Visual Bug With Non-Solid Liquid Zone Texture

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
ANUBITEK
Adept

Visual Bug With Non-Solid Liquid Zone Texture

Post by ANUBITEK »

Not sure what is going on here, so I'll describe what I did. Editing map, only changed the texture of this non-solid sheet brush to a vanilla animated water texture (Liquids.liquid4) then modified some properties:

>Translucent (old property, before edit)
>Two Sided (old)
>High Shadow Detail (new)
>Small Wavy (new)
>Bright Corners (new)
>Portal (old)

Double checked that there aren't two sheets occupying the same space, there aren't. The bug seems to happen when I or a bot fire a rocket, I think it is the particles or the model. What causes this? I'd upload the map, but I need to ask @EvilGrins first.

edit:
image didn't upload
Attachments
Shot00008.png
<<| http://uncodex.ut-files.com/ |>>

Code reference for UGold, UT99, Unreal2, UT2k3, UT3
Additional Beyond Unreal Wiki Links
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Console_Bar
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Exec_commands#Load
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Exec_Directive#Loading_Other_Packages
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Config_Vars_And_.Ini_Files
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:INT_File
Barbie
Godlike

Re: Visual Bug With Non-Solid Liquid Zone Texture

Post by Barbie »

ANUBITEK wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:03 pm I'd upload the map, but I need to ask @EvilGrins first.
You can also remove all unnecessary parts from the map and upload that stub.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Looks like a classic case of a hom caused by a zone portal. Have you tried moving the portal sightly up or down and rebuilding geometry?
You must construct additional pylons.
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

Is the brush blue or green in the editor? I think Hellkeeper is right. Might be a zone portal.

Another thing to check is where that sheet intersects with that ramp. Best to keep those intersections on a unreal grid unit.

I like to have sheets not intersect things although it should be harmless in most cases.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Only checked it so far in spectator mode, but i'm not seeing any visual issues yet.
Attachments
Shot0040.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

TexasGtar wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:41 amIs the brush blue or green in the editor? [...] Might be a zone portal.
A portal is not necessarily green: the left sheet brush is created as we learned via UnrealEd>Menu>Brush>Add Special>Water and has the polyflags of 67108876 (=PF_Translucent|PF_NotSolid|PF_Portal). It looks like that the properties "Portal" and "Translucent" are applied to the surface automatically.
The sheet brush at the right is a normal brush (polyflags=0) but the surface is set manually to "Portal" and "Translucent". The effect for both brushes is the same.
Attachments
GreenBrush.jpg
GreenBrush.unr
(9.87 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

Barbie wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:00 am
TexasGtar wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:41 amIs the brush blue or green in the editor? [...] Might be a zone portal.
A portal is not necessarily green: the left sheet brush is created as we learned via UnrealEd>Menu>Brush>Add Special>Water and has the polyflags of 67108876 (=PF_Translucent|PF_NotSolid|PF_Portal). It looks like that the properties "Portal" and "Translucent" are applied to the surface automatically.
The sheet brush at the right is a normal brush (polyflags=0) but the surface is set manually to "Portal" and "Translucent". The effect for both brushes is the same.
Yes. I kind of remember that now that you are saying it. Makes sense.

I am still guessing that plane of the sheet intersects that ramp angle , off of a unreal unit grid line looking at it from the side. I've had trouble when I make a fancy brush that doesn't have every point on a unreal unit grid. And just a thought. I don't know, a bad guess probably. I'd like to see the view of that intersection in the side view.

Water zones need to "fit" like a jar lid, don't they? Not really intersect or intersect in a off grid way or there could be render issues. (especially with translucent or masked and I think even ?modulate?) But it's just a guess.
I have forgotten about as much as I ever knew about mapping. I still feel the urge to try and help and jog my memory when folks post interesting issues.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

TexasGtar wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:39 am Water zones need to "fit" like a jar lid, don't they? Not really intersect or intersect in a off grid way or there could be render issues. (especially with translucent or masked and I think even ?modulate?) But it's just a guess.
As long as the opening they are in is hermetically sealed by the portal, they can be off grid and go through the walls just fine. You can even make a portal with a combination of several sheets and it will work.
You must construct additional pylons.
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

Hellkeeper wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:45 am
TexasGtar wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:39 am Water zones need to "fit" like a jar lid, don't they? Not really intersect or intersect in a off grid way or there could be render issues. (especially with translucent or masked and I think even ?modulate?) But it's just a guess.
As long as the opening they are in is hermetically sealed by the portal, they can be off grid and go through the walls just fine. You can even make a portal with a combination of several sheets and it will work.
Here is what I was trying to describe.
I know that theoretically it is okay in most cases to make this work. Once you get a more complex map though, I have noticed that if you keep things on grid units, it seem to make maps more stable.
Also you can have a zone sheet that may be on the other side of your map but on same plane as another zone portal causing anomolies with off grid portals and such. I do not know if any of this matters but I just found it best to avoid
when possible things like this. In a more simple map with simple construction you can do this off grid placement with no issues, but for whatever reason, the mpre complicated a build gets, the more issues start to crop up with these
off grid brush intersections.
May have nothing to do with this specific issue going on in his map. Just my observations through the years of mapping.
Attachments
example.jpg