any impact on bots.

At this time I don't know what happens if you place another character on the map at the same time. Does putting 2 or 3 different things from u1m have a more diversified effect or what??
Attachments
DM-JinxDeathOutdoors-U1M.zip
(183.19 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Shot0053.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
Image
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758

User avatar
OjitroC
Godlike
Posts: 1856
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: Unreal1 NPC bots that work in ut99

Post by OjitroC » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:07 pm

EvilGrins wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:19 pm
This is a general test map I use for things (can't do everything on HallOfGiants) so I set it up with 1 Skaarj.

· Putting a Skaarj on the map forces Human Players to use that model, regardless whatever they're setup with.
· It forces Human Players to play, can't use spectator mode.
· Curiously it doesn't seem to have any impact on bots.
I think what you are basically doing when you put the TournamentSkTrooper (which is subclassed from Botpack.TournamentPlayer) into a map is to put the code (and default properties) of the TST Player into the map, thus forcing any human player (that is you) entering the map to adopt that code and properties, including the mesh. It won't have an effect on Bots as they are governed by their own code (they remain Bots - TMale1Bot, TMale2Bot or whatever)
EvilGrins wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:19 pm
At this time I don't know what happens if you place another character on the map at the same time. Does putting 2 or 3 different things from u1m have a more diversified effect or what??
Can't imagine what happens - chaos? But, just to emphasise, these aren't characters, these are Players (BotpackTournamentPlayers or BotpackTournamentMale/Female) and, as you have shown, not to be used in maps.

Red_Fist
Godlike
Posts: 1819
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Unreal1 NPC bots that work in ut99

Post by Red_Fist » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:41 pm

So do they do anything different ?

Don't care about models, or skins or how they affect a map. What is it they were designed to do, or not do, in the properties.?

NPC too me means you can program them such as like patrol points do, or adjusting attitude, not graphics.
Binary Space Partitioning

User avatar
OjitroC
Godlike
Posts: 1856
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: Unreal1 NPC bots that work in ut99

Post by OjitroC » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:16 pm

Red_Fist wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:41 pm
So do they do anything different ?

Don't care about models, or skins or how they affect a map. What is it they were designed to do, or not do, in the properties.?

NPC too me means you can program them such as like patrol points do, or adjusting attitude, not graphics.
The UnrealNPCs? Nothing different - they're subclassed from UnrealI Bots and the only change to the code is to allow for them to be given a name - the readme suggests they can be used in maps where the mapper wants a specific 'character' with a name, such as a Bladerunner map with the Roy Batty character in it.

The UnrealIModels? They're Unreal Player models playable in UT99.

Post Reply