CTF-FSW-Hotel-FreakShow2021Beta

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

CTF-FSW-Hotel-FreakShow2021Beta

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

Hello All,
I have turn my DM map in to a CTF map. Give it a run see how it plays. I have the ambient lights up to 20. I will turn down in final version once I figure out where to add additional lighting. I've named it a beta version so that way after sektor2111 tears it apart and I make corrections I can get rid of the beta.
http://dxfxhouse.com/maps/CTF-FSW-Hotel ... 21Beta.zip
https://dxfxhouse.com/maps/FSW-PainKiller.zip
Last edited by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx on Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: CTF-FSW-Hotel-FreakShow2021Beta

Post by sektor2111 »

[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:23 am I've named it a beta version so that way after sektor2111 tears it apart and I make corrections I can get rid of the beta.
Cannot do anything yet...

Code: Select all

Log: New File, Existing Package (Package MyLevel, Package CTF-FSW-Hotel-FreakShow2021Beta)
Warning: Failed to load 'FSW-PainKiller': Can't find file for package 'FSW-PainKiller'
Warning: Failed to load 'D:\Editor\UnrealTournament\Maps\CTF-FSW-Hotel-FreakShow2021Beta.unr': Can't find file for package 'FSW-PainKiller'
Warning: Failed loading package: Can't find file for package 'FSW-PainKiller'
Warning: Failed loading package: Can't find file for package 'FSW-PainKiller'
File "FSW-PainKiller" it's not stock, else if you don't want to share it you could MyLevel it...

Edit: Okay I kidnapped that file from elsewhere - it was Music.
I have some question signs such as: If we do have PathNodes and then Bot Support, why Bots should not have access at items like miniguns from those armchairs ?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Several vampire shots, 1 shot of The Crow.

Love to take a look at it after that missing package is provided.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I see you did a lot of the FSW maps :gj: . I'm not quite sure what FSW means/meant?

A quick play of both versions of the map indicates the significant difference - the DM is low gravity and the CTF is not. It seems to me that the map is designed to be a low gravity map given the difficulty of getting to some of the locations where there are weapons and pickups. It's going to be more complicated to set up the CTF map as a non-LG map given the need to access those locations - an example is the SuperHealth in the water basin which is unreachable with a translocator or, similarly, the areas where the flames are which have miniguns - in fact there is no means of knowing that there is anything there to pickup without flying up to have a look. TBH, it's more fun as a LG map in my view.

The music, along with the DM version of the map, can be found here dm-fsw-hotel-freakshow.

An aside - there's also an Unreal version of this map, named DMHotelCalifornia, imported from UT by RUSH - I seem to have a modified version of this that works in UT - notable for an interesting and unusual teleporter texture.

---------------- UPDATE -------------------
Using the default LowGravity mutator and with AirControl set high, the dimensions of the CTF map are such that it is possible to jump/float onto the low table or the reception desk and then from there on to those raised central areas where there are pickups.
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

Hello All,
The music file is added to the original post. And I agree I need to add Low Gravity back to the map. I always test with Low Gravity enabled that's why I missed it I will get that completed once I get all the feed back. That's why its a beta version. I'm glad to hear someone stole my map and named it DMHotelCalifornia
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Just a couple of things to check as noted by sektor's MapGarbage tool
Spoiler
UnReachableNodes: InventorySpot0 looks much over ground for normal Human Size, check it.
UnReachableNodes: InventorySpot3 looks much over ground for normal Human Size, check it.

NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot18 is not having incoming connections.
NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot169 is not having incoming connections.
NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot256 is not having incoming connections.
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

I will check those spots, but there will be unreachable spots for bots in this map. It was definitely made for LowG/Aspeed/155 AC/55% and a translocator. That's how we ran our GM servers back in the day.
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

OjitroC wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:11 am I see you did a lot of the FSW maps :gj: . I'm not quite sure what FSW means/meant?

