How was this texture trick done?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

How was this texture trick done?

Post by fudgonaut »

In the map CTF-IztacB1 I noticed an additional level of texture detail in places. Check out this screenshot:

texturetrick.jpg

Notice the fine cracks in the in-game texture, verus the low-res original in the upper right corner.

My best guess is that the mapper used a texture ("rockde2") from detail.utx along with a surface flag of "modulated"

But I don't know for sure. I can't find any information on how to use "modulated" nor can I find any info on who created this map in order to contact them.

Anybody know how to do this trick, applying two textures to one surface? Or does anyone know who who made this map?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: How was this texture trick done?

Post by EvilGrins »

Textures in game can be sharper or fuzzier when applied to certain surfaces. It just sorta works that way.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Re: How was this texture trick done?

Post by Swanky »

Standard textures have a detail texture like that applied by default. The game will however not display it when you haven't set the flag in the renderer.
I also remember setting such a detail as a macro texture for custom textures (probably dumb in hindsight but doesn't cost a lot of performance - should probably only set detail texture), so it should always show regardless of said flag.

To check, right click the texture in the texture browser and hit properties -> texture.