crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Higor
Godlike

Re: crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by Higor »

Looks like I'll have to take a look at it, it'd be a waste to lose high res textures due to size constraints.
Zero_khan
Average

Post by Zero_khan »

deleted the attachment to avoid spreading a test version. Crashes were related to audio, not graphics.
Good Bye. I'm leaving UT99 behind. I won't be around for UT's 30th.
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Also, I noticed squares on the walls without textures...
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I think I have identified the source of my crashes in DM-Prison_Complex_(436-compatible).unr. The crash seems to be related to models with skins from the UnrealHD_Full_v3 pack (rather than Nali Weapons as I thought before).

A number of my scriptedpawns have skins from that pack - in my last game in this map, one spawned in front of me without a skin and surrounding textures started to flicker and then the game froze. The log is truncated with no error lines.

Perhaps I simply don't have enough 'video' memory to play a map with hi-res textures/logos and HD skins - I have not had a similar crash in other maps and have used the models/scriptedpawns with HD skins a lot recently in quite a few maps.
Zero_khan
Average

Post by Zero_khan »

I was able to block unwanted paths by cheating. Build walls to block paths, rebuild. Delete walls, rebuild but don't rebuild paths. I was finally able to make the bots go for the mega health by cheating. I placed an invisible cube and there is an invisible block all in the same spot help bots jump and reach the path. With the same cheat I forced bots to see a path over the masked texture. Except that the bots notice that there is no solid floor brush and they just jump, thinking it's a hole on the ground. Bots also see through the texture, disregarding that you can't fire through it.

Added some hammer jump spots here and there. Deleted more pathnodes to simplify.
Some minor texture alignment.
Stupid subtracted brush cutting solids
BlockAll to prevent players from jumping into the cloudzone

Tested with two bots. At some point one bot was camping while the other was running in circles around the map, following the same route and picking up the same items. With more bots this likely will never happen.

Left a txt in the zip containing brushes that I placed to block paths. It was the only way to prevent nodes from connecting at the edges of stairs, which dumb bots would try to cross but with no brain to jump over a single stair step.
Last edited by Zero_khan on Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

How about someone fix the archive first, my version of win-rar and 7zip only extract zero byte files. It shows them and the sizes but only zero bytes.
Binary Space Partitioning
Zero_khan
Average

Post by Zero_khan »

file isn't corrupted.

PS:Just noticed that the archive was compressed with the SOLID option. Reuploaded with non solid.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Ok it still did it in win rar, but 7 zip worked.

Map crashed with galaxy I think it said line 1230

I rebuilt map, same problem

Then I just deleted the ambient sound actors, map played, didn't crash.

It's pretty much a new stock install, I also loaded EFX in the editor and each test was played through editor. I ALWAYS use openGL, D3D sucks so bad, every version for UT since time began.

I had no bots on the map.

DevAudio: Galaxy SetViewport: NULL
Log: Closed viewport
Log: Missing name
Log: appRequestExit(0)
Critical: appError called:
Critical: Assertion failed: OwnerWindow [File:..\..\Window\Inc\Window.h] [Line: 1433]
Critical: Windows GetLastError: The operation completed successfully. (0)
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: UGalaxyAudioSubsystem::ShutdownAfterError
Warning: glxStopOutput() failed: 6
Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
Log: DirectDraw End Mode
Critical: WCodeFrame::OnDestroy
Critical: WM_DESTROY
Critical: WWindow::WndProc
Critical: WWindow::StaticProc
Exit: Preparing to exit.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

This looks distinctly odd
Shot0000.jpg
Still get OpenGL crashes in DM-Prison_Complex_(436-galaxyaudio).unr with 436/451 - player skating and then a freeze, with no error lines in the log - this time with no HD skins in view.
Red_Fist wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:11 am I ALWAYS use openGL, D3D sucks so bad, every version for UT since time began.

DevAudio: Galaxy SetViewport: NULL
Log: appRequestExit(0)
Critical: appError called:
Critical: Assertion failed: OwnerWindow [File:..\..\Window\Inc\Window.h] [Line: 1433]
Critical: Windows GetLastError: The operation completed successfully. (0)
Warning: glxStopOutput() failed: 6
Critical: WCodeFrame::OnDestroy
Critical: WM_DESTROY
Critical: WWindow::WndProc
Critical: WWindow::StaticProc
Exit: Preparing to exit.
Interesting how preferences differ - I prefer D3D9 - OpenGL in 469 is particularly bad and, in general, OpenGL for me seems darker and kind of muddy.

