crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
darksonny
Adept
Posts: 293
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:24 pm

crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by darksonny » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:52 pm

hi all
I downloaded the mappack called dm-prison complex with a bunch of this map made as variations in size, weapons placement etc...When I try to play them in about few seconds it "crashes" silentiously (no error dialog) and I saw the log for ut99 and it appear blank I tried every map and crashed the same behaviour. I tried to install clean ut and I got same results. I tried to contact author to notice him this odd crash but in his readme does not have any email to get in touch. How could I play these maps? its a crash/bug or could be driver dll or ...? I tried latest d3driver and opengl same results.

User avatar
OjitroC
Godlike
Posts: 1880
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by OjitroC » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:29 pm

I think the variations in the prison complex maps are more do with the music used rather than anything else, so each version has different music.

You need to use ALAudio otherwise they will crash at or near startup. I had a curious crash in one particular place in the first one he posted on UnrealArchive, which wasn't due to the audio. I can't run them in 469 as I can't use the new ALAudio with that - however I have played at least one of them in 436 with ALAudio, so they do run.

It would be nice if he made a non EFX version as even with ALAudio I don't notice much in terms of 'different' sound - plus ALAudio with 436 spams the log with loads of errror messages - TBH I'm not even sure that the EFX work my version of ALAudio anyway.

The other thing with those maps is the file size - due partly to 20+ screenshots at 1MB+ each, which seems excessive and not all that useful really.

Having said all that, 'they' (there's only one really) are certainly interesting and fun to play - an extended version of the original which I don't think was called Prison Complex but which I remember well.

darksonny
Adept
Posts: 293
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:24 pm

Re: crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by darksonny » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:24 pm

Hi!
Where can I get that audio driver? I though it was deprecated or so...mmm
okay i got from there:
https://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2 ... 1399614690

It did not work same crash...

"
It would be nice if he made a non EFX version as even with ALAudio I don't notice much in terms of 'different' sound - plus ALAudio with 436 spams the log with loads of errror messages - TBH I'm not even sure that the EFX work my version of ALAudio anyway.
"
that would be nice...No email no contact way

User avatar
OjitroC
Godlike
Posts: 1880
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by OjitroC » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:16 am

darksonny wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:24 pm
It did not work same crash...

No email no contact way
Odd that it still crashes - still nothing in the log? What version of UT99 are you using? Have you tried with another version? So it crashes whatever renderer or audio driver you use?

He is on GitHub - don't know if it is possible to contact him through that.

darksonny
Adept
Posts: 293
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:24 pm

Re: crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by darksonny » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:04 pm

yes stil crashes, im using ver 436 and clean install, I tried xopengl last version, opengl 3.7 and directx 9 and 11, ut.log is empty. Installed the alaudio i got same results. Where is his github?

User avatar
OjitroC
Godlike
Posts: 1880
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by OjitroC » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:43 am

darksonny wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:04 pm
yes stil crashes, im using ver 436 and clean install, I tried xopengl last version, opengl 3.7 and directx 9 and 11, ut.log is empty. Installed the alaudio i got same results. Where is his github?
That's really weird - for me it (Prison Complex (EFX) v1 and Prison Complex (EFX ControlII)) does run in 436/451 with D3D9 and ALAudio (though I had one odd crash with what looks like some kind of conflict with NW3 so there's something 'off' in the map).

Perhaps it is a silly suggestion but I wondered if you open it in the Editor and it throws an error, you might get more info on the source of the problem.

I've seen the name Zero Khan in the GitHub 'thread' for bug reports on the 469 patch - I don't think it is possible to contact someone through GitHub but you can have a look and see.

Red_Fist
Godlike
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:31 am

Re: crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by Red_Fist » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:34 am

"Perhaps it is a silly suggestion but I wondered if you open it in the Editor and it throws an error, you might get more info on the source of the problem."

Is what I was going to say.
Binary Space Partitioning

User avatar
sektor2111
Godlike
Posts: 4884
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: On the roof.

