DM-Spy VS Spy

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: DM-Spy VS Spy

Post by EvilGrins » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:58 am

jmartin wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:50 pm
My girlfriend predicted it would take either 5 seconds or 5 days.
I'm better at binary.

So, another thing, the CTF map largely only has effective pathing close to the areas where the flags are. Anywhere else and bots don't wander much from where they spawn in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758

jmartin
Experienced

Post by jmartin » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:41 am

EvilGrins wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:54 am
That j-frame map is begging for an edit! Textures mainly, but also pathing and other stuff.

DM maps and the CTF:
Teleports in the spy bases are weird but interesting, you don't actually change locations when you touch them... you only get there after you let them do.

The target practice dummies were a nice touch.

Signs all around the map are backwards on the opposite side, texture on them needs to be applied to both sides.

Couple spots have no textures at all, showing that moldy-looking default texture.

Thanks EG for the feedback. I value everyone's advice. Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Maybe I can address some of these issues, that will hopefully help a little.

That j-frame map is begging for an edit! Textures mainly, but also pathing and other stuff.

The J-Frame.unr is not a map. It's 3 different sized sample buildings you can use to snap-together your own maps. That's why there are no textures, pickups, etc. I use them a lot in my urban maps to get the most run around space for the least amount of polys.

http://islandalien.com/unreal/spyvsspy/j-frame.unr

Teleports in the spy bases are weird but interesting, you don't actually change locations when you touch them... you only get there after you let them do.

The monitors in the headquarters are actually teleporters zones reduced in size to function as surveillance cameras. Cause it's a 'spy' map. You can still jump though them if you want. They will teleport you to a middle row roof top.

The target practice dummies were a nice touch.
Thanks.

Those were actually a bit tricky to make and took a few tests to get them right. Those are 2D sheets with a masked background. They are black on black with only a few shades difference between.

Then they are intersected and converted to timed movers, (because you can't bump a non solid poly).

They are set on a timer, each one to go off at different intervals.

Kind of like a shooting gallery you would find at a carnival, or the practice range in Men in Black.

They don't do anything if you shoot them, but they help add a degree of live action – animation to what would otherwise be a static map.

Signs all around the map are backwards on the opposite side, texture on them needs to be applied to both sides.

Neon signs are 2D sheets. There is no 'both sides'. They are used in maps to delineate zones and display graphics. Neon signs just like in the real world generally are reversed when viewed from behind and were the perfect application for displaying non solid oversized images like these.

So, another thing, the CTF map largely only has effective pathing close to the areas where the flags are. Anywhere else and bots don't wander much from where they spawn in.
Bot paths are petty much as perfect as you can get. No redundant nodes or marginal access paths (red lines) anywhere in the map. As stated on the web page, bot support is minimal . On my rig, bots perform flawlessly and will mainly stick to the paths between their Player Starts, a few pickups, and the Flag Bases.

I was not inclined to pathnode all of the high rise buildings for obvious reasons. If you have any bot issues, try adjusting the "camping" setting for your individual bots.

Couple spots have no textures at all, showing that moldy-looking default texture.
The guard house texture is not missing. (It's the actual photograph of the Check Point Charlie building).

Maybe try removing any conflicting mods or patches or install a separate pure version of UT to cross reference any issues.

I don't use any mods or patches in most of my maps (unless I make them myself) to insure compatibility.

Let me know if there are still any issues.

More about Spy vs Spy...
http://islandalien.com/unreal/spyvsspy/index.htm

sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:47 am

Camping settings for Bots doesn't have too much to do with the lack of pathing data. Even if Bot is not a camper, when paths are broken Bot won't really move to desired goal. There are tools shared capable to reveal nodes which are BAD placed and are poorly loaded with paths inside their lists. UT 469b it's another PLUS at this point - VISUAL DETAILS.