Need help recovering a DM map I'm making

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Need help recovering a DM map I'm making

Post by fudgonaut »

I was working on a custom WetTexture I made in MyLevel using this technique: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php? ... 522#p56522

Somewhere in the process, I must have accidentally cleared a texture parameter. Now the map won't load:

Code: Select all

Warning: Failed to load "D:\GAMES\Unreal Tournament\Maps\_jadmm_17.unr": Can't find Palette in file "Palette FJOtex03.FX.Palette1"..
Warning: Failed loading package: Can't find Palette in file "Palette FJOtex03.FX.Palette1"..
If I can just get the editor to open it I can remove the offending brush/texture.

I tried fooling the editor by taking a palette from Palettes.utx and saving/renaming it in my custom texture file, FJOtex03.utx. So that the editor could read 'FJOtex03.FX.Palette1' but that didn't work.

Does anyone have suggestions on how I can recover this map? I stand to lose several days of work if I cannot recover it.

Please help!!!
Buggie
Godlike

Re: Need help recovering a DM map I'm making

Post by Buggie »

Need look at file for something say. Can be send in PM if you want.

If you want do it self try understand what wrong with Pallete / Texture via some tools like UTPT or UE Explorer.
After that possible able or hijack need stuff or by HexEdit map for correct linkage.
Aspide
Skilled

Post by Aspide »

It seems that Palette1 from FJOtex03 was either changed or removed. See if you have a previous version of that texture package. Also when you make MyLevel WetTextures is a good idea to use MyLevel textures as the base, maybe that's the reason why the map can't load.
Somewhere in Nevada...
fudgonaut
Adept

Post by fudgonaut »

Buggie wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:42 pm Need look at file for something say. Can be send in PM if you want.
PM sent - thanks!
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

If you have autosave iption turned on, check for an Autoplay.unr in your maps folder. That might be a saved version of your map without the problem yet.
fudgonaut
Adept

Post by fudgonaut »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:48 pm If you have autosave iption turned on, check for an Autoplay.unr in your maps folder.
Sadly the autoplay exhibits the same problem :(
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Aren't there "Auto0.unr" to "Auto9.unr" in the Maps folder? These are older auto saved maps from editor.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Map use Pallete1 as object of type Palette.
Texture file use Pallete1 as object of type Texture.

Anyway name Texture as Pallete1 is very bad idea.

For load map need change Textures.

So
1. Open FJOtex03.UTX file via v436 editor (important!).
2. In Group FX Delete Texture Palette1.
3. All other textures in group FX export to appropriate PCX files in some folder.
4. After export remove all textures in FX group.
5. Save package.
6. Restart UnrealEd.
7. Load again FJOtex03.UTX.
8. Import all saved PCX files back to package FX.
9. Save package.

Now you can use it for open your map. Even in v469b editor.

Why v436 editor? It make palettes with flag RF_Public. Without that you can get next error on load:
Can't import private object

Fixed UTX send in PM.
fudgonaut
Adept

Post by fudgonaut »

Thank you Buggie!

I'm not sure how I re-named the texture Palette1 but I will be more careful. I'll have to set up another install somewhere so I have a 436 version of the editor.

On the subject of fractal textures (FireTexture, IceTexture, WaterTexture) does anyone know of any documentation or tutorials that describe what the different parameters do? I've played with some of the values (beginning with the prefix FX_) but even with the texture Properties preview, sometimes it's hard to see how changing the values (0-255) change the effects.

You would think changing a value like FX_Size, FX_Speed, FX_Time (etc) would make a visible difference on the texture effect, but that does not always seem to be the case.

Anyway, thank you again Buggie, you saved me hours and hours of work, and your praises will be sung in the map's readme when it is released!