crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Zero_khan
Average

Re: crash in mappack dm-prison complex

Post by Zero_khan »

I'm beginning to belive that it can't be lack of RAM the cause of crashes. A 1024 x 1024 texture, compressed with DXT, is about 1 ~ 1.5 MB. Multiply by 10 or 20 textures and it's about 15 ~ 30 MB. Even an old Geforce 2 with 64MB would still have enough ram. Uncompressed as 24 bits TGA is 2x the filesize, which would add up to 60 MB, still very far from filling up an old video card with 128 MB.

Blocked as many extra paths as possible. I don't belive in the progress bar. It counts way beyond 5000+ reachspecs.
Last edited by Zero_khan on Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good Bye. I'm leaving UT99 behind. I won't be around for UT's 30th.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Zero_khan wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:35 pm I'm beginning to belive that it can't be lack of RAM the cause of crashes. A 1024 x 1024 texture, compressed with DXT, is about 1 ~ 1.5 MB. Multiply by 10 or 20 textures and it's about 15 ~ 30 MB. Even an old Geforce 2 with 64MB would still have enough ram. Uncompressed as 24 bits TGA is 2x the filesize, which would add up to 60 MB, still very far from filling up an old video card with 128 MB.

Blocked as many extra paths as possible. I don't belive in the progress bar. It counts way beyond 5000+ reachspecs.
Crash is something to do with OpenGL but what I have no idea - not worth worrying about as it runs with D3D9 in 451 and with anything in 469 (for me anyway).

Yesterday's version from ModDB - sektor's MapGarbage tool reports

Code: Select all

NumReachSpecs: This map has 1383 ReachSpecs shown as direct paths in Navigation Network.
NumReachSpecs: Also this map has 724 ReachSpecs as shortcuts aka PrunedPaths in Navigation Network.
NumReachSpecs: These are not visible in Editor but they are used by Pawns.
NumReachSpecs: After calculation we have 2107 ReachSpecs.
NumReachSpecs: It looks like map has a normal reachspecs charge for UE1. Greetings !
So if you now have more than 5K ReachSpecs they have increased dramatically.
Zero_khan
Average

Post by Zero_khan »

The progress bar must be counting something else. It went up to 8000+ reachspecs. However, the log window has a line saying "added xxx reachspecs" that counts much fewer reachspecs. It seems that by blocking a lot of paths the filesize was reduced by ~0.5 MB. The jumpspots should be better placed now, with bots not failing to hammer jump. (Pretty sure the progress bar is wrong. Using paths undefine command shows "removed 1811 reachspecs").

I'm restoring DXT textures to the galaxy version. The crash was caused by the sound effect and galaxy being unable to play ogg music. Fan sound effect converted to mono and downsampled to 8 bits. Reduced wav size to 1/4. For such sound there isn't much to worry about being high quality.

Dumb me. I totally forgot about groups. There was no need to keep brushes used to block pathnodes in a text file. I could have added all of them to a group and just hide them during rebuild.

Noticed that the teleporter radius was too small. It was possible to hit the wall behind the portal if you happen to go in very close to the sides

Simplified paths even further.
Good Bye. I'm leaving UT99 behind. I won't be around for UT's 30th.