Reupload of my maps

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
TankBeef
Masterful

Re: Reupload of my maps

Post by TankBeef »

FraGnBraG wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:17 pm The ultimate assault map made for UT99 has to be FoT-Chronoshift, hands down.
Yes, that map is definitely a masterpiece. :tu: I still play the deathmatch maps more often, but only because it is my favorite game mode. :lol2:
Revelation
Average
Personal rank: UEngine violator

Post by Revelation »

Neon_Knight wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:55 pmIn that case you should contact Shrimp, who's here and in charge of UA, and tell him about your worries. Or open an issue on http://github.com/unreal-archive/unreal-archive-data.
Nah, I don't care about this enough any more to go through the hassle of having a file removed which I uploaded myself by now. Why would I, the map file is intact, and noone ever in the history of UT has looked at a Readme anyway. So yeah, Unreal Archive still doesn't meet my standards of what or what not should be uploaded, but 13 years after release, why would I really care?^^

But while we're at it: Considering all the praise I received for Chronoshift back then, and I appearently still receive here... Are you serious? I need to share a little background, because I really wonder about that... I mean yeah, I also think it is my best map. Can't argue. But "THE BEST Assault ever"? Not even close if you ask me. :lol2:
First of all, the old classics like Cold Steel, Bridge and Astenosphere easily outshine it. And then, I always see Chronnoshift in its context: I only joined FoT5, when the map was almost done geometry- and lighting-wise. And all of a sudden being part of a FoT pack again, the map needed to compete with Derdak's Mothership and FnB's Orion's Curse from FoT4. And I think it couldn't. So I went buck wild on all the scripting, did the time shift, the footstep sounds, the interpolated end cam, the sun flare, the gravity field and finally the choosable graphics. If I may be completely honest, I think I just overwhelmed you with all the eye candy. :lol2:
Because subtract all that (except the time shift, which is actually a relevant gameplay element), and Chronoshift may or may not compete with Mothership and Orion's. But Cold Steel? That's a completely different level.^^

Yeah I know, rating your own maps is bad, but I do it anyway because why not? :mrgreen:
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Speaking of Chronoshift - map only for local play. No any possibility play on network. Channels overflow too fast, because every show particle is tracked as usual actor from server.
Same stuff for light. For set bDynamicLight on 370 Lights used LightBeam class which constantly eat channels. Same problem with ice. But at least ice actors not so many.

Also very many actors override default bStatic=true, so prevent work it on v436.

But it general map good. And with some fixes can be playable over network.
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

TankBeef wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:12 pm
Neon_Knight wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:52 pm Hi! Thank you for uploading your maps! I look forward to play them once I have some time. Have you uploaded them to the Unreal Archive too?
Ok, don't know what others think, and correct me if wrong, but...I would probably recommend whenever possible, download Revelation and Swanky maps from moddb, to make sure you have the most recent version. Unreal Archive, one of the few great UT resources we have today, but the maps available are not always the latest ones. Or...they have many versiones and duplicates of the same map, and it is not always obvious which ones the author intended to be "final" or "official". But I may be speculating, you tell me.
OT, but the way to make this better is to report issues, request deletion of duplicates, suggest or contribute cleanups, and flagging of the "official" versions. For specific maps and files, contact me directly, or just log issues as Neon_Knight suggests, just make it clear what specifically needs correction.
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!