A quick play of both versions of the map indicates the significant difference - the DM is low gravity and the CTF is not. It seems to me that the map is designed to be a low gravity map given the difficulty of getting to some of the locations where there are weapons and pickups. It's going to be more complicated to set up the CTF map as a non-LG map given the need to access those locations - an example is the SuperHealth in the water basin which is unreachable with a translocator or, similarly, the areas where the flames are which have miniguns - in fact there is no means of knowing that there is anything there to pickup without flying up to have a look. TBH, it's more fun as a LG map in my view.

The music, along with the DM version of the map, can be found here dm-fsw-hotel-freakshow.

An aside - there's also an Unreal version of this map, named DMHotelCalifornia, imported from UT by RUSH - I seem to have a modified version of this that works in UT - notable for an interesting and unusual teleporter texture.

---------------- UPDATE -------------------
Using the default LowGravity mutator and with AirControl set high, the dimensions of the CTF map are such that it is possible to jump/float onto the low table or the reception desk and then from there on to those raised central areas where there are pickups.
Hello OjitroC,
FSW stands for FreakShow Clan
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

I'm trying to add the music track to MyLevel and it doesn't seem to be working not real sure what I'm doing wrong here? When I go into the game nothing is playing.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Have you tried it with a separate UMX file? Is there any good reason to integrate the music into the map instead of delivering it as a separate UMX file? I also would try to use another name for the embedded music resource as there may already exist a file or another object in map with that name.

EDIT: Also the minus "-" in the name may cause a problem.
Last edited by Barbie on Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I can't say I know anything about music in UT .. but looking at your screenshot of the music browser on the left and comparing it to what I see when I open a number of .umx files - it doesn't seem that the contents of your .umx is being 'read' - normally where yours indicates 'umx' next to the file size, one would expect to see the format of the song in the umx, like ogg or it.

If I open FSW-PainKiller in the MusicBrowser in my UEd it shows [it - 3946.4kb] - a slight difference in the file size. So maybe it's not imported correctly? Maybe it's corrupted? What do you get if you export it from the umx using the music browser and try to play the file in the exported format?
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

I think I have the music issue sorted out. Please rename your FSW-PainKiller.umx to FSW-PainKiller1.umx that way the map won't try and pull that file. If it still needs that file the map won't load. I have it working on my side let see if it works for you?
http://dxfxhouse.com/maps/CTF-FSW-Hotel ... 1Beta1.zip
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:05 pm I think I have the music issue sorted out. Please rename your FSW-PainKiller.umx to FSW-PainKiller1.umx that way the map won't try and pull that file. If it still needs that file the map won't load. I have it working on my side let see if it works for you?
Yes, the map and the music work fine in-game and in the editor. The LG is really fun.

The only problem with the renaming the FSW-PainKiller.umx is that the DM version of the map won't run anymore.

It's probably better just to stick with the separate .umx file rather than putting it in MyLevel.

---------------------- UPDATE ---------------------
There appears to be no need to rename FSW-PainKiller.umx. I tried both maps (the DM version and the CTF version) in game and in the Editor with the music file named FSW-PainKiller and both maps work fine with the music playing - the music from both maps plays OK in the MusicBrowser in the Editor as well.

So the music in MyLevel is fine - no problem with that.
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

Yeah, you only needed to rename it to test that the ctf map would run without being dependent on FSW-PainKiller.umx file. You can name it back.
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

Here is the latest version of the map. I have replaced almost every texture in the map. I use the W11 driver when playing and building and testing my maps. I have added a couple of kickers, so I had to add the swJumpPad.u to my zip file. I cannot figure out how to add a .u to MyLevel. I'm just not as smart as everyone around here but I enjoy mapping, it takes my mind off of everything that's going on in the world. My technical abilities are what they are so, is the map perfect more than likely not. As far as I know, you shouldn't need the .UMX file anymore to run the map. That should be embedded into the map now.
http://dxfxhouse.com/maps/CTF-FSW-Hotel ... 1Beta2.zip