Texture display issue for a sheet brush

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
stockgamer
Novice

Texture display issue for a sheet brush

Post by stockgamer » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:52 pm

Haven't posted here before, so I hope this is the right discussion group for the issue I'm going to describe.

Using Unreal Editor 2.0 (From UT99/2k GOTY Edition v436), I created a simple room using the Cube Brush (1024x1024x1024) and added a 256x256 sheet (AX_YAxis) that serves as a visual design in the room. In the images below, there's an additional add brush between the wall and the sheet, but that was just me figuring out if the sheet next to an Add vs. a Subtract makes a difference. It doesn't.

The textures used for the room and sheet were chosen from the standard UT99 texture packs. When I bring the sheet closer to the wall e.g. 1/2/3 units away, the texture on the sheet remains displayed correctly until I Build All. As soon as it's built, the sheet texture immediately appears "black". Keeping the sheet 4 or more units away from the wall does not exhibit this issue. Using a Masked Decoration special brush (Masked, 2-sided, Non-Solid) also has the same effect.

Trying to create a strong light source in front/behind the sheet and moving it around temporarily illuminates the texture, but reverts back to the "black appearance" after the lighting is rebuilt.

Has anyone else run into this problem ?

Here's the before and after
before.jpg
after.jpg

My Build Settings
build_settings.jpg

Texture Surface Properties
sheet_surface_properties.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by stockgamer on Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Barbie
Godlike

Re: Texture display issue for a sheet brush

Post by Barbie » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:07 pm

What about reducing your map to the brushes in question and post it here?
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett

Aspide
Average

Post by Aspide » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:13 pm

I replicated what you did, and I didn't encounter the problem. Try to recreate the sheet from scratch and see if it happens again, one solution is to make the surface unlit, but that is a last resort.

I will keep investigating.
Somewhere in Nevada...

stockgamer
Novice

Post by stockgamer » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:16 pm

Barbie wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:07 pm
What about reducing your map to the brushes in question and post it here?
Do you mean match the size of the room (cube brush) and the sheet brush ? So the sheet will appear to fill an entire wall ?

Automatically merged

Aspide wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:13 pm
I replicated what you did, and I didn't encounter the problem. Try to recreate the sheet from scratch and see if it happens again, one solution is to make the surface unlit, but that is a last resort.

I will keep investigating.
For purposes of posting the results of my experience to this forum, I had created the sample room and sheet from scratch. And setting the property to unlit does solve the behavior, but unfortunately does not honor the lighting that applies to the rest of room.

Aspide
Average

Post by Aspide » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:39 pm

I have found the solution to a similar problem. There is a tutorial that mentions that the size of the texture of a surface can make the surface look completely black.

Here is a link to the tutorial: https://lodev.org/unrealed/lighting/lig ... tml#bright

The only problem is that you are having a problem with a sheet, but it's worth a try.
Somewhere in Nevada...

stockgamer
Novice

Post by stockgamer » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:50 pm

Aspide, I will go through the tutorial link.

I'm not sure if the following is what Barbie wanted me to try, but I created a sheet as big as the wall in the room. So Cube Brush=1024x1024x1024, and Sheet Brush=1024x1024. Results Below:

Plain Room without the Sheet
without_sheet.jpg

Room with Sheet filling the entire wall, but 4 units away from wall
more_than_4_units.jpg

Room with Sheet filling the entire wall, but 2 units away from wall
less_than_4_units.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aspide
Average

Post by Aspide » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:01 am

I've managed to recreate the problem, and the tutorial's solution works. You have to check the Bright Corners box in surface properties and presto.
Somewhere in Nevada...

Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:19 pm

The sheet also needs to be away from a wall like 2 or 4 or more units. When seen from far away it will create a modulation of the wall and the sheet, like rotating lines.
Binary Space Partitioning

stockgamer
Novice

Post by stockgamer » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:04 am

Aspide wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:01 am
I've managed to recreate the problem, and the tutorial's solution works. You have to check the Bright Corners box in surface properties and presto.
Great research !! Enabling Bright Corners fixes it ! Fake Backdrop will fix it too, but when a Sky Box is present, it'll be pointless.

And here's something else I found - This "black hole" effect on the sheet appears to occur only when placed close to specific faces of the encapsulating 6-faced cube. Look at the screenshot below.
oriented_dynamic_view.jpg
To observe the above, position the camera below the cube in the top view of Unreal Editor.

So the rear, left and bottom sheets are impacted by close proximity to the cube faces, while the front, right and top faces work without a problem. All sheets are 1 unit away in the screenshots above. When enabling Bright Corners to the sheet adjacent to the rear wall/face it looks like this.
with_bright_corner.jpg
If there's ever a scenario where the sheet is as big as one of the cube faces (for solid unmasked sheets, you might as well apply the texture directly to the cube face), true to its name, the corner shadows will be completely eliminated for that face ! To get that realism back, the sheet could be placed 4 units in front of the wall and Bright Corners turned off.

Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:08 pm

I thought greeny brushes are for sheets.

stockgamer
Novice

Post by stockgamer » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:07 pm

Brushes with green outlines are usually special brushes. And yes, you do see a fair amount of special brushes used as sheets e.g. separating the Water Zone, for Masked Decor, etc.,

Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:57 am

The way it works is that a sheet IS not solid. Therefor you use a nonsolid brush. :thuup: