CTF-Hiekka

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
SkYlInE
Average

CTF-Hiekka

Post by SkYlInE »

Hello everyone,

again i gave it a try to do another CTF map.
This time an egyptian style.

Bot pathing is not perfect (im not a pro at all)

Hope there is someone who will like it.

It can be downloaded here:

https://www.utzone.de/forum/downloads.p ... le&id=4620

maybe i can continue on this one if my son will let me :loool:
TankBeef
Masterful

Re: CTF-Hiekka

Post by TankBeef »

New maps are always welcome. 😁 Nice screenshots, will try it tonight when I get back from work. :tu:
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

SkYlInE wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:42 pm Hello everyone,

again i gave it a try to do another CTF map.
This time an egyptian style.
Hi - I downloaded your map from that site a little while ago - really impressive design. layout and use of textures - it's one of the best egyptian style maps I've seen - really striking I thought :gj:
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

OjitroC wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:10 pm it's one of the best egyptian style maps I've seen
Now I really want to get home :lol2:
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

TankBeef wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:19 pm
OjitroC wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:10 pm it's one of the best egyptian style maps I've seen
Now I really want to get home :lol2:
I hope you think it lives up to that description! I was impressed though - actually just to make it clear, I didn't play it but just wandered around a bit and bounced off the jump pads :P Something very clean and precise about it that I found striking.
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Awesome!!! :rock: Well, it took me a bit to know where the flags were, but I finally managed. :lol2:
Attachments
Shot01424.png
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

· Classic UT music.
· Multiple levels of play.
· ROOF ACCESS!
· Nice open space.
· Bots have slight problems with jump-pads, but at least they're not bouncing up and down forever.

Looks good overall, but I'll take a more thorough look later.

1 thing.

What is this and is it supposed to only be visible from one side?
Attachments
Shot0010.png
Shot0012.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
SkYlInE
Average

Post by SkYlInE »

EvilGrins wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:42 am · Classic UT music.
· Multiple levels of play.
· ROOF ACCESS!
· Nice open space.
· Bots have slight problems with jump-pads, but at least they're not bouncing up and down forever.

Looks good overall, but I'll take a more thorough look later.

1 thing.

What is this and is it supposed to only be visible from one side?
As i said bot pathing is not perfect. They got problems with the jumppads. Maybe swjump could solve this problem but i couldnt find it in the actors.

The glass is a strange thing. When im testing the map in the editor the glass is visible on both sides. In game one side is gone :noidea :???:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

SkYlInE wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:54 am When im testing the map in the editor the glass is visible on both sides.
Tell me more about testing a map in Editor, I'm very curious... Perhaps I missed something in my Editor...
Hiek_Glass.PNG
Hiek_Glass1.PNG
Then... it was The Love.
And after Love
After_Love.PNG
SkYlInE wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:54 am As i said bot pathing is not perfect. They got problems with the jumppads. Maybe swjump could solve this problem but i couldnt find it in the actors.
No worries, there is no "swjump" through stock actors, don't look for it... either way, overcrowded spots can be reduced and those impossible paths fixed - they are not seen often because map has shortest roads else they would make Bot out of game-play, just looping forever.

Summary: Design is great - no kidding. You can do more maps, this is the real UE1 mapping. After fixing small things here and there it might go suitable for any server: for new comers at UT and advanced players. Best regards !
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

SkYlInE wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:54 am As i said bot pathing is not perfect. They got problems with the jumppads. Maybe swjump could solve this problem but i couldnt find it in the actors.
Have a look at http://www.extremew00t.com/jumppad_tutorial.htm for the swjumppads.
Old UT Veteran
Skilled

Post by Old UT Veteran »

sektor2111 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:10 am Tell me more about testing a map in Editor, I'm very curious... Perhaps I missed something in my Editor...
I believe that enabling realtime preview (joystick icon) will cause all zones and translucent surfaces to act as if they are in-game. It also plays sounds and animates textures so you can see them w/o running the game.
Icon appears above the respective viewport window, although its primarily used in conjunction with dynamic lightning window.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Old UT Veteran wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:25 pm
sektor2111 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:10 am Tell me more about testing a map in Editor, I'm very curious... Perhaps I missed something in my Editor...
I believe that enabling realtime preview (joystick icon) will cause all zones and translucent surfaces to act as if they are in-game. It also plays sounds and animates textures so you can see them w/o running the game.
Icon appears above the respective viewport window, although its primarily used in conjunction with dynamic lightning window.
sektor2111 knowes that ;)

But another question.
[rant]
What is it with recent mappers and their aversion against screenshots??
Why do I have to download the file first before I can see something ...That's bogus and bad marketing.
You want others (not only us registered members) to download your maps as well.

