crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by sektor2111 »

OjitroC wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:21 pm and there are render issues as indicated by my crash logs
And then... which means that textures have "bytes" too... 227 definitely did not love them at all...
Edit:
Map which I tested/touched was set against network play. I restored settings and played a bit On-Line... Meh... this is not stable at all, it looks like these will need a total CleanUp and I think don't really worth 100+ MB... it needs more "players" and it looks boring, out of game flow... with all camping spots removed...
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I took the music out and played Prison Complex (EFX) v1 for more than ten minutes in 469b with Galaxy and didn't get the crash I had previously (which is not to say that I might not get one if I played for longer but the previous crash happened fairly soon after starting the map).
sektor2111 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:39 pm ... it looks boring, out of game flow... with all camping spots removed...
No, it wouldn't suit everybody's style of gameplay, and it would need a lot of players for there to be plenty of action, but it's fine for me, stealthily and slowly hunting down monsters.

------------------- Edit ----------------------------
Having played the above map again, I got a crash on the lowest floor (the basement basically) which is where I think the other crashes have occurred. I changed the preset reverb sound in the EFXZoneInfo in that area to something which seems to have worked elsewhere (LargeFactoryFloor I think) and removed the ambient sound, which is the sound for the five fans (ventilators). The ventilator.wav seems, to me anyway, to have too high a sample rate and it's in stereo.

After doing this, I played the map again - particularly in the basement and didn't have any problems. More play testing will reveal whether this is a solution to the problem or not; particularly trying it in 436 with Galaxy.

In passing, I thought that EFXZoneInfo was supposed to work whether or not one has EFX.u or ALAudio (work in the sense that if one's set up is capable of playing the EFX sound then fine; if one's set up can't play it, then the map runs OK anyway) - that it should be compatible will all audio drivers?
anth
Adept

Post by anth »

I noticed this thread earlier and thought I'd try out this map. I didn't have a lot of time to look into this but I immediately noticed the map imports a ton of textures, enough to fill up all of the 2Gigs of available memory if I install the HD texture packs. When all available memory has been allocated, there are indeed a couple of places in the engine where you can get crashes (e.g., in Galaxy, OpenGLDrv, and even the UScript processing code in Core). Ideally, we should go into some graceful degradation mode when memory allocations start failing. The crash has nothing to do with a lack of EFX support in other audio drivers.

If you want to get this fixed, I suggest reaching out to the map author as well as creating a GitHub issue here: https://github.com/OldUnreal/UnrealTour ... hes/issues

It is much easier for us to follow up on bug reports if you file them on GitHub. Keep in mind that people are reporting tons of bugs via emails, tweets, private messages on Discord/IRC/forums, posts on various forums, hate letters, Molotov cocktails, and postal pigeons. A lot of these reports inevitably get drowned out by the noise on their communication channels.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

anth wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:19 am enough to fill up all of the 2Gigs of available memory if I install the HD texture packs. When all available memory has been allocated, there are indeed a couple of places in the engine where you can get crashes (e.g., in Galaxy, OpenGLDrv, and even the UScript processing code in Core).
Hey, rjmno1... Did you asked me some months ago about doing some 4096 textures when I was bug-posting feed-back for those "HIRES" files (you got tired of my posting in that time and bla bla bla bow wow ) - perhaps now it's clear (even for you) why these are NOT A GOOD idea in any way - especially when map is BIG contributing directly at full filling memory and crashing game. UT USES 2GB because it's on 32 bits. In other hand, I tried to add more memory to a 32 bit system machine - IT DID NOT EVEN START. Aham, hi-res textures, good luck with them... but they might work in a cube :ironic: .
OjitroC wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:18 am Having played the above map again, I got a crash on the lowest floor (the basement basically) which is where I think the other crashes have occurred. I changed
Oops, another memory loader with trash, I think fan sound can be replaced with this one
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13406#p122777
and map won't explode and it's very similar being no reason to mess drivers like that...

As additional information, map is a D3D crusher as long as textures used for ScreenShoots don't include too many mipmaps. UT469a doesn't seems capable to fix these - but others have been fixed. I'm not sure if other textures won't need to be redone/reimported in NORMAL WAY - and it works properly with paths reduced at 1621 reachSpecs without ammo charged in network... because I used the bugged XCv21 PathsBuilder having range option set at 705 and building them a single time (multiple times is causing multiple InventorySpots...) moving nodes for not creating paths through BlockAll... :omfg: .
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

This makes the case for making the engine unload the high res texture data from the system memory once it's been pushed into GPU memory.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

anth wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:19 am ... I immediately noticed the map imports a ton of textures, enough to fill up all of the 2Gigs of available memory if I install the HD texture packs. When all available memory has been allocated, there are indeed a couple of places in the engine where you can get crashes (e.g., in Galaxy, OpenGLDrv, and even the UScript processing code in Core)... The crash has nothing to do with a lack of EFX support in other audio drivers.
Yes, I see. So the textures are enough to use up all the available memory even if one doesn't use HD textures (which I don't)?
anth wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:19 am If you want to get this fixed, I suggest reaching out to the map author as well as creating a GitHub issue
I did think of creating a GItHub issue but, since crashes happen in three versions of UT, I thought that they are a map specific issue rather than being to do with 469b. I can certainly create an issue at GitHub if it's considered appropriate. It's not that relevant but there is no contact info for the author (despite saying that the map can only be altered after receiving written permission from the author!).

I looked at the textures in UEd 2.2 - some of them can't be exported as .PCX and I'm not sure why that is.

I'm curious about how the map is built - this shows the perspective view in the Editor
Prisoncomplex.jpg
Prisoncomplex.jpg (128.86 KiB) Viewed 367 times
There are a number of enormous brushes extending vertically from the playable area (the coloured area at the bottom) - these brushes aren't visible of course from the map. I don't think I've seen this kind of thing before - is this a normal way to build a map?

