I am not requesting to get this map fixed...

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

I am not requesting to get this map fixed...

Post by EvilGrins »

...but I would like someone to explain to me why this happens.

The map in question is this one · https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... c5b74.html

Not unique to this one map, I've seen this periodically, largely when I'm looking a map over in spectator mode. Sometimes triggered by my going too high or passing through a wall when gradually and then overwhelmingly this somewhat pretty but disastrous display kicks up. The map doesn't actually crash but it does slow everything down to such an extent it basically locks UT in place.

Have to reboot to get out of it, more often than not.

Any ideas?
Attachments
Shot0185.png
Shot0184.png
Shot0183.png
Shot0182.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: I am not requesting to get this map fixed...

Post by OjitroC »

I've just tried that in 469 with the D3D9 - I flew up as high as possible and didn't get the glitches you've seen though the rocket and the area around it did flicker in and out. So possibly the map has a high poly count (or at least from certain points one 'sees' a high poly count)?

Are you using D3D or D3D9 when you get these glitches? Have you tried it with another renderer like OpenGL?

For some reason I no longer remember I've only got the 'network' version of this - perhaps because there were visual problems with other versions, I don't know.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

All Jeff Martin maps are not meant to be played... they were just proof of concept thingies.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

papercoffee wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:25 am All Jeff Martin maps are not meant to be played... they were just proof of concept thingies.
This map is certainly meant to be played - that's clear from the readme and I've played it many times in the past without any problems. Because of the overall design (a recreation or reimagining of a location from the film), the gameplay is somewhat unbalanced for a DM (some areas are little used and flow around the map is limited) but, apart from that, there are no other drawbacks. For a time I certainly found it fun to play as it suits my style of play and what I play (Monster Spawn).

I used the network version as it doesn't have the sentry (sentry.u).
Delacroix
Adept
Personal rank: UMS R&D CEO

Post by Delacroix »

papercoffee wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:25 am All Jeff Martin maps are not meant to be played... they were just proof of concept thingies.
Same with NW3 Ultima Protoss explosion on highest detail. Or SilenTShadoW's maps. Only now, with 469 do we have a HUGE performance boost on those. With all due respect, 469 will change the landscape of modding by completely blowing up the array of possibilities of what can be done in U1/UT99 modding.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I wouldn't call J's maps proof of concept, but more like unfinished and a bit rough around the edges.
Playability is good once pathed better. I spent many hours in some of his maps.
However as I mainly play the maps rather than watch, I never had a problem with going slow or locking up.

Fixability is a problem with most of J's maps though as he usually deleted the brushes before the final save, so no BSP rebuilding can be done.
Many of his maps I repathed and improved with suitable decos and wildlife.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Evilgrins, what render were you using when you play this map? Sometime error might come up in ut.log too.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

"I am not requesting to get this map fixed..."
Yes you are................................................. :wink:
Binary Space Partitioning