Re: crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by sektor2111 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:06 pm

It's EFXZoneInfo actors. These are reacting using natives from AlAudio as zone explains

Code: Select all

// ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
// QueryEffects - UnrealScript-C++ glue magic.
//
// AlAudio now just calls QueryEffects() on the ViewActor Zone's ZoneInfo.
// So you just need to have a  QueryEffects() event in your ZoneInfo to support
// EFX. All what matters is this event, and the correct ordering and size
// of EReverbPreset/EFXEffects, all properties of this class are just arbitrary
// conveniance setttings for mappers, they are just used by QueryEffects().
// EFXEffects.Version should be also set to 1, and is intended if the interface
// of EFXEffects changes (not likely to happen). Info.Version is set by ALAudio
// to the maximum EFXEffects interface version supported.
// ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now... if your system has some AlAudio problems (for various reasons), C++ won't do Accessed None spam in logs, it crashes or it even locks down system.
Let me guess, you are using 469a... :| or... an obsolete AlAudio version.
I'm using Galaxy and 440, map runs fine - it's beautiful but I do have some show in map-switch process:

Code: Select all

Critical: glxUnloadSample( (glxSample*)Sound->Handle )
Critical: UGalaxyAudioSubsystem::UnregisterSound
Critical: USound::Destroy
Critical: UObject::ConditionalDestroy
Critical: (Sound UnrealShare.General.Explg02)
Critical: DispatchDestroy
Critical: (12755: Sound UnrealShare.General.Explg02)
Critical: DispatchDestroys
Critical: UObject::PurgeGarbage
Critical: UObject::StaticExit
Critical: appPreExit
Else... I killed more times Tamerlane because he was busy to defend nothing...

User avatar
OjitroC
Godlike
Posts: 1880
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by OjitroC » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:39 pm

sektor2111 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:06 pm
Let me guess, you are using 469a... :| or... an obsolete AlAudio version.
I'm using Galaxy and 440, map runs fine - it's beautiful but I do have some show in map-switch process:
As the OP has said, he is using 436 and the latest ALAudio.

I can't get it to run with Galaxy and 436.

The EFXZoneInfo actors seem to be the defaults except for the reverb which is different for different zones - not that I seem to hear much difference.

Can you do a version without the reliance on EFZoneInfos and ALAudio - I did try but couldn't get it to run?

-------------EDIT-----------------
As a matter of interest, these are the crashes I get :

436/Galaxy/OpenGL
Spoiler
Show
Critical: UOpenGLRenderDevice::DrawTile
Critical: UCanvas::DrawTile
Critical: UCanvas::execDrawTile
Critical: (ChallengeHUD DM-Prison_Complex_(EFX)_v1.ChallengeHUD0 @ Function Botpack.ChallengeHUD.DrawSpeechArea : 021A)
Critical: UObject::ProcessEvent
Critical: (MMTFemale1 DM-Prison_Complex_(EFX)_v1.MMTFemale0, Function Engine.PlayerPawn.PostRender)
Critical: UGameEngine::Draw
Critical: UWindowsViewport::Repaint
Critical: UWindowsClient::Tick
Critical: ClientTick
Critical: UGameEngine::Tick
Critical: UpdateWorld
Critical: MainLoop
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
Exit: UGalaxyAudioSubsystem::ShutdownAfterError
Log: DirectDraw End Mode
Exit: UOpenGLRenderDevice::ShutdownAfterError
Exit: Exiting.
451/OpenGLor D3D9/Galaxy
Spoiler
Show
Critical: appError called:
Critical: Assertion failed: Playing.Channel [File:G:\dev\nacput\Utpg_451\Galaxy\Src\UnGalaxy.cpp] [Line: 1250]
Critical: Windows GetLastError: Success. (0)
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
Exit: UGalaxyAudioSubsystem::ShutdownAfterError
Log: DirectDraw End Mode
Exit: UD3D9RenderDevice::ShutdownAfterError
Critical: StartSample
Critical: UpdateSounds
Critical: UGalaxyAudioSubsystem::Update
Critical: UGameEngine::Draw
Critical: UWindowsViewport::Repaint
Critical: UWindowsClient::Tick
Critical: ClientTick
Critical: UGameEngine::Tick
Critical: UpdateWorld
Critical: MainLoop
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
Exit: UGalaxyAudioSubsystem::ShutdownAfterError
Log: DirectDraw End Mode
Exit: UOpenGLRenderDevice::ShutdownAfterError
Exit: Exiting.
469b/Galaxy/D3D9
Spoiler
Show
Critical: appError called:
Critical: Assertion failed: Playing.Channel [File:UnGalaxy.cpp] [Line: 1331]
Critical: Windows GetLastError: Success. (0)
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
Critical: UGalaxyAudioSubsystem::ShutdownAfterError
Exit: Double fault in object ShutdownAfterError
Exit: UD3D9RenderDevice::ShutdownAfterError
Critical: StartSample
Critical: UpdateSounds
Critical: UGalaxyAudioSubsystem::Update
Critical: UGameEngine::Draw
Critical: UWindowsViewport::Repaint
Critical: UWindowsClient::Tick
Critical: ClientTick
Critical: UGameEngine::Tick
Critical: UpdateWorld
Critical: MainLoop
Exit: Exiting.
I can only run it in 451 with ALAudio.

