Windows 10 RUINS Everything

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
makemeunreal
Masterful

Windows 10 RUINS Everything

Post by makemeunreal »

My new laptop shipped with a pre-installed W10 PRO and given the fact that it is a 2020 dec gaming laptop my friend told me not to install W7 on it.

Since then, EVERY single stuff I had no problem with on my 2016 Acer Aspire (Win7) keeps FREAKIN' out including Unreal and the Editor as well. Not to mention OBS, and pretty much everything.

I am like literally furious right now.

The recent stupid behavior this piece of shit is that it keeps moving, like snapping the camera whenever I simply highlight (click) into another viewport...
It moves the camera whenever I zoom in a viewport... It's UNUSABLE.
So, right now it's impossible for me to use the editor....
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

MERGE

I open the editor.

In the top viewport, I see the camera's direction to point straight left.
I click into the 3D viewport (don't move the mouse, just click) and the direction of the camera in the TOP viewport rotates 180'.
Every other click in the 3d viewport make the camera move on it's own to that direction. (Without ofc, moving the mouse)

@Hellkeeper

Man, 2 days of pain... I hate it.

Everything is broken. Just everything.

SteadZ
Average
Personal rank: 1337

Re: Windows 10 RUINS Everything

Post by SteadZ »

I'm still using my win7 laptop for mapping because of this reason lol. The newest version of 227j fixes the mouse issue apparently though - could be worth asking Smirf to get in on beta testing the patch?
"The problem with dreams is... you never know when you're gonna wake up"

darksonny
Adept

Post by darksonny »

makemeunreal wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:46 am My new laptop shipped with a pre-installed W10 PRO and given the fact that it is a 2020 dec gaming laptop my friend told me not to install W7 on it.

Since then, EVERY single stuff I had no problem with on my 2016 Acer Aspire (Win7) keeps FREAKIN' out including Unreal and the Editor as well. Not to mention OBS, and pretty much everything.

I am like literally furious right now.

The recent stupid behavior this piece of shit is that it keeps moving, like snapping the camera whenever I simply highlight (click) into another viewport...
It moves the camera whenever I zoom in a viewport... It's UNUSABLE.
So, right now it's impossible for me to use the editor....
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

MERGE

I open the editor.

In the top viewport, I see the camera's direction to point straight left.
I click into the 3D viewport (don't move the mouse, just click) and the direction of the camera in the TOP viewport rotates 180'.
Every other click in the 3d viewport make the camera move on it's own to that direction. (Without ofc, moving the mouse)

@Hellkeeper

Man, 2 days of pain... I hate it.

Everything is broken. Just everything.

what about using win 7 in a virtual machine? and then installing ut on it? this could help you to solve this issue?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I have Windows 10 and no problems.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

well, this might not be too helpful -but- I just got a Ryzen 8-core based system, windows 10 pro retail v20H2, UT99 works fine, except for the continuing issue of F11 no longer working. I have a 2x27 monitor setup on this machine, 1 Samsung + 1 benQ. UEd2 seems to works flawlessly on the Samsung, which is higher quality. The BenQ, this has issues. Specifically, the mouse "group selection" sometimes inverts on release, which is annoying. Mouse drag movement within the viewport is also off. As if the point you think you are "grabbing" is off to the side a bit. Quite noticeable when zooming in and out. Highlight a vertex, zoom in and the focus moves off to one side - also very annoying. The Samsung monitor has no issues what so ever. So, maybe not windows 10's fault, perhaps drivers, or refresh rate, or resolution setting?
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

It is UT build 436? I remember installing 451 on my client, which makes a terrible mess of the editor, not realising at the time that it's a server orientated update.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Have you changed the windowed renderer to match the one you are using to play ?
The default renderer for windows elements and UEd is the old DX7 renderer.

Also make sure you have run the DirectX 9 installer at some point so you have full support for older modes.
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

set DPI scaling to 100%, old applications often don't scale properly and it messes up their coordinate calculations
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

"old applications often don't scale properly"

correction

Modern window version, often don't scale properly.

Win 10 is not an OS it's a cell phone installed on a PC. :thudown:
Binary Space Partitioning