Whole lotta flying JETS going on!

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Whole lotta flying JETS going on!

Post by EvilGrins »

A long time back, papercoffee had an idea for a map involving a lot of flying things on which players could have aerial dogfights and while that concept never went anywhere, so far as I know... it stuck with me.
Currently editing a new UTDMW map from an old map that's creator disappeared around 2007. It's a W00t map for CTF, called "Jets in Space", and it has an insane number of Quantum Jets on it. Looks like 2 wedge shaped launch platforms with multiple launch points along there lengths.

My recent discovery of the old Bat-Wings mutator inspired me to take another look at this map, as sometimes a player has to ditch their jet because they're almost out of fuel and if they don't have the means to launch another those wings enable the player to fly to where they can land safely (kinda like a directional parachute) or at least go somewhere to pick up another jet.
This may or may not work for online play by the time I'm done, but thats not usually my priority. I just the things to be fun for players that love flying in their gaming.

Removed a couple weapons that were on the bases that could shoot even an RX down, as I want this to be mostly about dogfights... though I left a couple that can still do that.

There's orbital platforms that have other weapons and more Qjets in-between the bases, I'm thinking of leaving those as they are.
Mostly thinking of changing the jets on the bases.

Currently have 1 Warlord assigned to each base, may chage that later, but what I need to know about is other jets I can place on this. At the moment I've got an RX version 8, RoseBum's Flying Saucer, and the Bat Wings.
What other jets are available?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Whole lotta flying JETS going on!

Post by OjitroC »

This is what I have - just searching the System folder looking for .u files with Jet in the name.

JetBootsv133.u - "JetBoots. Travel and jump up to 5 times normal speed. Fly too!" Not idea what they are like - didn't know I had them until now!

JetReplace.u - with GhandiGuidedJetFighter.

JetReplaceF.u/JetReplaceG.u - later version of the above with more Ghandi Jet Fighters in different colours.

Jets.u - more Ghandi Jet Fighters plus loads of other stuff (weapons, etc).

Plus other versions of RX which may have other stuff in them - haven't looked at these.

[Note - see this thread viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13171 in case of problems with the Ghandi Jets - there's a link that thread to EK_map_pack which has a GhandiJet and to TehGhandiPack which has loads of stuff made by him]

_____________________________UPDATE _______________________________________
Oh yeah and of course - AirfightUT.u - loads of flying stuff in that - haven't really tried it much so don't know what it is like or how well it works.

NemesisWINGSvXb/NemesisWINGSvXdxs/NemesisX/NemesisXFWingsV2 - several versions of similar stuff
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

The QuantumJets on the map are the originals that ZenCoder made , they're stable.
OjitroC wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:12 pmAirfightUT.u - loads of flying stuff in that - haven't really tried it much so don't know what it is like or how well it works.
In the 2013 thread papercoffee made a good point that AirFight is too big, that .u has too many other files it's dependent on.

Trying to go for more compact little things.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

My Idea at this time was to have dogfights in space but player and bots would start as (or in) a jet and doesn't have to pick one up to fly it at all.
The map I planned was supposed to have zero gravity ...that means when you are out of fuel you are a sitting duck. And jumping out of the jet wouldn't be an option.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:17 amMy Idea at this time was to have dogfights in space but player and bots would start as (or in) a jet and doesn't have to pick one up to fly it at all.
This map has plenty of room for dogfights, though so far I've only been able to practice those against a Warlord which can't fly quite as fast. It can keep up with the wings and the Qjet but not the flying saucer.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

There is a bunch of flying vehicles in my google drive (including X-wings and weird UFOs)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... jRQdUEzMWs
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Thanks Flay...
Dr.Flay wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:19 amThere is a bunch of flying vehicles in my google drive
...I'll take a look at those.

So yes, the Bat-Wings do team colors... or at least red & blue so far. Doesn't matter how the egg is configured, just matters what team you're on... pick up a red egg while on the blue team and you still get blue wings.

Curious side-effects from using RoseBum's Flying Saucer: First off, for the rest of that game everything has a slightly green haze.

That and you're apparently sometimes stuck being invisible... which isn't the worst thing but it's not entirely fair. Although, ONLY you are invisible. Anything you're carrying can still be seen.
Attachments
Shot0057.png