CTF-XV-ParkingLot

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Neon_Knight
Adept

CTF-XV-ParkingLot

Post by Neon_Knight »

With the advent of Feralidragon's XVehicles (and Buggie's subsequent bugfixes and releases), I figured out it was time to take a very, VEEEEEEEEEEEERY old map from my dark past and try to de-suckify it a bit. And, OFC, add real vehicles to it. Here's the result.

BE AWARE THAT THIS MAP DOESN'T SUPPORT BOTPLAY AS OF A1.

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fg5egj8atuq3e ... 1.zip?dl=0
For those curious, this is the original map, for comparison: https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... 6e35c.html

PICS!

OldUnreal U1v227/UTv469 Localization Project coordinator/spanish language maintainer - Unreal Wiki
ProTip 1: anybody using the phrase "I'm a True Fan and You're Not!" is an obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, elitist, narcissist douchebag.
ProTip 2: anybody who uses the "Royal We" when making a demand wants to pass their own opinion as everyone else's.
ProTip 3: Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ProTip 4: If the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wasn't enough of a lesson, perfectionism leads to nothing positive. Don't be afraid of releasing a buggy product. Even the most polished product has its flaws.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: CTF-XV-ParkingLot

Post by EvilGrins »

Doesn't support bots? Did you remove the pathing?? Because it originally did support them.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Maybe he means bots in vehicles?...
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Gustavo6046 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:59 amMaybe he means bots in vehicles?...
For the most part, bot pathing also effects bots in vehicles, and in that this map is not big enough for the number of vehicles on it.

This is a medium sized map with most of the activity in the parking areas, and a bit between them. Bots handle the map well enough, but the vehicles largely get in the way more than enhance the map's experience.

It needs less vehicles on it. There's too many jeeps.
Attachments
Shot0106.png
Shot0112.png
Shot0094.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

Yeah, my intention was to redo it, alongside the weapon/item placement.
OldUnreal U1v227/UTv469 Localization Project coordinator/spanish language maintainer - Unreal Wiki
ProTip 1: anybody using the phrase "I'm a True Fan and You're Not!" is an obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, elitist, narcissist douchebag.
ProTip 2: anybody who uses the "Royal We" when making a demand wants to pass their own opinion as everyone else's.
ProTip 3: Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ProTip 4: If the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wasn't enough of a lesson, perfectionism leads to nothing positive. Don't be afraid of releasing a buggy product. Even the most polished product has its flaws.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

1. Too many vehs.
2. Tank is overkill.
3. Roads behind bases useless. Make teleport to base here?
4. Some jeeps in blue and red base place inside ground.
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

Noting all the feedback (somebody also discovered a BSP HoM in the red base). Perhaps not this weekend, but the next week I'll take a look at all of this.
Neon_Knight
Adept

CTF-XV-ParkingLot-a2 released!

Post by Neon_Knight »

a02 released:
  • Zone names
  • Vehicle, weapon and item placement switched. (Open to suggestions on how to improve this)
  • Added bot pathing, first pass.
  • Opened two entrances behind the flags in order to get the lateral routes used.
  • Added two obelisks in the courtyards.
  • Overall lighting reworked.
  • Had to get rid of the upper billboards. Turns out making one just creates HoMs and invisible faces. Not worth the effort.
  • More minor and major changes I can't remember.
Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hjofubmnpp93o ... 2.zip?dl=0
Pictures:

sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I'm not sure if these are normal...
CTF_Birds.PNG
CTF_Birds.PNG (16.83 KiB) Viewed 389 times

Code: Select all

Specs: FlagBase0 - UpstreamPaths[0]=1600 ->PathNode3 --->FlagBase0 RFlags=Fly =2 Dist=512
Specs: FlagBase0 - UpstreamPaths[1]=1599 ->PathNode0 --->FlagBase0 RFlags=Fly =2 Dist=510
Specs: FlagBase0 - UpstreamPaths[2]=1596 ->DefensePoint10 --->FlagBase0 RFlags=Fly =2 Dist=266
Specs: FlagBase0 - UpstreamPaths[3]=1597 ->DefensePoint11 --->FlagBase0 RFlags=Fly =2 Dist=264
unless Bots used will be capable to fly or they touch FlagBase by accident during TDM combat - or 469x whatever has another deal...
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Yeah, sektor's MapGarbage reports that the two FlagBases may be/are too high above the ground (though that didn't seem to stop EG's bots getting 5 captures in 6.5 minutes - or more precisely one team getting 5 captures to the other team's none - which possibly suggests something awry somewhere as does 2 of the 4 bots on the losing team seemingly being completely out of the game as it were?).

Curious as to what the SpecialEvents are?

Agree with Buggie that the tank is overkill.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

There is a HealthPack somewhere if I well recall - behind Flag. Bots moving there are passing through FlagBase using other nodes, Flag is "kidnapped" but... routes going into FlagBases are not having normal movement specifications. I witnessed 4 minutes a stock CTF and it was 0 - 0. All I see is TDM and Bots dying often closer to the tank from 1st floor - I don't get what up over there.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

You're right of course. Reducing the height of/lowering the FlagBases would change the RFlags would it? Is that all it needs to get proper routes?

So what do you use to get those FlagBase properties that aren't available normally in the Editor?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Map aspect can be held exactly as it is but delivering paths. If I well recall I pointed solutions before:
- put flags normally;
- build paths;
- move flags post pathing where they need to be.
Else:
- put flags normally;
- build paths;
- adjust PrePivot with 20+ UU - they will look upper but... are navigable normally.
After setting up walkable stuff you'll figure something like CTF - right now is TDM.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Notes:
1. FlagBases put "visually" - for end of mesh touch ground, instead of put them normally. As result - its fly in air unreachable for bots.
2. XVehcilesCTF mutator on map missed.
3. Only one weapon spot which is far away from respawn so most time only enfocer used. Also this cause easy respawn kill, if you stay on enemy weapon point while bots try equip.
4. Tank overkill and count of all factors simple rape anyone on base respawns while teammates simple deliver flag.
5. Map overflowed with obstacles for drive, so make almost no point use jeep.
6. Drive paths for bots is bad, so bot constantly drop vehicles everywhere.
7. AlternatePaths simple dropped by radius to base which lead to travel in direct visibility of flag for later try go to behind wall. OFC this walk good noticeable, HP damaged and bot appearance very expected.
Neon_Knight
Adept

CTF-XV-ParkingLot-a2c

Post by Neon_Knight »

Here's a quick fix for the flag problem.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w157s4uj1egb6 ... c.zip?dl=0
  • Fixed floating flags causing bot confusion.
  • Added locationids in the plazas nearby and behind the flag bases.
  • Added lights in the obelisk so that ugly shadow disappears.
  • Added collision hulls in the nearby towers.
The collision change forbids players from playing atop of the nearby towers. But it needs testing because players may find it useful to play on them. I'll wait for feedback.

I still insist XVehicles needs an equivalent to the Manta or the UT3 Necris Viper. Any vehicle I put on this map ends up being overkill.