That crash log indicates an Editor crash - it happens a lot in 436/451 - you don't notice it as it happens when the Editor shuts down.
Zero_khan
Average

Post by Zero_khan »

If the map doesn't crash with the default game, but does crash when using a mod, it's the mod that is crashing.

(436-galaxyaudio) means no custom music, no custom sound and no DXT textures.

- Deleted some pathnodes
- Deleted some defense points
- Rearrenged some player starts
- Blocked more pathnodes
- Minor texture change, purple teleport in the lowest level
Last edited by Zero_khan on Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

It's really odd but I still get a crash with OpenGL even when using no mutators or anything else.
Spoiler
Critical: UOpenGLRenderDevice::DrawTile
Critical: UCanvas::DrawTile
Critical: UCanvas::execDrawTile
Critical: (ChallengeHUD DM-Prison_Complex_(436-galaxyaudio).ChallengeHUD0 @ Function Botpack.ChallengeHUD.DrawWeapons : 0AF4)
Critical: UObject::ProcessEvent
Critical: (TFemale1 DM-Prison_Complex_(436-galaxyaudio).TFemale2, Function Engine.PlayerPawn.PostRender)
Critical: UGameEngine::Draw
Critical: UWindowsViewport::Repaint
Critical: UWindowsClient::Tick
Critical: ClientTick
Critical: UGameEngine::Tick
Critical: UpdateWorld
Critical: MainLoop
Exit: UOpenGLRenderDevice::ShutdownAfterError
Exit: Exiting.
Still, at least I can play the map in 451 or 469 with D3D9.
Zero_khan
Average

Post by Zero_khan »

Last edited by Zero_khan on Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

When it crashed it went right back to the editor, the editor stayed solid working.

I use opnenGL (it's like 3 versions down I think), not the last version that the guy who made all those. with nvidia win7pro 64bit. my res is 1280 by 1024. 75hz. Also I use the high res textures from the second disk GOTY.
Ever since D3D one thing that has happened probably back to win98 was it takes forever for the game to quit from the editor, or if I alt tab, and that has been every version with several vid cards back to 3DFX days.

Also D3D always looks the blacks are too black and the whites are too white, pasty looking and fake, like more cartoonish with solid colors. (other games as well). openGL has a very nice look and you can adjust with the gamma spread in the ini as darkest blacks and whites or all washed out looking if you want, and also runs the game much better for frame rates and I never get crashes.
Zero_khan
Average

Post by Zero_khan »

Deleted some more pathnodes and simplified more paths. I'm already at the limit of deleting pathnodes.

I have no idea why D3D9 runs the map but OpenGL crashes. It must be the GPU or the graphics driver. I have never seen a map that only crashes under OpenGL but runs with D3D9.

I can run this map even with the outdated opengl driver from 436.

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... Weapons%22
https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... CAw&uact=5
https://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2 ... 1242334928

https://unrealarchive.org/patches-updat ... index.html This log mentions Draw Complex Surface error and OpenGL

There must be some OpenGL's changelog that explains the crashes.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Idk, once deleted audio buggers for me map had no problems when I was using D3D9 and playing it On-line multiple times.
Zero_khan wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:23 am Deleted some more pathnodes and simplified more paths. I'm already at the limit of deleting pathnodes.
You might let me know how many reachSpecs are you having. A bad placement of PathNodes will generate more reachSpecs to process it's not only about number of PathNodes in processing routes.
I was intended to throw map in U227 for manual corrections... but what that thing does to textures from MyLevel overrides all my understanding. Such a saved map from U227 is trash in all ways - thank you guys, for your U227 funky stuff... Then, I switched method using XCv21 PathsBuilder with a configurable range and using 705 - no connections over 705 distance getting rid of long jumper buggers and moving them for a minimal number of reachSpecs. Of course I excepted ammo from being in account - there are already weapons around. Result was 1589 reachSpecs. Here if NewNet fans are wanting I can solve their Teleporter problems but it will need some more manual work as long as I cannot use U227-UG227. Other spots doing bad connections can be solved with combos or blind custom teleporters, etc. but... I would like to take control manually instead of letting automated scripts to do their blind lolzers.
See this Manual Work:
I'm hoping than we will have some newer similar UT features here - they are really needed...