Shopping Mall Challenge

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
jmartin
Novice

Shopping Mall Challenge

Post by jmartin » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:45 am

Shopping Mall Challenge

So, here's a few files I threw together for public use around the same time I was making "The Abandoned Shopping Mall", the idea being that they are for anyone who has never actually made a map, these could be used as a way to jump-start a map of their own.

http://islandalien.com/unreal/asm/challenge/index.htm

Just add textures, lights and a few player starts.

They are extremely basic modules, but once you start connecting them together they quickly become very large expansive maps.

Funny, I always thought "The Abandoned Shopping Mall" was one of my best maps of the year, yet the simplest map "Bombardment" got the most attention. :shock:

In fact Bombardment was made as an after thought.

It ran on our server back in '99, but was never published on the web site.

Then I saw it languishing on an old CD I had laying around and decided to remake it.

It's so simple, it took longer to write this post than it did to make the map.

BTW, there is also another map by the same name, made in October of 2014 by "Hellraiser", another very simple map, which is basically a few circular elevated islands surrounding an auto turret.

https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... c9252.html

For some reason his name does not appear on the UAO page, but exists in the file's LevelInfo/Author field.

Nice job HR. :tu:

OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Shopping Mall Challenge

Post by OjitroC » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:31 am

jmartin wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:45 am

BTW, there is also another map by the same name, made in October of 2014 by "Hellraiser", another very simple map, which is basically a few circular elevated islands surrounding an auto turret.

For some reason his name does not appear on the UAO page, but exists in the file's LevelInfo/Author field.
I reported that to Shrimp a short while ago and he's checking it out - it appears that the read permissions on the map prevent it being automatically 'read' (or even opened) by Shrimp's package reader.