sketchpads pallet battle map

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
sXs-sketchpad
Experienced

sketchpads pallet battle map

Post by sXs-sketchpad »

hi all im very new to all the mapping side of ut but ive done a couple of maps well ive put together a map with some stuff from other maps
fsb david lightman set me a challenge with a barn he sent me he had the same barn and he asked me to fill it up to see what i could come up with
this is the map i came up with its a bit bit rough around the edges i have put it on my server i just wanted to know what you guys and girls thought of it and what issues it may have thanks.

also im not sure if this post is in the right section hopefully it is

p.s there isnt any bot pathing as im still learning to do some stuff with unreal ed and its on a sniper server so i didnt think it needed it
any questions just let me know
Attachments
sketchpads pallete battle.zip
(9.45 MiB) Downloaded 17 times
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: sketchpads pallet battle map

Post by OjitroC »

It's a nice sniper map - well designed, looks good, everything fits in well, plenty of places to hide/camp - so it looks like a working storage barn and with the various individual touches on the upper level you've created a particular 'place' - well done :gj:

Some comments in no particular order
1 Not quite enough sniper rifles in the map so it's not that easy to find one - if ii's designed to play with a sniper rifle mutator (which the player starts with) then OK but this needs to be noted;
2 Access/movement around the map is OK but could do with more ground level access (teleporters) to the higher levels perhaps;
3 There is a very large empty space between the door and the pallets in front of the loader - personally I would put a few boxes there just to break up that space and provide a bit more cover;
4 Not sure about the placement of some of the health items - some are placed fairly close together and in a line and this looks a bit odd:
5 There's a large number of playerstarts - AFAIK there's a hard limit but I'm not sure that this would actually have an adverse impact - it may just mean some won't be used.

One thing that does need to be looked at - sektor's MapGarbage tool reports

Code: Select all

ZoningChecker: LevelInfo0 and LevelInfo1 share the same zone
ZoningChecker: LevelInfo0 and LevelInfo2 share the same zone
ZoningChecker: LevelInfo1 and LevelInfo2 share the same zone
So there are 3 LevelInfos in the map which are 2 too many.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Nice timbering!

@sektor: so better expand your tool to

if (LevelInfoCount != 1) then :facepalm:
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sXs-sketchpad
Experienced

Post by sXs-sketchpad »

thank you for your feedback i actually forgot about the sniper rifles
yeah your right about the health items im not sure even why i did that
the 3 level info things you have listed im not sure what that sector report code you put in your post means
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sXs-sketchpad wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:53 pm the 3 level info things you have listed im not sure what that sector report code you put in your post means
If you open your map in the Editor and search the actors for the LevelInfo actor, you will see there are 3 LevelInfo actors and there should be only 1 (which includes information/properties like Author, Title, IdealPlayerCount, etc) - you can safely delete LevelInfo1 and LevelInfo2 as LevelInfo0 contains all the relevant information/properties.
sXs-sketchpad
Experienced

Post by sXs-sketchpad »

sorry for being so dumb i dont know how to do that or delete the others i dont need as i say im very new to all this
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sXs-sketchpad wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:24 pm sorry for being so dumb i dont know how to do that or delete the others i dont need as i say im very new to all this
No, you're not dumb - took me a while to work out what to do.

With the map open in the Editor, click on the binoculars button (Search For Actors) at the top in the button menu bar - in the Search for Actors browser that opens, scroll down to LevelInfo1 and double click on it - the camera will move to the actor (though you probably won't see it, I can't) - the actor should be selected though - go up to the top menu bar and left click on Actors - in the drop down menu go down to Delete and click on this. Repeat for LevelInfo2 and then save the map. Exit the map and save again if asked. The 2 LevelInfos should be removed. To check - open another map, then close it and open your map - repeat the process of opening the Search For Actors browser and see if LevelInfo1 and LevelInfo2 are no longer in the map.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Barbie wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:20 pm Nice timbering!

@sektor: so better expand your tool to

if (LevelInfoCount != 1) then :facepalm:
Probably for future this update will be operated, so far I wrote something for checking InventorySpots having invalid Inventories. It's not like a map (another one not this) shows its best state with such practices. Then we can count LevelInfo stuff, either way Uscript replacement for Level Validate will spit something in log. But this is not an emergency as long as it is already reported and pointing the same problem twice perhaps is redundant somehow, I'll think about. Thanks for your insight, as usual Barbie owns stage at details which is more than good. In the same contest perhaps something important would be some "bNetTuning" and "bStaticNetTuning" options for whatever group of actors, they should have settings adjusted for being present in network trying to prevent abusing channels or causing a good replication where is really needed in original but replication does a bit of goofing. That's a random idea I'll stop here for not deviating topic.
sXs-sketchpad
Experienced

Post by sXs-sketchpad »

thank you for that ive done it now i never even noticed the binoculars there before lol
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

sXs-sketchpad wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:55 pm thank you for that ive done it now i never even noticed the binoculars there before lol
You only start noticing things when you start to need them :mrgreen:
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:11 pmYou only start noticing things when you start to need them
Is that how it works?

*clenches eyes shut*
*pause*
*opens eyes*

Hmmmm... no harem. Oh well.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758