BlockAll actor which blocks players, but not translocator

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Berserker
Experienced

Re: BlockAll actor which blocks players, but not translocator

Post by Berserker »

sektor2111 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:05 pm
Note: Last time I touched some "LE" maps, really nice, an extreme beautiful design but... no paths, detracting Off-Line players from enjoying them... To me this way of doing it's a loss for the game...
Well, the competitive community is massive and much bigger and active than the offline community, so they don't need to appeal to offline players and they never intended to.

The purpose of the LE versions is to be included in online cups and tourneys, sometimes even LANs. Some of the cups include prize money as well. Last year there were about 6 or more cups in all kinds of modes (iCTF, CTF, TDM, Assault, Siege, Duel). One of the cups managed to raise $2000 prize money, and it had actual paid sponsors as well.

LE maps need to have flawless gameplay flow, making paths for their map is basically wasted work for them. That's because they need to put all of their effort and energy in balancing the map properly, so it can be accepted by the competitive community and played online pretty much every day for years. Otherwise, if the gameplay balance is even slightly off, their maps (like mine) won't be accepted and never played or included in cups. LE maps needs to have the PERFECT gameplay balance and it is not an easy thing to do, nobody will care if your map is pretty or not - It can use a single texture and basic lighting trough the whole map, but as long as the gameplay is balanced it will satisfy everyone.
Visit us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/fcRakgNCjR Image
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

In terms of "PERFECT" probably I don't need to show you what was "PERFECT" in some of them.... But, because I really like your works, I'll tell you a small secret: Adding Paths in a map where only human players are playing are not damaging anything.
f7r
Experienced

Post by f7r »

As well, paths add some true capacity for only-human playing, like an aforesaid relics and more complicated fun things. I understand that in fact it is difficult and requires special skills - to make good faithful paths. Therefore and that is why, the massive big and active community is simply don't care about it. Only here is not necessary to tell us that this is not need and even more inflict pain on the only-human gameplay.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Not related to A.I. subject, I tested a few minutes ago what's going on On-Line with this Translocator and BlockAll - because I was curious about the other reversal complain from Here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13202 .

Conclusion: Even if Tele-Disc appears to pass through Blocker due to replication things, the Disc IS NOT passing through a BlockAll doesn't matter what client can see. IF players could get over that BlockAll - there problem comes from elsewhere such as:
- BlockAll is TOO SMALL;
- BlockAll did not Spawn;
- Tele-Disc is another "family" capable to breach a BlockAll;
- unknown reasons ?

The other conclusion: This idea of a map where Translocator is mandatory should be completely forget. Not everywhere Translocator is accepted, maps requiring this thing perhaps are not going to have too much success, they'll look broken. LE matches probably don't need buggers and "ideas" - they only need game-flow. It's why these maps are carefully sorted and not everything goes in a competition where are involved money and prizes, there is about playing skills and nothing like any SP specific puzzling or stunts.