User avatar
sektor2111
Godlike
Posts: 4884
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: On the roof.

Re: crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by sektor2111 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:14 am

So there is another 469b "isolated" version which will come up with troubles when a more wide range of users will use it ?
Good to know...

Okay, doesn't matter... I'll try to figure all relations with AlAudio... but if it's about zones, map would need a "rebuild" which can be a problem if it's not build as with original settings for those sliders... Any change at zones and whatever is concerning structure would need a rebuild as far as I know...

In conclusion: Once again great stuff goes useless due to C++ fantasies in making poorly written drivers... I'll try to figure if at least one of them can be recovered...

Edit: More lolzing - I tried to listed whatever song from one of maps - it's trash, it doesn't work not even in VLC. I'm not surprised about audio crashes - here I believe the stupid Music is guilty for audio crashes not really sound effects - or both of them are useless...

darksonny
Adept
Posts: 293
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:24 pm

Re: crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by darksonny » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:05 pm

OjitroC wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:39 pm
sektor2111 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:06 pm
Let me guess, you are using 469a... :| or... an obsolete AlAudio version.
I'm using Galaxy and 440, map runs fine - it's beautiful but I do have some show in map-switch process:
As the OP has said, he is using 436 and the latest ALAudio.

I can't get it to run with Galaxy and 436.

The EFXZoneInfo actors seem to be the defaults except for the reverb which is different for different zones - not that I seem to hear much difference.

Can you do a version without the reliance on EFZoneInfos and ALAudio - I did try but couldn't get it to run?

-------------EDIT-----------------
As a matter of interest, these are the crashes I get :

436/Galaxy/OpenGL
Spoiler
Show
Critical: UOpenGLRenderDevice::DrawTile
Critical: UCanvas::DrawTile
Critical: UCanvas::execDrawTile
Critical: (ChallengeHUD DM-Prison_Complex_(EFX)_v1.ChallengeHUD0 @ Function Botpack.ChallengeHUD.DrawSpeechArea : 021A)
Critical: UObject::ProcessEvent
Critical: (MMTFemale1 DM-Prison_Complex_(EFX)_v1.MMTFemale0, Function Engine.PlayerPawn.PostRender)
Critical: UGameEngine::Draw
Critical: UWindowsViewport::Repaint
Critical: UWindowsClient::Tick
Critical: ClientTick
Critical: UGameEngine::Tick
Critical: UpdateWorld
Critical: MainLoop
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
Exit: UGalaxyAudioSubsystem::ShutdownAfterError
Log: DirectDraw End Mode
Exit: UOpenGLRenderDevice::ShutdownAfterError
Exit: Exiting.
451/OpenGLor D3D9/Galaxy
Spoiler
Show
Critical: appError called:
Critical: Assertion failed: Playing.Channel [File:G:\dev\nacput\Utpg_451\Galaxy\Src\UnGalaxy.cpp] [Line: 1250]
Critical: Windows GetLastError: Success. (0)
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
Exit: UGalaxyAudioSubsystem::ShutdownAfterError
Log: DirectDraw End Mode
Exit: UD3D9RenderDevice::ShutdownAfterError
Critical: StartSample
Critical: UpdateSounds
Critical: UGalaxyAudioSubsystem::Update
Critical: UGameEngine::Draw
Critical: UWindowsViewport::Repaint
Critical: UWindowsClient::Tick
Critical: ClientTick
Critical: UGameEngine::Tick
Critical: UpdateWorld
Critical: MainLoop
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
Exit: UGalaxyAudioSubsystem::ShutdownAfterError
Log: DirectDraw End Mode
Exit: UOpenGLRenderDevice::ShutdownAfterError
Exit: Exiting.
469b/Galaxy/D3D9
Spoiler
Show
Critical: appError called:
Critical: Assertion failed: Playing.Channel [File:UnGalaxy.cpp] [Line: 1331]
Critical: Windows GetLastError: Success. (0)
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
Critical: UGalaxyAudioSubsystem::ShutdownAfterError
Exit: Double fault in object ShutdownAfterError
Exit: UD3D9RenderDevice::ShutdownAfterError
Critical: StartSample
Critical: UpdateSounds
Critical: UGalaxyAudioSubsystem::Update
Critical: UGameEngine::Draw
Critical: UWindowsViewport::Repaint
Critical: UWindowsClient::Tick
Critical: ClientTick
Critical: UGameEngine::Tick
Critical: UpdateWorld
Critical: MainLoop
Exit: Exiting.
I can only run it in 451 with ALAudio.
Well, I gave up trying to play them I tried all ways except 451 that curiously I could play those maps, I wonder what the hell author could not provide (if any solution could be acchieved) any email. By the way do you know what is the url github? I will try noticing him about this issue

