Resources for textures?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Marscaleb
Average

Resources for textures?

Post by Marscaleb » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:18 am

Are there any good resources for new/custom textures for maps?
Some place I can get new textures to make a more unique-looking map?

UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: Resources for textures?

Post by UnrealGGecko » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:38 am

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=4683
Hasnt been updated in a while but that thread could have some things.

Other than that, browse through the „report new downloads” section of our forum, or check some custom maps that use custom utx files, some include either a seperate readme for that texture pack or put info about that texture file in the readme.

Marscaleb
Average

Post by Marscaleb » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:54 pm

Well that's a handy thread.
I was kinda thinking of "ready to use" textures that I can just plug strait into the editor, as opposed to resources for creating new textures. Most of the sites don't have tiling images. But still, many of these are sites I hadn't heard of before, and I can find some good stuff there.

I was kinda hoping to find something akin to realm 667, but for UT. I mean, the modding community has been around for a long time, I kinda figure someone would have compiled a good list of resources like that, even if most of them were just stolen from other games. (Which is also something Realm 667 is guilty of.) Hell, most games for the next five years were working at the same pixel depth, so someone could have made one site with textures and resources for everything from the era; UT, Quake 3, Red Faction had modding I think...

Granted, unlike Doom textures, with UT you can do a lot more with basic textures. If you need a decorative window in a building, you can just build a window shape. If you need a trim pattern across a wall, you can build it as a brush.
But even saying that, it is helpful to have textures that work together aesthetically. Not just in terms of theme, but also to have colors that work well together, matching levels of grime and grunge, and that generally match in terms of how busy they are, what kind of art style they employ, and a host of other qualities that are hard to define. None of the textures in these big games were just dropped in straight from a photo; they have all been tweaked and modified so that they look good.

FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:15 am

There are a lot of texture that would work for you... You would have to look around a bit though.
Perhaps if you listed some specific "themes" you're interested in, people could chime in with specific utx recommendations..

A few suggestions for you (off the top of my head) -

ChicoRuinsPack.utx - many examples of usage - check Kami, derdak, hortons_who, an dof course chico
DNA.utx - a nice tech set - see some later swanky maps for good use examples
HH3_Clockwork.utx - a mapper cooloola demos good use of hh3 custom utx
HH3_SingleMalt.utx - ditto
HH3_Vendetta.utx - ditto
HourIceSkaarj.utx - many mappers, iirc deck40 is one ..
HourIndusX_UT.utx - many maps
HourKraden_UT.utx - check out maps by hourances, and iirc alexaneer made a nice one
HourPitores_UT.utx - many maps
UTTech4.utx - general purpose urban...

There are very many -
best to get one of the ut texture viewer so you can view utx files to assess etc.
you can search for these utx on some of the archive sites

Have fun...

Fnb
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***

Marscaleb
Average

Post by Marscaleb » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:34 pm

FraGnBraG wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:15 am
Perhaps if you listed some specific "themes" you're interested in, people could chime in with specific utx recommendations..
Honestly I don't have specific ideas at this point; I was just kicking around several ideas and just wondered if there was a good centralized source for extra resources. Maybe I might find something that appealed to one of my ideas; maybe I'd get a better idea of what I want to do.

jmartin
Average

Post by jmartin » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:36 pm

Finding just the right textures, sound effects and music for a new map is half the fun.

Back in the old days, (before humans discovered fire) this was a very laborious time consuming process.

Thank goodness today we have Google Images.

For example, I could never find just the right vintage hot dog menu for the bowling alley snack counter in DmShoppingmall.

It sat blank for all these years until I did an update about 15 months ago.

Went to Google Images, typed in "vintage diner menu". . . BING! popped right up.

A little resizing and color correcting, now my shoppers don't have to starve to death. :-)

FraGnBraG wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:15 am

There are very many -
best to get one of the ut texture viewer so you can view utx files to assess etc.
you can search for these utx on some of the archive sites

Thanks Rob

Wow, I could actually use one of those.

Thanks for the tip! :tu:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.