Rules about Unreal/UT music... for the glory of the empire!

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Rules about Unreal/UT music... for the glory of the empire!

Post by EvilGrins »

A lot of Unreal/UT music is in the .umx format, so they can be used between different games. Like any music made for Unreal1 can be played in UT99, for example.

Not too long back, someone made a Star Trek game that was Klingon themed (never played it myself) with the Unreal Engine... it has compatible files and I'm listening to the music right now.

Pretty cool! All told there's 18 files that come to about 507 MB.

Are there any rules saying I can't use these for UT99 maps?
Attachments
29904-star-trek-the-next-generation-klingon-honor-guard-windows-screenshot.jpg
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Rules about Unreal/UT music... for the glory of the empire!

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:53 am Are there any rules saying I can't use these for UT99 maps?
The starting point for that is in the documentation that came with the game - what does it say about the use of the software and of any assets? Does it say anything in particular about the use of the music and who is the copyright owner of the music?

If you are going to use the music in a map made or edited for your own amusement/enjoyment, then that's probably OK, not least because no one else will know :P

If, after having had regard to the documentation accompanying the game and what is says about the use of assets from the game, you decide to use the music in a map made or edited for distribution to other people, then at the very least you need to include the music as is (unaltered in any way); acknowledge the source of the music and acknowledge who the copyright holder/owner is (the latter two done clearly and unambiguously in a readme accompanying the distributed map and music file).