User avatar
OjitroC
Godlike
Posts: 1880
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by OjitroC » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:16 pm

sektor2111 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:14 am
Edit: More lolzing - I tried to listed whatever song from one of maps - it's trash, it doesn't work not even in VLC. I'm not surprised about audio crashes - here I believe the stupid Music is guilty for audio crashes not really sound effects - or both of them are useless...
That's odd - I can play all the music files (5 of them) in UEd 2.2 (469b).
darksonny wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:05 pm
By the way do you know what is the url github? I will try noticing him about this issue
He contributes to this thread https://github.com/OldUnreal/UnrealTour ... hes/issues.

User avatar
sektor2111
Godlike
Posts: 4884
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: On the roof.

Re: crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by sektor2111 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:35 pm

If music won't run in 436 then for me it's useless. That's not what player needs.

As I expected, there are also pathing bugs, more manual work won't be too much doable as long as those MyLevel textures are getting screwed up in 227h-i for some "improvement" reasons exactly as in UT with sound/music files. Community looks like it's working harder to make these useless - good to know.
This old computer which I'm using I think it won't run any of these newer fascinating "updates" and "fixes" - I'm refusing to install them. I wasted the whole day for getting nowhere. Each map would need its own UT version for being played right now ? That will be the way of working in UT for 2021 ?

And then, maybe 469b runs music in Editor but map it's still crashing... yeah, good news no wonder. For the record, VLC media player is running all STOCK UMX music and other UMX music files just fine - including what I produced (one music file, lol), except these ALIEN umx files, definitely something is not okay at them disregarding their usage in 469b. Plain player has nothing.
I'll bet on 10$ that map will be fine without EFX aliens and that umx trash I mean "music", and of course, deleting impossible paths and causing VALID ROUTES AT REDEEMER using everything: ImpactHammer, UT_JumpBoots and Translocator; and for other combos as well + removing "node-near-node" stupidity.
Last edited by sektor2111 on Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Delacroix
Skilled
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Personal rank: UMS R&D CEO

Re: crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by Delacroix » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:08 pm

Agreed. The music should be converted for the legacy players. In the early stages of patch development at least. Once 90% of the playerbase moves to 469, THEN we can talk about disregarding. But until then, packages need to be fixed.

User avatar
OjitroC
Godlike
Posts: 1880
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by OjitroC » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:21 pm

sektor2111 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:35 pm
If music won't run in 436 then for me it's useless. That's not what player needs.
I agree entirely. The music doesn't run in 436 Editor with Galaxy and in consequence, along with the various other problems, the maps are useless for general play. They can only be played if one hits on the right combination of UT version, renderer and audio driver.
Delacroix wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:08 pm
Agreed. The music should be converted for the legacy players. In the early stages of patch development at least. Once 90% of the playerbase moves to 469, THEN we can talk about disregarding. But until then, packages need to be fixed.
But it's not just the music that's the problem - the use of EFX causes errors as well and there are render issues as indicated by my crash logs.