CTF-Erazor

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
User avatar
EvilGrins
Godlike
Posts: 8240
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:12 pm
Personal rank: God of Fudge
Location: Palo Alto, CA

Re: CTF-Erazor

Post by EvilGrins » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:17 am

SkYlInE wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:19 pm
EvilGrins wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:48 pm
I already had the music, love Mayhem.
True met it first on Monsterhunt, never heard it in CTF tho.
I first heard it on a Deathmatch map ages ago, forget which one. MonsterHunt didn't exist yet, though.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
Image
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758

User avatar
sektor2111
Godlike
Posts: 5513
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: On the roof.

Re: CTF-Erazor

Post by sektor2111 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:27 pm

I have been investigating what happens to those flickering surfaces. I managed to change the texture that flickered over the basic texture. There are doubled polygons and polygons that overlap generating those unstable surfaces. I copied brush in NotePad and deleted polygons having newer texture. Things have been definitely improved - brush went simplified. Now I have to track ceiling surfaces, there are still some issues but floors were more annoying.

User avatar
SkYlInE
Average
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:12 pm

Re: CTF-Erazor

Post by SkYlInE » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:34 pm

sektor2111 wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:27 pm
I have been investigating what happens to those flickering surfaces. I managed to change the texture that flickered over the basic texture. There are doubled polygons and polygons that overlap generating those unstable surfaces. I copied brush in NotePad and deleted polygons having newer texture. Things have been definitely improved - brush went simplified. Now I have to track ceiling surfaces, there are still some issues but floors were more annoying.
Sounds good :gj:

i cant manage working on it atm, maybe it is possible to show me the results if you have finished.
EvilGrins wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:17 am
SkYlInE wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:19 pm
EvilGrins wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:48 pm
I already had the music, love Mayhem.
True met it first on Monsterhunt, never heard it in CTF tho.
I first heard it on a Deathmatch map ages ago, forget which one. MonsterHunt didn't exist yet, though.
Added the Monsterhunt Map you obviously didnt played yet, its nothing special but fun to play.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
sektor2111
Godlike
Posts: 5513
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: On the roof.

Re: CTF-Erazor

Post by sektor2111 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:05 pm

This is what I did still unfinished because it's more data for sorting...
ReducedPolys.PNG
I feel exhausting all this walking through data. Pathing was a piece of cake compared to these examinations. Beside this, Editor won't keep all alignment as source brush is having in NotePad, by copy-pasting it multiple times brush is going altered and later this won't really help a new build... A lot of time consuming as long as I'm not skilled in maths...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
TankBeef
Adept
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:56 am

Re: CTF-Erazor

Post by TankBeef » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:15 pm

EvilGrins wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:17 am
SkYlInE wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:19 pm
EvilGrins wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:48 pm
I already had the music, love Mayhem.
True met it first on Monsterhunt, never heard it in CTF tho.
I first heard it on a Deathmatch map ages ago, forget which one. MonsterHunt didn't exist yet, though.
From top of my head, Empowered][ (I love that map :D ), Mobius and of course Swanky's Vrais, I play that one a lot. Lots more of course.
EDIT: Oh yes, forgot, Pikko used it for his VIP map. :tu:

User avatar
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Posts: 2501
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:26 am
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko
Location: Kaunas, Lithuania

Re: CTF-Erazor

Post by UnrealGGecko » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:23 am


User avatar
SkYlInE
Average
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:12 pm

Re: CTF-Erazor

Post by SkYlInE » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:57 pm

sektor2111 wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:05 pm
This is what I did still unfinished because it's more data for sorting...
ReducedPolys.PNG
I feel exhausting all this walking through data. Pathing was a piece of cake compared to these examinations. Beside this, Editor won't keep all alignment as source brush is having in NotePad, by copy-pasting it multiple times brush is going altered and later this won't really help a new build... A lot of time consuming as long as I'm not skilled in maths...
Did you found a solution with the texture problems on the floor yet?

Had not the time to have a look at it recently :(

User avatar
sektor2111
Godlike
Posts: 5513
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: On the roof.

Re: CTF-Erazor

Post by sektor2111 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:14 am

When vertexes are cross-linked, in that place polygons are interleaved, these are generating multiple textures on a surface - flickering surfaces. Brush has to be reworked properly or it needs to be edited as TXT format. Now that's a puzzle which I cannot decrypt. Similar to Pikko's maps which are nice but they do ugly flickering in the most of renders in certain places.
The only thing that can be done for me is loading brush in Notepad and removing suspect polygons one by one - switching textures might help a bit, importing one by one adjusted copies of edited brush and rebuilding map X times all day long. During this time I had to apply some corrections at builder which is on my working table and that thing it's time consuming too...

