Cant get CreatureFactorys to work

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Red_Fist
Godlike

Cant get CreatureFactorys to work

Post by Red_Fist »

I can't get ANY creature factory to cooperate from ANY version. Really pisses me off why, why why can't it just have a setup like

How many in the bin
How many before reset
How many on screen at once.

So all this crap and all I wanted to do is shoot a mover, trigger the factory, get one, reset, shoot mover, trigger factory get one, oh hell no.

and property flippers don't work either.
Binary Space Partitioning
Barbie
Godlike

Re: UT99 stuff by Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Red_Fist wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:42 pm I can't get ANY creature factory to cooperate from ANY version. Really pisses me off
Who who who, calm down! There is an example map in the package - did you have a look at it?
In the beginning of the code is a small HowTo:
SBRetriggerableCreatureFactory.uc wrote:

Code: Select all

/******************************************************************************
SBRetriggerableCreatureFactory, Version 4.

This is a CreatureFactory that can be retriggered after a spawn cycle.
*MaxLivingItems* is the maximum number of *Prototype* that can exist at any
time.
*MaxItems* and *Capacity* are as usual for one spawn cycle.

Set *bOnlyTriggerable* to TRUE if you want to disable *Touch* and *UnTouch*.

2016-02-19, SeriousBarbie AT googlemail MAKEADOT com
******************************************************************************/
Have you found that, too?
Red_Fist wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:42 pm property flippers don't work either
Yes. That error can easily fixed by having a look into the crystal ball. Or wait, I better use coffee grounds. More input, plz.

And btw: Do you really think I publish software that does not work? If I get such feedback I better stay private with it.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I read that, nothing works, using the property flipper will not reset anything back to one, stock or yours, does the same thing, 4,4 you get 4 or one at a time, still won't reset to 4 from 0 using flipper.

This has nothing to do with you , I just didn't get any different results that or the stock version, I hate those things, WHY did they write it like that.

"MaxLivingItems* no help, didn't do anything different from stock, same thing

"*MaxItems* and *Capacity* are as usual for one spawn cycle." same as stock, it runs out never get more, once they run out, no more spawn.

Using a flipper, it never makes it have more than zero when it runs out. I tried everything.

I get one spawn, 1 for screen, one in capacity, once I got my one spawn, it never spawns another after being reset by the flipper back to one.

Not sure I seen the test map, but it's not that hard there is only a few settings.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

I cannot see why you mix this up with a "flipper"? The SBRetriggerableCreatureFactory acts like a normal factory: once triggered or touched, it spawns things according to its usual settings. When its Capacity has run out, it stops until it is triggered again. Then another spawn cycle begins.

Automatically merged

Red_Fist wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:00 am "MaxLivingItems* no help, didn't do anything different from stock, same thing
Imagine capacity=100 and maxitems=100. Once a factory starts, 100 thingies are spawned and factory stops. What happens when a SBRetriggerableCreatureFactory is triggered again then? Yes, another 100 are spawned, regardless how many of that are still existing.
MaxLivingItems limits that; it should be always bigger or equal to maxitems.

(I introduced that after I've seen thousands of spawned monster in a map. :oops: )
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Ok so the "trigger" part is to restock after zero ?

But the idea is that I want to shoot a mover and get only 1 thing, shoot mover again get one more. (or any event from any actor), pawns dead, another counter counting something else like 3 movers, 3 pickups or whatever. So 3 deaths or 3 events from anything, the factory resets to 3.

I think a counter should be incorporated in the factory code and not have to use a counter. The problem there is, the stupid thing factory TAG and counter TAG need to be the same. So I can't get 1, because the tag has to count the same TAG as the EVENT of the mover.

It should be, EVENT of counter sends it's EVENT after the amount has been reached, then reset the counter, but you can't because the factory needs the same tag. So you have to use tags and events on the same actor with the same event AND tag, lines all over the place and can't work.
I want the factory to do it all. no counters, so if I set it to 1,000,000 capacity, and 1 max, each time the factory is triggered.
But you can't count because it need the damn TAG !!! I really wish this was fixed or made sensible logic.

Set capacity so it never runs out (another thing that should be fixed, they say -1, and that don't work either.)
Then set , how many spawn per each event, to then a setting that resets it for that amount each time it's triggered, never using a separate counter. Also no touching, because everything should be controlled from an event.

I never understood why one would want a factory to be touched in the first place, take that whole mess out, and only use events from something else.
So I could see the ,stop spawning, ONLY from capacity if all you wanted was to spawn very few enemies ONE TIME walking up to the door.
As opposed to sending an event, over and over until capacity runs out.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Red_Fist wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:10 pm Ok so the "trigger" part is to restock after zero ?
Yes.
Red_Fist wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:10 pmBut the idea is that I want to shoot a mover and get only 1 thing, shoot mover again get one more.
Do you know that the spawned Actor must be destroyed (technically: must rise factories' Event) to decrease factories' counter? (See Thingfactory > State Spawning > function Trigger) So when you spawn an Actor that does not raise factories' Event, a second spawn cycle it is not solvable by SBRetriggerableCreatureFactory because the factory never ends the first cycle.

And why not reduce the thought: I understand it in the way that every time you raise an Event you want to have something spawned. Let the Mover out until that is solved.
I recently solved similar by the following custom Actor. Maybe it helps. Test map also attached.
PointToSpawnAny

Code: Select all

class PointToSpawnAny expands NavigationPoint;

var() class<Actor> SpawnType;
var() bool bRotatingPickup;
var() EPhysics SpawnPhysics;

function Trigger(actor Other, pawn EventInstigator) {
local Actor A;

A = Spawn(SpawnType);
	if (A != None)
	{
		A.SetPhysics(SpawnPhysics);
		if (Inventory(A) != None)
			Inventory(A).bRotatingPickup = bRotatingPickup;
	}
}

defaultproperties {
      bRotatingPickup=False
      bDirectional=True
      Texture=Texture'UnrealShare.S_SpawnP'
}
Sadly I did not get the sense of the reminder of your posting. :noidea
Attachments
TestPointToSpawnAny.unr.7z
(2.44 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: Cant get CreatureFactorys to work

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Split this from the "UT99 stuff by Barbie" thread, by request ;)
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Sorry, Ya I didn't plan to clog up your thread.

It all seems so illogical that a counter tag and factory tag in order to count.

If I could make a new factory it would be

MaxContainer

SpawnAmount

MaxItemsAtOnce

CountSpawnAmount

ResetFactoryAmount

Or something all contained with settings for a factory only, no counters.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

🦉🦉🦉?
Barbie wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:31 pmWho who who
Think you meant "Woah woah woah!"
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Not really knowing how it works, but maybe code it so there is no concern on the items event or tag or if it was picked up or killed, that is spawned relative to the factory.
In other words just crowbar it so it only spits things out according to what you want.