This is the use of textures view - it appears to show that those brushes are textured?
Prisoncomplex1.jpg
Another, possibly interesting, thing is that one can ghost out of the sides of the map but not out the top - ghosting from the top results in death (something else I haven't come across AFAIK).
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

OjitroC wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:21 pm I don't think I've seen this kind of thing before - is this a normal way to build a map?
Nope it isn't ...
WTH are those structures for? Skybox?

Those huge builds are bigger as the map, slanted and even textured... they'll cut the BSPs in a very strange way.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

OjitroC wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:21 pm ghosting from the top results in death (something else I haven't come across AFAIK).
CloudZone... as usual... it can be switched to another damaging zone - Why would destroy spectators ? Oh well...
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

papercoffee wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:44 pm WTH are those structures for? Skybox?
Could be a skybox though possibly that extends from the top of the playable, coloured part of the map upto the horizontal brush.
sektor2111 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:46 pm CloudZone... as usual... it can be switched to another damaging zone - Why would destroy spectators ? Oh well...
Of course, didn't think of that and didn't check it in the map.
anth
Adept

Post by anth »

After looking into this some more, this is starting to look more like a Galaxy problem and less than a memory limitation problem. Without HD weapon skins/mods, the map only consumes a few 100 megs of memory, but it still crashes with Galaxy.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Agree... in other hand by getting rid of "no play music in VLC" and that uber fan sound I can play map multiple times off-line, on-line in the way I want.
Does it worth wasting time for producing borked assets when map is beautiful and it's running fine with original methods ?
anth
Adept

Post by anth »

The sound was not borked, but Galaxy had a heap corruption bug that triggered when it mixed a stereo sound with a mono sound. This resulted in random crashes. The next 469b snapshot will have a fix for this. If the author wants to restore compatibility with 436-469a Galaxy, DM-Prison_Complex_(EFX)_v1.Sounds.Ventilator should be converted into a mono sound.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

anth wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:16 pm ... heap corruption bug that triggered when it mixed a stereo sound with a mono sound...
And then... it's UT, but... as my personal opinion toward a sudden "stereo" affinity I think it would be much better having multiple AmbientSounds (or none ambientsound but lights making sounds) having different frequencies a little bit loved, easy and bug-free... Eh ?

Anyway... D3D render has no business here :| .
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:02 pm Agree... in other hand by getting rid of "no play music in VLC" and that uber fan sound I can play map multiple times off-line, on-line in the way I want.
Does it worth wasting time for producing borked assets when map is beautiful and it's running fine with original methods ?
Yes, removing the music and the stereo fan sound, together with changing some of the EFX reverb sounds, eliminates the problems with Galaxy. However the map can't really be said to run fine - it only works with certain set-ups. It doesn't work with OpenGL (mostly) - here's my results after 'testing' :

436/OpenGL/Galaxy - Flickering textures/freeze with truncated log and so errors not reported.

451/D3D9/ALAudio - runs OK

451/OpenGL/ALAudio - crash with this in the log
Spoiler
Log: URender::DrawWorld anomaly
Critical: glTexSubImage2D
Critical: UOpenGLRenderDevice::SetTexture
Critical: UOpenGLRenderDevice::RenderPassesExec
Critical: UOpenGLRenderDevice::DrawComplexSurface
Critical: URender::DrawFrame
Critical: UOpenGLRenderDevice::DrawGouraudPolygon
Critical: RenderSubsurface
Critical: URender::DrawLodMesh
Critical: (LodMesh NaliChronicles.skaarjrlthird)
Critical: DrawMesh
Critical: URender::DrawActorSprite
Critical: URender::DrawFrame
Critical: UOpenGLRenderDevice::DrawTile
Critical: UCanvas::DrawTile
Critical: UCanvas::execDrawTile
Critical: (ChallengeHUD DM-Prison_Complex_(EFX)_v1.ChallengeHUD0 @ Function Botpack.ChallengeHUD.DrawSpeechArea : 021A)
Critical: UObject::ProcessEvent
Critical: (MMRumiko DM-Prison_Complex_(EFX)_v1.MMRumiko0, Function Engine.PlayerPawn.PostRender)
Critical: UGameEngine::Draw
Critical: UWindowsViewport::Repaint
Critical: UWindowsClient::Tick
Critical: ClientTick
Critical: UGameEngine::Tick
Critical: UpdateWorld
Critical: MainLoop
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
451/OpenGL/Galaxy - Flickering textures/freeze with truncated log and so errors not reported.

451/D3D9/Galaxy - runs OK.

469b/D3D9/Galaxy - runs OK.

469b/OpenGL/Galaxy - runs OK.

A pity that it is of limited use, as it were, since it's an entertaining map. Seems that it is best run with D3D9 or above and with ALAudio. To run it with Galaxy the sounds noted above need to be removed or altered.
Zero_khan
Average

Post by Zero_khan »

Hi there

The new version contains the suffix 469_436

(436-compatible). No EFX, no custom sound, no custom music. All removed. The other versions still have custom music and sound.

The zip contains a folder "PNG Source" with all the original logos and art.

Goldeneye Source OST has all music in mp3 format. Since UT can't play mp3 I converted to ogg with quality set to 7/10.

There are 50 zoneinfo + cloudzone + skybox, yet the stats count 57 zones. There are some ghost zones that I can't find. It was going well over 63 zones before for some reason, with dozens and dozens of zones created inside pillars, girders and other stuff.

Inside the cloudzone there are lightactors way up there.

This map is designed for TDM and more than 10 players.
Good Bye. I'm leaving UT99 behind. I won't be around for UT's 30th.