Food Fight in Toon Town

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Food Fight in Toon Town

Post by EvilGrins »

This is an edit of this map · https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... 16248.html

It's a sizable map and it's well spaced, the pathing seems to be more than adequate. Nice placement of power-ups. It did suffer 1 significant issue.

No weapons!

I started working on that, put in 2 appropriately named UTDMT, and I stopped and considered that maybe I'd go with a different than normal WeaponPack. =FoodFight= seemed ideal for this map, and here we all are.

I used everything that's in that WeaponPack, including armor and power-ups, and a couple things I still don't know what exactly what they do. All in all it seems to work, although the Titans kinda are overkill... but it's a big enough map you can avoid them (duck down a side street) and concentrate on the flags.

Usual Suspects:
.u - /system
.umx - /music
.unr - /maps
.utx - /textures

If you don't already have =FoodFight= you can get it here · https://www.moddb.com/mods/food-fight/d ... n-mod-fina

Enjoy!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/de19isg6r ... onTown.zip
Last edited by EvilGrins on Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Food Fight in Toon Town

Post by OjitroC »

Yes, Food Fight is a good choice for a cartoon type map :tu:

Noticed one or two odd or interesting things that I may have noticed before when using FF but don't really remember - the chef's apron only gives one armor point when first picked up but picked up again the armor goes up to 49. The speed of the carrots is very slow and pressing AltFire seem to lock the weapon, meaning I couldn't switch weapons. Without the mutator, one starts off with the enforcer, which is a bit weird.

Two sets of jump boots are outside the 'play area' but still in the map (that is, not in the void) - as the boots are needed to get the power-ups and are also generally useful, perhaps this needs to be addressed?

Do the bots actually jump the hedges?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:33 amDo the bots actually jump the hedges?
Yes. Well, they jump very high and sometimes go over the hedges but I'm not sure how on purpose that is.

Sometimes they get swatted over the hedges by the Titans too.
OjitroC wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:33 amTwo sets of jump boots are outside the 'play area' but still in the map (that is, not in the void)
Did not notice that, bots use the jump boots often so I assumed they were in the map.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:37 am Yes. Well, they jump very high and sometimes go over the hedges but I'm not sure how on purpose that is.
That's OK - the reason I ask is because there are a few pathnodes placed quite high and some of these are on top of the hedges so it looks like the bots do use them (which is good).

The jump boots outside the play area are the other side of the high fence behind the flagbases.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:57 amThe jump boots outside the play area are the other side of the high fence behind the flagbases.
A few things are in that space around the map, antacids and brocconade for example.

Those that don't find those boots will have to content themselves with the jump-boots in the parking lots of the motel and gas station.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

There is no single route to powerups and neither redeemer. Jumping with jumpboots ? That's luck/combat stuff not navigation.
Testing ?
Place Rememberspot near Redeemer/UDamage/Invisibility then suicide or walk away lower, and then try find Rememberspot with ShowPath... ahah, keep trying...
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

sektor2111 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:13 amTesting?
Only tested it bots on bots, that they can't get everywhere isn't my main concern. I usually focus on whether not not they can reach the flag and if they can score.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Out of focus. Report me tests result - ah, not needed, I already could see these in first 15 seconds in Editor...
This is a VALID miss-balancing between human player vs Bot as follows:
- you get items which Bot won't get having an advantage in front to them;
- have you added some AlternatePaths ? No ? Another prediction of their movement = less challenge;
- then I'm hiding with flag in some spots where they cannot reach having Flag and keeping my advantage - Why ? Not enough paths/reachspecs that's why.
See this sample. I sit here for keeping my TeamScore 3-0 while no enemy bot found me even if my NsCTF has extra features, because any super duper ever CTF controller cannot do anything if map has incomplete paths.
KeepScoringToEnd.png
This is what original pointed map had inside (and still has). Have you added more paths ? Let me guess, not exactly. I did a test with Plain DevPath in Editor. By simply adjusting some PathNodes I got a few Two-Way routes, not tweaking with PathsLinker, just plain Devs.

UTDMT -> Telefrag it, a simple and efficient kill... CTFGame is a translocator game after all, and translocator is a veeeery stock thingy in end.

Why I'm reading these mapping related things/topics ? I'm hoping to find some goodies, balanced and well executed. So far these are not what I'm calling CTF and then I think it's time for me to setup a few cubes - perhaps I wanna test that align textures tool which was posted in forum...
Edit: Added Image for explanations.
Edit2: typos replacements.
Last edited by sektor2111 on Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Could it be better? Sure.

It's okay though.

There are maps I work on that do require a much more serious approach, but I didn't feel this was one of them. Believe me, I could flood you with assessment and pathing requests but I'm pacing myself. Also, I try and limit those to ones I think you'll really enjoy. Not every little basic map, but things that will make you "drool" to work on.

Like that CTF map with the tornadoes on it.

Or, say, this... massive space, 2 bases, multiple levels, no pathing whatsoever, random monsters, etc. It's a leftover from RoseBum that was like those others I told you about before.
Attachments
Shot0014.png
Shot0010.png
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

You can flood me with pathing requests 50% - the rest can be taken by others which might need some more practicing after 20 years of UT... As you see I'm not having a selfish attitude I'm allowing others to do their best... :rock:
Now I think that CTF-Tower should have some game and not really falling with damage in bases, unless it's a looong fall, but anyone else can do an alternate work if my paths aren't good.
Send me next pathing challenge, please.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:27 amOr, say, this... massive space, 2 bases, multiple levels, no pathing whatsoever, random monsters, etc. It's a leftover from RoseBum that was like those others I told you about before.
What map is that?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

CTF-CivilWarIII