CTF-UTDMW-BW-BOTL

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

CTF-UTDMW-BW-BOTL

Post by EvilGrins »

Since I did an edit of CTF with 2 space stations with multiple flying vehicles, including bat-wings, been getting a number of bat-wing related requests. So, here...
Personally I'm not a huge fan of woot maps. While I like the occasional jump-pad I really don't enjoy them being the primary means of getting around, although they're kinda fun to watch when bots play them and there's UTDMW on the map. Nothing stops the easy bouncing around so much as something flying directly in thir path. Although in this case there's not too many jump-pads, I like playing in here; it's more of a general pet-peeve.

I added 1 Warlord to each team and each base has one egg (2nd level, outside near the middle). Once you've got an egg you can fly by hitting whatever key you've got setup for crouching A LOT, though using the jump-pads for extra thrust can make your flights a lot faster.

Frankly I felt the bat-wings were necessary long before I even knew they were available. There's a bridge on this map that the uppermost part is impossible to reach without them, unless you're a Warlord...
...as there's power-up items and a redeemer up there.
Usual Suspects:
.u - /system
.unr - /maps
.utx - /textures
.png - Pwetty

Enjoy!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/mjigeayoz ... W-BOTL.zip
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: CTF-UTDMW-BW-BOTL

Post by sektor2111 »

It could be easily contain in name string "AGAINST_Bots" mapping... I don't think I need to explain more why...
But I'll summarize:
- missing AlternatePaths = The same route for carrier;
- only Human Being has access at top area with redeemer = CHEATING against Bots happily encouraged by The Bots lover;
- the rest of data is a pathing errors common spam show.

Reaction: Held Shift and pressed DEL key. There is no reason to keep these anymore.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:08 pm There is no reason to keep these anymore.
Oh, I don't know - it's a bit of fun not to be taken too seriously - not a map to play if one wants a long, even battle against bots certainly but an entertaining map to be played once in a while, as is the case with most W00t maps.

GIven the layout of the map there is not much scope for AlternatePaths but, I suppose, that's part of the point. The map can be easily dominated by a couple of good snipers (should one wish to do that rather than go w00ting) so it may be more difficult than it would seem to get access to the redeemer (not that anyone would know it was there if they hadn't looked in the editor or read this thread).
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I dunno...
sektor2111 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:08 pmonly Human Being has access at top area with redeemer = CHEATING against Bots happily encouraged by The Bots lover
...from what I've seen, instances where bots use the wings they tend to go places regardless of the pathing. Either just flying around or doing dogfights with Warlords, they can get up there.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

EvilGrins wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:18 pm Either just flying around or doing dogfights with Warlords, they can get up there.
Those are accidents and they won't move anywhere because no path heads there and neither out there.

To not forget the thingy. Warlord is a "copy-paste" coding at once with all spam and lousy codes from UTDMT - nothing changed, not even code's comments.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:43 pmThose are accidents and they won't move anywhere because no path heads there and neither out there.
That's part of the fun though, surely? Those happy accidents that happen sometimes and make the game and the map a bit less predictable and a bit more enjoyable :P
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I've unpacked map back for showing you some Sektor CTF style in maps without anything than ONE ROUTE.
Veeeery unpredictable, no wonder - I don't think you play CTF or something different... At medium Bot Skill, I can sit here all day long with SniperRifle at The Right ramp entrance turned with back at other Left Entrance, nothing kills me - not even by accident - while I can kill ALL of them, including Loque, Tamerlane, Xan... Everyone. If you ask about ammo, I get everything from those happily murdered while they are turned at Warlords or whatever threat from outside. Even glass is helping because you can predict when you need firing a shock-ball for nice combo out of sight.
Defence0.png
Defence1.png
As you see... I Always Win :pfff: . I don't even care about Warlords or whatever. The lack of AlternatePaths is more than obvious. In this difficulty, map is ZERO challenge. Usually it takes 8-10 minutes to gain score and only try keeping advantage. I don't even need any Redeemer. I think in 2020 I know how to do predictions in CTF so if it's about Bot pathing it would be better to have real Bot Pathing not just nodes spread in guessing style or else you can forget paths because I don't see the difficulty here.
And then... map has bugger stuff also as a second measure against Bots. Alarik left the game temporary because he got busy to make love with some wall like an Angel of Love perverting wall.
SexyWall.png
This should be implemented in other sexy games, I'm not sure if that "Item" it's for CTF-Bot.

Edit: Chess piece - EVERY single TeamTrigger used is being set for Team 0 - so Team Zero should have a bit of visibility protection against Blue Snipers...
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:35 pm At medium Bot Skill, I can sit here all day long with SniperRifle at The Right ramp entrance turned with back at other Left Entrance, nothing kills me - not even by accident - while I can kill ALL of them ..

Yeah, that's what I said.

Of course it depends how one wants to play the map. Like I said I don't think it's meant to be taken too seriously - it has obvious limitations but is fun for a while, once in a while. Adding WarLords in spices it up a bit and sniping airborne bots can be entertaining, so it's a fun map rather than one which is going to give anybody a serious, balanced challenge. Improving the pathing isn't going to radically alter that.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

The scenario would be changed if they would attack from the Left Side of base too and coming through window and -Playing- all time instead of having sex with walls. Excuse me but when my team is not helping I don't see any fun anywhere.

Anyway this is another example about "How Not to Do" PathNodes is ramps - here are not used because are not on the way else not all of those are helpful being similar to PathNode112 from CTF-Command. If you are coming with maps done like that after 20 years of UT do not expect me to clap hands at such trash navigation. After all this time I though that we have learned how to do some Pre-Settings before to start adding "Big Skaarj" PathNodes for "Small Bots". These "Pre-Settings" are faster with MapGarbage which also can be adjusted after needs. Whoever feels comfortable I have nothing against playing it, but not me and I've let you know why these UTDMx for me are a default NO.