However, a version with less flickering surfaces and paths simplified is this one:
CTF-Erazor_rS664.7z
If you don't see in game issues, this means I can add it in a public server. This is the type of CTF environment which I really like.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
sektor2111
Godlike
Posts: 5513
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: On the roof.

Re: CTF-Erazor

Post by sektor2111 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:34 am

Okay, those numbers and that bunch of polys interleaved weren't making me really happy. Perhaps the solution is simplicity:
- No interleaved polys
- Less Polys
- No flickering
Something like this:
Simple_Erazor.PNG
It's not like I needed that 2D Brush Tool... just cylinder builder and vertex edits and removing floating numbers...
And now The Evidences... You can Import this brush:
Erazor_Room.7z
Then drop textures on surfaces and Align at wall/floor, etc.

Edit: Order of brush in Map is important or else some walls are going vanished.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
SkYlInE
Average
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:12 pm

Re: CTF-Erazor

Post by SkYlInE » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:57 pm

UnrealGGecko wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:40 pm
SkYlInE wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:10 pm
UnrealGGecko wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:00 pm
Argh! Coret textures! RUUUN!!
jk :mrgreen:
I think the same about the coret textures but i thought i should have created at least one map with it :loool:
hahaha, same mentality here, I'd like to make a map for near every available texture pack, think I might have an idea with coret textures, but it's gonna take me a loooong time to even get to there :ironic:
SkYlInE wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:10 pm
If you want to create a Jailbreak Version of this feel free, i have no clue how to do it. If you do so im interested in having it as i like this mod too :tu:
Yea would need to figure out as well, best to have a look at how the other JB maps have done it I guess. Would need some new stuff in though (jails, maybe an execution, the 1v1 arena). I'd love to get more JB maps but am ok if it doesn't happen. Don't think I'll have a go for this one.
https://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Ma ... _Jailbreak
May your wish come true :loool:

i tried to do a jailbreak version of this one..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Posts: 2501
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:26 am
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko
Location: Kaunas, Lithuania

Re: CTF-Erazor

Post by UnrealGGecko » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:44 pm

:tu: Legend! Hope to try it soon!

EDIT: Dang it works nice as a JB map! Lovely job! Nice changes for the middle hole too. Maybe the escape is a bit too easy to access (or just add a tiny obstacle course in there), and with a proper execution, I'd say this would be a great addition to the JB playlist :) Big respect for doing this, man! :gj:

User avatar
EvilGrins
Godlike
Posts: 8240
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:12 pm
Personal rank: God of Fudge
Location: Palo Alto, CA

Re: CTF-Erazor

Post by EvilGrins » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:04 pm

SkYlInE wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:34 pm
Added the Monsterhunt Map you obviously didnt played yet, its nothing special but fun to play.
I've played it before, actually.

What my point was is that Mayhem was on a few maps before Monsterhunt ever came out.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
Image
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758

User avatar
Aspide
Average
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:13 am

Re: CTF-Erazor

Post by Aspide » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:45 pm

I played the Jailbreak version and I noticed that the bots don't go for the jail switches.... :(

You need to put a pathnode close to the TeamActivatedTrigger actor and put the name of that pathnode in the NearestPathNodeTag property in TeamActivatedMechanism, this new version of the map has that problem fixed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Somewhere in Nevada...

User avatar
SkYlInE
Average
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:12 pm

Re: CTF-Erazor

Post by SkYlInE » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:08 am

UnrealGGecko wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:44 pm
:tu: Legend! Hope to try it soon!

EDIT: Dang it works nice as a JB map! Lovely job! Nice changes for the middle hole too. Maybe the escape is a bit too easy to access (or just add a tiny obstacle course in there), and with a proper execution, I'd say this would be a great addition to the JB playlist :) Big respect for doing this, man! :gj:
Gonna work on the escape Route.

Aspide wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:45 pm
I played the Jailbreak version and I noticed that the bots don't go for the jail switches.... :(

You need to put a pathnode close to the TeamActivatedTrigger actor and put the name of that pathnode in the NearestPathNodeTag property in TeamActivatedMechanism, this new version of the map has that problem fixed.
Yes i recognized that too during the gameplay. Just could not upload the newer version in here


Cheers for that

User avatar
SkYlInE
Average
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:12 pm

Re: CTF-Erazor

Post by SkYlInE » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:24 am

I recognized that the airstrike in the jail when the whole team is captured wont work on servers. Are there any settings i have to change to get this work?