crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
User avatar
OjitroC
Godlike
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by OjitroC » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:41 pm

Zero_khan wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:18 pm
Hi there

The new version contains the suffix 469_436

(436-compatible). No EFX, no custom sound, no custom music. All removed. The other versions still have custom music and sound.
Hi - great map, nicely designed and laid out - really fun to play. I remember the earlier, smaller version but can't remember the name now?

Nice to see a version that is compatible with 436 (where is it? On UnrealArchive?).

Any ideas on what causes the OpenGL crashes?

darksonny
Adept
Posts: 307
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:24 pm

Re: crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by darksonny » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:24 pm

OjitroC wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:41 pm
Zero_khan wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:18 pm
Hi there

The new version contains the suffix 469_436

(436-compatible). No EFX, no custom sound, no custom music. All removed. The other versions still have custom music and sound.
Hi - great map, nicely designed and laid out - really fun to play. I remember the earlier, smaller version but can't remember the name now?

Nice to see a version that is compatible with 436 (where is it? On UnrealArchive?).

Any ideas on what causes the OpenGL crashes?
here is it
https://www.moddb.com/games/unreal-tour ... on-complex

Thanks zero_khan!

User avatar
OjitroC
Godlike
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by OjitroC » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:40 pm

darksonny wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:24 pm
here is it
Thanks for that :tu:
Zero_khan wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:18 pm
The new version contains the suffix 469_436

(436-compatible). No EFX, no custom sound, no custom music. All removed. The other versions still have custom music and sound.
The 436 version with OpenGL still throws the horrible flickering textures and freeze - from the log

Code: Select all

Log: URender::DrawWorld anomaly
Critical: UOpenGLRenderDevice::SetTexture
Critical: UOpenGLRenderDevice::RenderPassesExec
Critical: UOpenGLRenderDevice::DrawComplexSurface
Critical: URender::DrawFrame

User avatar
Zero_khan
Average
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:54 pm

Re: crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by Zero_khan » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:04 pm

The only thing that could possible cause the RENDER to crash are the textures. They are all very high resolution PNGs. The other one is just the default lightbox skin that I exported and then change the color's hue, imported back as 8-bits PCX.

Unless there is a hidden HOM or some broken geometry. Other than that, all logos and art are sheets placed at 1 unit in front of walls.
Good Bye. I'm leaving UT99 behind. I won't be around for UT's 30th.

User avatar
OjitroC
Godlike
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by OjitroC » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:14 pm

Zero_khan wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:04 pm
The only thing that could possible cause the RENDER to crash are the textures. They are all very high resolution PNGs.
All the textures?

Just got the same OpenGL crash in 451.

User avatar
Delacroix
Skilled
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Personal rank: UMS R&D CEO

Re: crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by Delacroix » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:38 pm

Are the textures myleveled?

User avatar
OjitroC
Godlike
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by OjitroC » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:01 pm

Delacroix wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:38 pm
Are the textures myleveled?
No, it's mainly the logos/art that are myleveled - the logos are mostly 1024x1024 PB (8 Mips) + BC2 (8 Mips) or 2048x512. The wall, floor etc texyures are in the main SGTech1, UTTech1 and XTortion.

User avatar
Zero_khan
Average
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:54 pm

Re: crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by Zero_khan » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:59 pm

Try now. Replaced all DXT textures with PCX 8bits. The map file is 57% smaller. The only difference is that up very close you see how aliased the edges are.

If this doesn't solve it. I bet it's z-buffer related, because the decoration sheets are 1 unit away from walls and this could mean z-buffer fights.

If your GPU has low z-buffer precision, the only way to solve this is by remaking the walls themselves to have the decoration painted over the texture itself.
Last edited by Zero_khan on Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good Bye. I'm leaving UT99 behind. I won't be around for UT's 30th.

Red_Fist
Godlike
Posts: 1850
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:31 am

Re: crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by Red_Fist » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:35 am

I had to move sheets away from wall by 4 units so they didn't get chopped up, on another map. And happens farther away not up close.
Binary Space Partitioning

User avatar
OjitroC
Godlike
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by OjitroC » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:59 am

Zero_khan wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:59 pm
Try now. Replaced all DXT textures with PCX 8bits. The map file is 57% smaller. The only difference is that up very close you see how aliased the edges are.

If this doesn't solve it. I bet it's z-buffer related, because the decoration sheets are 1 unit away from walls and this could mean z-buffer fights.

If your GPU has low z-buffer precision, the only way to solve this is by remaking the walls themselves to have the decoration painted over the texture itself.
No, I still get the same freeze/crash with OpenGL in 435 and 451.

Oh well, at least the map runs in 469 and in other UT versions with D3D9.

User avatar
Zero_khan
Average
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:54 pm

Re: crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by Zero_khan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:13 am

Well, there is another suspect. High shadow detail used on all walls, floors, ceiling. Maybe 436 cannot handle huge lightmaps?

You can check this yourself. Select all surfaces, uncheck high shadow detail. Rebuild lights only.
Good Bye. I'm leaving UT99 behind. I won't be around for UT's 30th.

User avatar
OjitroC
Godlike
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by OjitroC » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:44 am

Zero_khan wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:13 am
Well, there is another suspect. High shadow detail used on all walls, floors, ceiling. Maybe 436 cannot handle huge lightmaps?

You can check this yourself. Select all surfaces, uncheck high shadow detail. Rebuild lights only.
No luck there - did what you suggest but the same freeze - textures flicker a little and the player just stops, can't move - a skaarj trooper within view was still moving but the skin had gone. Nothing in the log.

User avatar
Zero_khan
Average
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:54 pm

Re: crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by Zero_khan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:35 am

I'm beginning to suspect that it's memory related. All PCXs add up to 23 MB, even if you multiply by 10, it's still very far from 1 GB. Did you try running the map with textures set to low?

Try this test version. All high resolution textures deleted, making the filesize very small.

I run this map with 436 and no crashes. The only suspect left is RAM. I have 8 GB and GPU has 2 GB.
Last edited by Zero_khan on Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good Bye. I'm leaving UT99 behind. I won't be around for UT's 30th.

User avatar
OjitroC
Godlike
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by OjitroC » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:59 am

Zero_khan wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:35 am
Try this test version. All high resolution textures deleted, making the filesize very small.
Thanks for your efforts. I tried this version but it froze again. However I think I have identified the source of the crash - it seems to be a combination of the map, OpenGL and Nali Weapons (I suspected that might be the case before but the latest crash confirms it). I have a Skaarj Trooper armed with Nali Weapons' FlameTracker and the crash happened when it spawned in front of me. This crash hasn't happened before as I've played many maps with this SkT in 436/451/469 and played some of those maps with OpenGL.

So my conclusion is, as I say, that it is a combination of something in the map, OpenGL (as the crashes in this map don't happen with D3D9) and the NW FlameTracker (the other thing is that this SkT has an HD skin so this could be a factor as well - when the SkT spawned the skin disappeared. I think the NW FlameTracker spawns hands as well so perhaps this conflicts with the HD skin). I'll try the map without that Skaarj Trooper and see what happens.

Since this crash only happens with OpenGL in 436/451 and not with D3D9 nor in 469 with OpenGL, the 436 compatible version of the map can run in a variety of set-ups.

User avatar
Zero_khan
Average
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:54 pm

Re: crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by Zero_khan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:28 pm

There are some spots here and there that the bots are retar**. They keep running back and forth in circles or just can't jump over a stair step.
Last edited by Zero_khan on Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Good Bye. I'm leaving UT99 behind. I won't be around for UT's 30th.