So, put some love into your map presentation and add at least one screenshot of your map.
[/rant]
This was meant generally and wasn't related to an individual at all.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Old UT Veteran wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:25 pm I believe that enabling realtime...
...viewport window, although its primarily used in conjunction with dynamic lightning window.
I know that thing and it's exactly what I did... and no, here is about texture settings.
You can try "Two Sided" "Translucent" and "bUnLit" flags for all glass textures (SHIFT+T). Results are in third image. In game and Editor they are the same.
The rest is merging polygons and benefits are seen at "LSTAT" command query.

Kickers: - might need additional assistance specific to KickedClasses "Bot" because Player and Bot are not having the same velocity guiding features. The same kicker won't throw player in the same way as Bot it getting thrown - higher at random or failing bouncing ceiling. Mid Kickers are having a wrong Y velocity, "+" should be "-" and the other one reversal. I have to admit that are needed more tests in game because here Bot is really jumping different and if Bot is thrown properly, player is hitting ledge unable to reach in the good spot, either way player lands perfectly while Bot fails in the most of cases.

Paths: - Nodes nearby an item or another node are useless. I see bOneWayPath settings but... it's guessing based. How do you know linking direction without bDirectional = True ? They are wrong having a plain placement and faith based connections. In this situation these are not helping because other paths are linked over them. They need the logic rotations and... forget LiftExit here, Devs are mooing with navigation COMBOS. All is perfectly operational using a limited "ScanRange" (such as 512), XCv21 builder helps a lot here and all paths are under 2000 specs working like a charm. Bugger useless PlayerStart located at bottom nearby ramp and generating new connections can be deleted leaving 11 for Team 0 and 11 for Team 1. Paths like from JumpSpot2 to LiftExit23 are not having logic navigation directives but are connected - all such paths are impossible paths. Instead of LiftExit types from TOP there can be moved mid point JumpSpot or replaced with TranslocStart, a LiftExit is not for Translocator or another Impact target stuff. JumpSpot4 is not linked because of a typo mistake at LiftTag.

The rest is good design and CTF feeling.
Admin asked - orders executed - here is an a bit animated ScreenShot...
20210423_Hiekka.gif
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:55 pmWhat is it with recent mappers and their aversion against screenshots??
I know, right?

We should have them all flogged!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
SkYlInE
Average

Post by SkYlInE »

EvilGrins wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:22 pm
papercoffee wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:55 pmWhat is it with recent mappers and their aversion against screenshots??
I know, right?

We should have them all flogged!
Usually I am a friend of screenshots, but in this case i was just too lazy i guess as i uploaded screenshots on utzone (sorry for that)
sektor2111 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:58 pm
Old UT Veteran wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:25 pm I believe that enabling realtime...
...viewport window, although its primarily used in conjunction with dynamic lightning window.
I know that thing and it's exactly what I did... and no, here is about texture settings.
You can try "Two Sided" "Translucent" and "bUnLit" flags for all glass textures (SHIFT+T). Results are in third image. In game and Editor they are the same.
The rest is merging polygons and benefits are seen at "LSTAT" command query.

Kickers: - might need additional assistance specific to KickedClasses "Bot" because Player and Bot are not having the same velocity guiding features. The same kicker won't throw player in the same way as Bot it getting thrown - higher at random or failing bouncing ceiling. Mid Kickers are having a wrong Y velocity, "+" should be "-" and the other one reversal. I have to admit that are needed more tests in game because here Bot is really jumping different and if Bot is thrown properly, player is hitting ledge unable to reach in the good spot, either way player lands perfectly while Bot fails in the most of cases.

Paths: - Nodes nearby an item or another node are useless. I see bOneWayPath settings but... it's guessing based. How do you know linking direction without bDirectional = True ? They are wrong having a plain placement and faith based connections. In this situation these are not helping because other paths are linked over them. They need the logic rotations and... forget LiftExit here, Devs are mooing with navigation COMBOS. All is perfectly operational using a limited "ScanRange" (such as 512), XCv21 builder helps a lot here and all paths are under 2000 specs working like a charm. Bugger useless PlayerStart located at bottom nearby ramp and generating new connections can be deleted leaving 11 for Team 0 and 11 for Team 1. Paths like from JumpSpot2 to LiftExit23 are not having logic navigation directives but are connected - all such paths are impossible paths. Instead of LiftExit types from TOP there can be moved mid point JumpSpot or replaced with TranslocStart, a LiftExit is not for Translocator or another Impact target stuff. JumpSpot4 is not linked because of a typo mistake at LiftTag.

The rest is good design and CTF feeling.
Admin asked - orders executed - here is an a bit animated ScreenShot...
20210423_Hiekka.gif

Thank you for the analyse. In fact i really want to try to solve those problems - If possible of course. Any help will be appreciated.

I would be glad If this project got a chance for public servers.
And of course im happy that you like the design as Well.