How does one setup a Hero Statue?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

How does one setup a Hero Statue?

Post by EvilGrins »

For example, there's some on this map:
https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... 0e553.html

A Hero Statue is a decoration that takes on the form of whatever player is doing best on a map, in that map linked above there's 4 of them, 2 for the red team and 2 for blue. The statue morphs into a representation of who has the highest score on either team, does a brief taunt, and then stays that way until someone else gets a higher score.

There doesn't appear to be a separate file for them, they're entirely setup under MyLevel.

Hero Plaque, which lists the name of what player is on the statue currently, is a separate but related element. It take a few seconds to catch up when the statue morphs.

I'd really like to know how to do this.
Attachments
Shot0082.png
Shot0073.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: How does one setup a Hero Statue?

Post by OjitroC »

What's the model on the right in the top screenshot?

The basic steps are easy enough, I think.

Open the SkyTitan map in UEd - select a HeroStatue - make it Current.

Open the map you want to put it in - find the spot you want it to go - select/clik Add HeroStatue here - it should then be placed in that map. Save the map.

Alter the default properties to whatever you want - will depend on whether it's a DM or CTF map, etc - and see how it works - may need to alter the properties to get what you want precisely.

Have tried all that and placed one HeroStatue in a DM map with just me in the map - the statue showed the correct skin (the skin I had as Player). The Hero is on the left.
HeroStatue.jpg
Haven't tried it to see if animations work or if it changes according to the GameLeader - just a test to see if I could place it in a map OK.

Presumably you do the same with the HeroPlaque should you want it - haven't tried that.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:05 pmOpen the SkyTitan map in UEd - select a HeroStatue - make it Current.
Oh, that may explain it... I've found a few maps that have Hero Statues setup on them but they allreferenced 1 particular map: DM-HeroStatue110.

Guess that was the first one, though it's weird you have to take it from another map and there's not a .u file for this.
OjitroC wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:05 pmWhat's the model on the right in the top screenshot?
You don't know Smiley?

A guy that made a lot of conversions from Quake & Half-Life made that; still has a site but the downloads are dead. Before I found forums, about a decade ago, I found him. His initial design had the model as largely all 1 color, except for the teeth and eyes/eyebrows... so I fixed it to basically how that looks there, team colors and all. He thanked me but never credited me for "his" update.
Attachments
19 EvilGrins.png
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:02 pm .. it's weird you have to take it from another map and there's not a .u file for this.
You could make one :P

You can use that method for putting other actors that are embedded in a map into a different map (there's several test maps on the forum with actors in for people to try out and use in other maps).
EvilGrins wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:02 pm You don't know Smiley?
I had a vague feeling it might be but wasn't sure - I do have it but it's in my Unused folder.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

That is actually a pretty cool thing. You could also mount one of those tv monitors throughout the level to see who in different rooms.

Sort of like a 3D real time score pad instead of just text, I dunno seems like that idea could be exploited for other features in a map, MH-SP stuff.
Binary Space Partitioning
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Just a bit more on DM-HeroStatue110. That indeed was the map in which the script was first embedded - I get the impression it was more a map for showing off the HeroStatue (and for obtaining the actor) rather than a DM map per se.

The BeyondUnreal Wiki says the following
Spoiler
The HeroStatue is a dynamic Decoration by ElBundee. It shows the player who leads the match — or the best player of a given team — or any player in the match — or a player on a given position in the scoreboard... You can define team skins for the statue and effects when the hero changes. Once the hero changes, the statue can play several animations — wave, taunt, ... , too.

Additionally, there's a plaque which shows the name of the hero. Mappers may build their own plaque by using scripted textures, too...

This script initially was thought for the Jailbreak modification, but it can be used for any other gametype.
That's useful if for no other reason than it clarifies what the Default Property PlayerPosition means.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

While it's a super cool addition in maps, this thing would just confuse the heck out of me sometimes lol.

„WTF why is this guy not taking any damage?! I don... oooh it's that scoreboard statue fuuuuuuuuuu....”
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:38 pmwhy is this guy not taking any damage?! I don... oooh it's that scoreboard statue fuuuuuuuuuu....”
Most cases it's not the same size as a normal player, and as it's not holding any weapons that's usually a good clue it's not a player.

What's amusing is maps with UTDMW or UTDMT if they rank highest in points the statue morphs into them too.... which makes it too big to fit on the pedestal.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I've just realised that the Sky Titan map can be played as a Jail Break map, which may be one reason why it has HeroStatues in it.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:59 pmI've just realised that the Sky Titan map can be played as a Jail Break map
There's several versions of it on UnrealArchive, and one is JB.

Also has at least 3 maps, other than the SkyTitan ones, that have HeroStatues on them, for CTF.