Mover and their surfaces

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Barbie
Godlike

Mover and their surfaces

Post by Barbie »

I'm really fed up with this: in the past I used the 2D-Editor to build a door consisting of two parts for this texture:
doorC2.jpg
doorC2.jpg (19.07 KiB) Viewed 367 times
It was a bit of work but finally the brushes perfectly matched the shape of the texture. Then I applied the texture to the brush and - waaah - the texture scattered up into multiple parts (about half a dozen, cannot remember clearly), orientated in a random way. Impossible to align them all, also because some parts were very small. So here I even didn't reach the stage of having a mover.

Why invent the wheel again? There are maps with exact these kind of door, for example AS-Guardia. :D Let's just copy this door to my map. Hmm, it is too tiny, let's scale it up by 1.5. Whow, nice, even the texture scales up correctly. But then, testing the map, the door didn't block players, you could walk through like through a cloud! :pfff: But we have learned here that it is better to transform permanently movers, and so did I. Now the mover blocks like it should, but looks ugly because the textures had gone wild. Ok, let's rearrange the texture, and it looks perfectly aligned in the editor. But running the map the texture looks randomized again? :omfg: Test map for this attached.
Attachments
WiredMoverSurface.unr.7z
(4.81 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Mover and their surfaces

Post by papercoffee »

Did you use the align to floor trick?
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

That was fun. Let's see if it stays put this time. lol

I didn't align the edges though. You can do that to suit.

Align to floor trick worked.
Tried Sandwich trick did not work on both sides, only 1 door for some reason.
Attachments
Shot0028.jpg
WiredMoverSurfacefix.unr
(33.26 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Thanks for that.
What is the Sandwich/Align-to-floor-trick? And the original question was: Why is the surface orientation different in Editor and running the map?

And how do you create such movers?
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

Barbie wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:05 pm Thanks for that.
What is the Sandwich/Align-to-floor-trick? And the original question was: Why is the surface orientation different in Editor and running the map?

And how do you create such movers?
Well you will notice that when you build a brush against another brush, the texture from the existing brush is "imprinted on the touching surface"
For example if you build a pillar that touches the ceiling, the ceiling texture will be on the top of the pillar. Move the pillar below the ceiling and you can see the ceiling texture imprints on the top of pillar.
Sometimes you can "sandwich" a brush between two brushes to get the same effect as poly>merge. I was hoping it would imprint the texture on the mover but it only did it on one of the doors. The other door still was all mixed
up in game. Maybe movers are different.

The align to floor trick, which is what worked here, you take your brush that you want to align and position it parallel to the floor. Like these doors are vertical. You simply spin them so the orientation is parallel with the floor. Rebuild. Then select texture> same brush> and align to floor. Then rebuild. Then you just have to spin the brush/door back to its original perpendicular to floor position. The textures stay aligned. Don't do the align to wall/floor/wallpan anymore.

So basically you set the brush so align to floor aligns the surface textures as if it was horizontal with floor. After you do this you can flip it back to the vertical position. It's a hassle but usually works. You still have to align the edges again though. lol
I don't know why it did that. I know that rescaling brushes sometimes gives weird results. Maybe it was transformed permanantly before you did it and it kept remembering the first transform permanently. Who knows?
It was strange but I have seen that happen where it looks fine in editor but then in game the mover texture is incorrect or jumbled. Maybe it's a mover brush thing? I really don't know why it does that. Just to mess with us I guess.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Thanks for explanation!
TexasGtar wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:15 pmalign to floor trick
Who has figured that out?
:loool:
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

Barbie wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:31 pm Thanks for explanation!
TexasGtar wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:15 pmalign to floor trick
Who has figured that out?
I don't even know how I know that. Maybe papercoffee had a different align to floor trick in mind?
All I know is it works sometimes. Most brushes you build in the 2d editor will probably need this "trick" to align textures up if polygons>merge doesn't work.
Even though it is a hassle it is still quicker than trying to align all those tiny pieces. :D
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I think what I do is, make an add brush, fix textures, apply polys to brush, make mover.

Or it might be ,,,merge ploys, fix textures,,,

I can't remember but it has to do with how you make the mover. I think it's picking the original alignment of the way the mover was made. So if the original brush is exactly like the mover it was made from, the textures shouldn't change.
Binary Space Partitioning